DIY LED reflector, how to design one?

PeterFH

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
For my current project i could use a few LED reflectors, since i can not find one that is to my liking i would like to build one my own.
The idea is to build a stamping form tool with my 3D printer and stamp out a few out of thin Aluminium sheet material.
But i got a hard time to figure out the curvature of the reflector, after i asked google i feel like i am in 5th grade math class again.

Is there any way to make this a bit easier?
I would like to calculate the ideal form of the mirror instead of just roughly guesstimating something, my CAD program is Fusion360.

Thank you in advance!

Greetings,
Peter

PeterH

Newly Enlightened
What kind of throw pattern are you looking for? For good throw you're looking for a parabola. For a wider pattern the shape can be less critical. For most high power LEDs I've seen the intensity follows cos(A), where A is the angle away from straight out.

For validating a pattern I've had good results with POVRay. Yes, a computer graphics program. But there's a bit of a learning curve involved.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
More importantly, have you a process for achieving a flawless mirrored surface? Or a textured pattern, but it should be awesome, otherwise why put forth the effort

PeterFH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys!

What kind of throw pattern are you looking for?

After a bit of fiddling with foil, tape and thin aluminium sheet i came to the conclusion that it is far less critical then i thought.
Pretty much anything shiny at a rough angle on the sides will do what i want.

More importantly, have you a process for achieving a flawless mirrored surface? Or a textured pattern, but it should be awesome, otherwise why put forth the effort

No need for a flawless finish, i want to make it myself because buying something pre-made is booring, i can not learn anything and because building things is fun.

UrbanExplorer

Newly Enlightened
I happen to be doing the exact same thing. I'm going to make mine out of cardboard (cereal box kind) and layer it in a Mylar blanket. Works great. As for the parabolic shape it's a tad complicated so PM if you're still interested.