Troubleshooting trailer turn signals

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ford Ranger with a factory 4 pin connector. I used to pull a popup camper, so it plugs into a 7 pin connector. I think it's functioning properly.

I've assembled a Harbor Freight utility trailer. The lights sort of work, but there's an issue.

Symptoms: If if just use the turn signals they won't work. If I turn on the parking lights on the truck, then all the lights on the trailer come on and the turn signals function properly.

Ideas?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've assembled a Harbor Freight utility trailer. The lights sort of work, but there's an issue.

Symptoms: If if just use the turn signals they won't work. If I turn on the parking lights on the truck, then all the lights on the trailer come on and the turn signals function properly.
"Hazard Fraught" :)

Does the stop lamp function work normally?

I'd check the grounds-- make sure the trailer's lamp assemblies actually connect to a ground wire-- sometimes to save costs a lamp assembly might be connected to the trailer frame instead of to a ground wire.

Last edited:

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the delay in responding. A giant oak fell in our yard so I haven't been able to get back to the trailer until yesterday (busy chopping wood).

It's all working fine now, so I can only assume I didn't have the plug in well enough or something. I'll put some silicon grease on the pins.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delay in responding. A giant oak fell in our yard so I haven't been able to get back to the trailer until yesterday (busy chopping wood).
At least it didn't smoosh the truck or trailer.

It's all working fine now, so I can only assume I didn't have the plug in well enough or something. I'll put some silicon grease on the pins.
First troubleshooting step is just check all the connections. Unplug/replug the usual connectors and such.