Best 9005/9006 for 2005 Cadillac De Ville Base.

jzchen

Enlightened
For some reason I thought 9011 HIR1 and 9012 HIR2 were reasonably the same that they applied to all cases of upgrading from 9005/9006, but searching here that apparently is not always the case. May have made a mistake recommending them to someone, and want to validate/correct my claim if necessary.

Thanks!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason I thought 9011 HIR1 and 9012 HIR2 were reasonably the same that they applied to all cases of upgrading from 9005/9006, but searching here that apparently is not always the case.

The HIR1 is pretty much the universal upgrade to HB3 in the high beam position. For the low beam, the HIR2 can result in a lot of glare despite full cap bulb shield. This is a 2005, though-- are those lenses in good condition? The DeVille headlamps seem to be prone to hazing and yellowing prematurely-- it may be better to get new lamp assemblies, put the HIR1 in the high beams and get the Philips X-Treme Power HB4 (9006).

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you! I try to refer people to this forum, but I don't see them come here and ask. So sometimes I end up asking here instead. I will forward the info there...

jzchen

Enlightened
I was curious as I saw for a '97 Buick Park Avenue the recommended bulb is Philips X-tremeVision while for this case it's Philips X-Treme Power. Would you mind explaining the difference of the two cases? (I have forwarded the X-Treme Power recommendation as long as the housing is clear/not cloudy, to the other forum. I did not need to correct the HIR1 recommendation.)

Thank you again. Hopefully the info helps others. (I'm afraid the poster noted getting some form of PIAA bulb per a moderator's recommendation over there. Not 100% sure I got the message from here correctly, but I got the feeling from you and Virgil that any PIAA bulb/lamp is not really good...)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious as I saw for a '97 Buick Park Avenue the recommended bulb is Philips X-tremeVision while for this case it's Philips X-Treme Power. Would you mind explaining the difference of the two cases? (I have forwarded the X-Treme Power recommendation as long as the housing is clear/not cloudy, to the other forum. I did not need to correct the HIR1 recommendation.)
XV/XP-- the XP would live a little longer, but the XV ekes out just a bit more beam focus and performance. 'Course, a cloudly lens will pretty much undo that beam focus...

(I'm afraid the poster noted getting some form of PIAA bulb per a moderator's recommendation over there. Not 100% sure I got the message from here correctly, but I got the feeling from you and Virgil that any PIAA bulb/lamp is not really good...)
If science always beat marketing there wouldn't be a single flat-earther or anti-vaxxer!