Review: Nitecore TM28 (Pics heavy)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the TM28 from Nitecore for the Review.

The TM28 is a Search and rescue light, running 4 XH-P 35 HI LEDs powered 4 18650 batteries. The light features a double stage electronic switch that controls the LEDs, and a digital display controlled by a separate single stage electronic switch. On the display several useful information appears, like the level and output, the runtime left, internal temperature and battery voltage. The TM28 features an integrated charging system for the 4 18650 batteries.

The TM28 comes in this big and heavy box.
Nitecore_TM28_01_zpsksoewqcf.jpg

Some disclaimers
Nitecore_TM28_02_zpsf6pfpsqi.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_04_zpsoedaz3r7.jpg

The light (comes in the sheath) with the batteries inside, manual, spare o-rings, adapter for using flat top 18650 and charging cable (EU plug in my sample).
Nitecore_TM28_03_zpssjvmfj3l.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_05_zpskzvacszh.jpg

My sample came with 4 18650 Nitecore 3100mAh IMR battery with PCB that allow current flow up to 10A.

The TM28 has a circular body with a big squared head, which is recognizable even when the light is in the sheath
Nitecore_TM28_06_zpsln0ncpqz.jpg

The light has an interesting look. I like the contrast generated by the sanded bezels, the smooth reflectors and the purple reflection on the glass.
Nitecore_TM28_07_zpsm3wmr69t.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_11_zps8cnk6jw1.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_17_zpsmtz3knix.jpg

The body is kind of short and the head rather heavy, but when the 4 18650 are inside, the light is well balanced in the hand.
Nitecore_TM28_12_zpsdkrlcewc.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_13_zpsk4ws6el9.jpg

Moving between the switches is easy
Nitecore_TM28_14_zpsvydgfobq.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_15_zpsw3ezrwdo.jpg

Some detail of the light
Nitecore_TM28_25_zpstvonh4xa.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_33_zps8mlw6uwc.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_23_zpsgj4w6ivw.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_20_zpsmpfnmqzy.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_19_zpsirduhw39.jpg

On one side, there is both the charging plug and the tripod screw.
Nitecore_TM28_18_zpsq3nahwcc.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_21_zpscof8wady.jpg

The charging port is covered by a rubber cover that stays solidly in position
Nitecore_TM28_24_zpsqzowh42y.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_27_zps8bkdzazr.jpg

Tailcap is flat and allows tailstand. It is glued in position and cannot be taken off with hands. It has a lanyard hole.
Nitecore_TM28_22_zpshuuzze4g.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_34_zpsuoerwbqb.jpg

Every one of the four XHP-35 Hi emitter is in a smooth separated smooth reflector, quite deep, and with an AR treated glass on top of each.
Nitecore_TM28_26_zpsa7ltqmqe.jpg

The light is compact (142 x 57 mm), a bit more than 2 18650 cells. The four batteries I received with the light
Nitecore_TM28_39_zpsc82ludli.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_37_zpswh0aef8o.jpg

On the batteries the labels says: Designed for TM28
Nitecore_TM28_36_zpsepfxendb.jpg

Taking the light apart
Nitecore_TM28_28_zpsjrgggzf7.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_30_zpsrr19pp3d.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_35_zpsvbgxilqw.jpg

Well made, anodized (physical lockout is possible) and lubed threads from the factory
Nitecore_TM28_29_zpscakv6mry.jpg

UI
Nitecore_TM28_UI_zpsjfdekkqo.png

The TM28 has two different sets of level, one that goes from 2 lumen to 2300, and another that goes from 2300 to 6000 (or 4500 if you use the light with li-ion batteries).

Some details of the OLED display
Nitecore_TM28_43_zpsze3hkewq.jpg

The display has two lines of text, and is backlit so it can be seen in the dark.
The first time you will see it lit is when you put batteries inside and twist the head on the body, it will turn on with NITECORE displaying, then it will ask you to choose which batteries are in the light (IMR, Li-ion, optional battery pack) scrolling through the options with the display switch, and confirming pressing the main switch.
Nitecore_TM28_42_zpso9fnc28i.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_41_zpszwq6bbip.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_40_zpsvzjyx0hl.jpg

For those who wonder what battery pack we are talking, it is the NBP68HD

Confirmed the batteries, the display will say Standby and give a voltage read of the cells.
Nitecore_TM28_49_zpskkhat8uy.jpg

The display will turn off in a few seconds. You can press the display switch waking up the display that will still tell you the light is in standby, and give you the reading of the cells. Even when the display is off the blue LED under the switch blink as a locator. To turn the locator off you need to untwist the head from the body, physically interrupting the current flow.

