• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know - nobody asked me. But I was observing this morning how beautiful my well-carried Patina 35 is now that the patina has essentially worn off. Got me to thinking that I would be perfectly thrilled with a 'plain' aluminum BOSS, and maybe that would ease production costs, difficulty and reduce the time.

So if you could get a plain aluminum BOSS of any variety, would you be interested? Thought I'd post a little poll. I tell you, Oveready/Torchlab has set the standard for years to come, and although people naturally have preferences in finishes, this light is the best out there IN ANY FINISH! Along with unparalleled customer service from Torchlabs!

Wtlj

Newly Enlightened
No...
But id "settle" for an unfinished Titanium.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Personally, having had a number of uncoated raw aluminum flashlights, I am not enthusiastic about that option ... for bare metal, I'd much rather have titanium or stainless steel instead. (And yes, I'm referring to appearance, not thermal properties, etc, etc)

I think stonewashed Ti would be awesome. Perhaps the only thing I might prefer over that would be DLC-coated highly polished titanium :)

scout24

Flashaholic
I like the idea of the raw aluminum, being able in essence to "re-patina" at will with a rock tumbler and the proper media. It also seems to work harden the surface a bit, which helps keep the aluminum oxidation from rubbing off on my hands or pockets.

... But I was observing this morning how beautiful my well-carried Patina 35 is now that the patina has essentially worn off. ...

I'd like to have a L@@K at your well-carried Patina 35. Perhaps a photo could be posted. ;)

If I had the means, I'd love a polished titanium and a polished brass. Having all three (Patina 70 already acquired) would really be something!

~ Chance

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't care if it had been thown off the Empire State, run over by a dumper truck, eaten by a bear and poohed out the other end.
If it worked and I could afford it it would be mine.
P

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to have a L@@K at your well-carried Patina 35. Perhaps a photo could be posted. ;)

If I had the means, I'd love a polished titanium and a polished brass. Having all three (Patina 70 already acquired) would really be something!

~ Chance
Here's mine from the first batch. I have carried it every day since I received it. The patina is mostly worn on the tail and around the edges. Lighting makes it difficult to properly image. As to Dan's question, if I was a beggar I wouldn't be choosy. I'd take whatever came available. ;)
d50a57303670753ab4d9250c8558df34.jpg

mattw

Newly Enlightened
In a heartbeat, I actually like bare aluminum. I have removed the HA from several ljght.s.

Here's mine from the first batch. I have carried it every day since I received it. The patina is mostly worn on the tail and around the edges. Lighting makes it difficult to properly image. As to Dan's question, if I was a beggar I wouldn't be choosy. I'd take whatever came available. ;)

That's coming along nicely. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting a picture of it.

~ Chance

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

~ Chance

That's coming along nicely. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting a picture of it.

~ Chance

Here's yet another. Took this yesterday but just now getting around to posting.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

~ Chance

Doesn't look too bad in my opinion:-

That's beautiful, Daniel.

easilyled

Flashaholic
That's beautiful, Daniel.

Thanks Dan. If you wanted to, you could get the same result with your patina-worn 35 in about 5-10 minutes! You just need to enclose it in a very fine sponge pad and roll it evenly, then polish it with Autosol polishing cream and a polishing cloth.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dan. If you wanted to, you could get the same result with your patina-worn 35 in about 5-10 minutes! You just need to enclose it in a very fine sponge pad and roll it evenly, then polish it with Autosol polishing cream and a polishing cloth.

Thanks, Daniel! I might just try that. Do you ever carry it? The beautiful polished look would probably become a bit scratched up with carry, yes?
I dig the well-worn L@@K. :thumbsup: Are you going to let it continue to a de-patinaed patina, or are you considering polishing it ala easilyled's 70?

~ Chance

I may polish it. Just for grins. :D

UPDATE - well I got after it with some Wenol polish and a lint free cloth. 2 or 3 minutes max. Here's the result:

Last edited: