modifying McClicky to fit a SF Z57

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm working on An E1, and having difficulties getting a McClicky to work properly in the stock tailcap body. Truth be told, I already did it once, but didn't take photos or notes on how I did it previously. The general thinking is to relieve the lower-most threads on the OD so it sits lower in the tailcap, so the metal plates touch the end of the body.

Business end of a McClicky

E%20tailcap%202.jpg

I measured carefully, leaving .110 of threading on the body

E%20tailcap%203.jpg

But it refuses to work. The strange thing is, if I just place the tailcap directly on the body, and ensure the spring touches the battery, it won't work this way either. It is fairly frustrating, because I did this mod before, and it worked perfectly. I don't remember having any real issues modifying it.

E%20tailcap%201.jpg

May I ask your thoughts on this? I've checked the switches I'm using with the multimeter, and they are working as expected. I'd like to get this project finished up.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Skillet. It was Vesture of Blood that did - as far as I can tell - only one run of modified McC's for the E-series. I have one, and it doesn't work on this setup.
As they say, if it was easy, everyone would do it

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, it was M4, not VoB. I didn't know OR sold them as well, I will pick up one of two from them.
The goal of this is to modify a special reverse-clicky version of the McClicky, so I want to experiment on standstill ones prior to modifying a prototype switch.
I did carefully dremel down just to the metal base plate. I'm not seeing why just holding the switch onto the body wont work as an experiment (photo #3)

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, it was M4, not VoB. I didn't know OR sold them as well, I will pick up one of two from them.
The goal of this is to modify a special reverse-clicky version of the McClicky, so I want to experiment on standstill ones prior to modifying a prototype switch.
I did carefully dremel down just to the metal base plate. I'm not seeing why just holding the switch onto the body wont work as an experiment (photo #3)

it should work just holding it. sounds like something internally wrong with the switch....

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I figured it out. Wasn't the tail at all, but a spacing issue at the head. Basically, the triple LED pill wasn't touching the body to provide the proper closed loop. I had originally built this with two AR-coated lenses (those from flashlightlens are so thin!), but in the months since I finished it, I'd forgotten about that small fact. It works perfectly now.

The new owner asked that I put in one of the new reverse-modified McClickys, I think Matt from Strong Lights makes them?
Quick video of this piece in action.
https://youtu.be/0BTfDl2wAoE