When you turn the light on or change level, the display will show the following information:
Level number and spec output
Nitecore_TM28_44_zpscckfezjf.jpg

Battery voltage
Nitecore_TM28_45_zpsu1mv8i4k.jpg

Gross battery capacity estimation
Nitecore_TM28_46_zpsagtwqahb.jpg

Gross runtime estimation
Nitecore_TM28_47_zpsxre0k9da.jpg

Internal Temperature
Nitecore_TM28_48_zpsyxbhlj2x.jpg

As you can see, the lettering have sharp and clear edges, and the info are easily deciphered.
Each information will be displayed for a bit less than 2 seconds (or you can scroll them manually pressing the display switch), and after a whole cycle (or 10 seconds), the display will turn off.
You can turn it back on at any time by pressing the display switch.

When you charge the batteries, the display will stay on and give you a read of the voltage (same when the batteries are charged). I do not have pics of that, so I will borrow one from Nitecore.

I have been told the charging current with the supplied power adapter is 2A, which divided on 4 cells, should result in 500mA per cell. The light does not work when charging; if the TM28 is on while you start the charging process the light will turn off, and turn back on when you unplug it.
On my sample while charging the batteries, I can read on the display on the last part of the charge: "Charging" and a voltage that oscillates from 4.20 to 4.25 volts. Once the charging is finished, the display reads from 4.20 to 4.22 volts. Once the batteries are charged, if I restart the charging process, the light will say "Charged" and the 4.20-4.22 volt value. Once the batteries are marked as charged, I measured their voltage, 4.18 volts.

Output and Runtime
Both measured with Nitecore 18650 IMR Protected 3100mAh batteries.
Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%201_zpsiwsjiziv.png

Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%202_zpseyh80prx.png

Detail
Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%203_zpsvn2xwrih.png

Nitecore_TM28_Temp_zpskucf7gcg.png

The light indeed gets quite hot but not at the point where you cannot hold it.

Let us see if a table fan can led to different charts
At turbo mode
Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%206_zpso07mszhb.png

Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%207_zpsv979gkbr.png

At high mode
Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%208_zps41ggwbjn.png

Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%209_zpsobogk6nd.png

In practice, at turbo mode the light will delay the initial stepdown, and, more importantly, the light will remain at the brightness of high mode until the batteries are almost empty (whereas without ventilation the brightness of high level after the stepdown doesn't last for long).
At high mode, the light does not stepdown and continues until the batteries are almost empty.

Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%204_zps0o7payth.png

Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%205_zpslhvu4ezx.png

At mid mode
Nitecore_TM28_Output_Runtime_%2010_zpszurcgs0y.png

Beamshots, 100 meters at the threes.

Level 1 pointed to the right
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%204_zps14e1m4pm.jpg

Level 1 pointed forward
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%205_zpscsg9f6jd.jpg

Level 2 pointed to the right
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%206_zps5f8es1ml.jpg

Level 2 pointed forward
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%207_zpsd9welasf.jpg

Level 3 pointed to the right
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%208_zpsmjmnxqvg.jpg

Level 3 pointed forward
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%209_zpswqvzwwd7.jpg

Level 4 pointed forward
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%2010_zpse17ozlmh.jpg

Level 5 pointed forward
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%2011_zpsc7lupf6z.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%201_zpsuuyogx7l.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%202_zpsi3lcb7mv.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Set1%203_zpsd14ap3ou.jpg

As you can see, the light offers a balance of flood and throw. The spill is wide enough to hit my shoes (means that I have fully lightened my walking plan) and even with 320 or 1000 lumens you have more than decent visibility at the distance.

In these shots, I'm on top of a wall. The other side of the wall is 167 meters from me. I do not know why in the last pic the temperature balance changed. The light does not go from cool white to warm white at turbo, for sure.
Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Setup2_%201_zpsxwwwxtno.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Setup2_%202_zpsuc95ylax.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Setup2_%203_zpszgirhuwm.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Setup2_%204_zps1lfzkbz4.jpg

Nitecore_TM28_Beamshot_Setup2_%205_zpsbi3mwgcr.jpg

Almost doubling the distance, the TM28 still covers easily the 170meters, with a spot that now is very wide, (so it will not have a great further throw), meanwhile the spill is still very vivid and wide.
As I said, the TM28 has a balanced beam, with decent throw and an intense, wide and usable spill.

My thoughts

• The TM28 is well built and finished.
  • The first thing I thought when I held the TM28 was "this is really smaller than I imagined".
  • The display is functional and brings a lot of information. It is also useful when the light is turned off, letting you know the voltage of the cells without needing to take the light apart or turning it on.
  • I wish it could remain on for longer periods, especially on a specific information, like the temperature.
  • I like the fact that the batteries are connected in parallel (which should allow a safer setup for li-ion cells, and allows in emergency to run the light with fewer batteries), and that the light features over discharge protection.
  • I like that the TM28 does not have a battery carrier. To my knowledge, the TM28 is the only parallel operating, battery carrier-less light that allow you to run flat top cells (using the provided adapter).
  • I find the overall 2A charging current to be on the low side, although many chargers provide 500mA per 18650 cell, almost every quality 18650 cell (traditional li-ion, IMR or hybrid) nowadays can safely be charged at 1A, cutting the charging times in half.
  • The light is very well balanced in the hand, and the two switches are easy to find and hard to press the wrong one.
  • I did not have issues with the double stage switch, a light tap always got me through the first set of levels, and a strong one got me to the second set.
  • The cordura sheath is well made, with a big sturdy metal D-ring and velcro belt over loop. it protects the light and makes easier to carry it.
  • The tripod screw is well placed, not too much on a side of the light, so it balances well on a tripod and is easy to incline at the desired angle.
  • The levels are well spaced, although I would like to have another level between ultralow (two lumens), and low (320 lumens), and another one between High (2300) and Turbo (6000).
  • The 2 sets of levels accessible directly allow you to set the first on a low (or low-ish) setting, and the second will always give you a high one. I would still like to have a direct shortcut for the lowest or low mode.
  • The temperature controlling system acts as advertised and the light is never hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold.
  • If someone asks "what is the use of a display on a light"? The answer is answered above: it is an extra feature that provides a lot of information, contributes to the look of the light and helps justifying the high-end price you pay for this light.
  • I would like to see the light come with NW tint and a car 12V adapter to charge the light in the car.
  • I would be happier if the TM28 had a micro USB charging port for charging the light, without requiring a proprietary adaptor (although the rubber cover goes deeply inside the port and is not pulled off without a certain effort, definitely more than any other micro USB port cover I tried so far).

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your informative and valuable review.

This light is in my area of interest. Made by Nitecore, replete with four amazing XHP35 emitters, non-overlapping reflectors: Interesting to say the least.

I am sure that this light has a nice beam profile, due to non overlapping reflectors, and nice performance, due to the four emitters, and nice build quality, due to made by Nitecore. I my just have to add this item to my collection; I think this is the most interesting item in the NC lineup. :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just my browser? I only see about one third of the illustrations that should be there. I am using Firefox 64bit with Win 10 latest update (not Creator yet).

EDIT: I cleared my cache and reloaded the page, same results. The first picture I see is the one about the battery pack. All of the pictures I see are ones apparently copied from the Nitecore web page.

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened
I believe so, I have no problem seeing the images on 2 pc and a tablet. plus, other people enjoyed the review without problems.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Nice review!

(I have no problem seeing the pictures on my iPad (using Safari running on iOS 10.3.1).)

Not impressed with it stepping down to less than 1000 lumen after only a few minutes on turbo. A lot cheaper alternatives performs better and delivers better quality light (neutral tint and much higher CRI).

Last edited:

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
dont know if you noticed this yet,This is listed under one of the picture
The micro USB port is covered by a rubber cover that stays solidly in position

I wish it was usb

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for showing off the TM28 in another nice review Budda. I agree that pretty much everything in this light comes together to bring a very compelling package. TM28 is definitely NOT just another redundant increment in the Tiny Monster series. I actually thought the charging was going to be slower than 2 amps and was pleased to see the 500Mah per cell. Oh well, tomato tomoto.