Help me find a cheap flashlight that is robust... EBay??

Murphy625

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm back with another need for advice.

Our family has decided to start prepping for an EMP attack via either the Sun or North Korea.. Probably wasting my time and money but its like an insurance policy.

I use Led flashlights around the house all the time.. I converted a couple of my maglights with the TerraLux adapters and have been happy so far.. We also use these $1.99 Harbor Freight flashlights that have like 9 small leds and run on 3aaa batteries.. They're really handy when the power goes out and have a real long run time using my Eneloop's.

The flashlights I purchase will be placed in my Faraday cage for safe keeping.. While the maglights (140 lumens?) are nice for reaching out longer distances, and the HF lights are nice for using indoors, I'm looking for something that does both and is of a decent quality and able to survive several years of use.

I see flashlights claiming 300 to 5000 lms on ebay all over the place.. but not sure if they're junk or not. I don't want to spend $20 on a flashlight as I need to get four or five of them. I'd like to find something that's a good balance for under $10....

Suggestions?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is probably a different sort of suggestion than you're thinking of, but what about a couple Fenix E01's? They're not bright, but enough to walk around safely, they are very robust, and very efficient, which helps you get as much as you can out of your battery supply. They usually sell for $11-12.

Or you can diversify and have an E01 or two and a couple brighter lights. If you go with the cheap 3xAAA style lights you seem to be thinking of, when they get dim, the E01 will run for hours in moon mode on their "dead" batteries.

Murphy625

Newly Enlightened
The E01 is too small.. I need at least 100 lumen.. I ordered a $2.75 unit off ebay.. probably a piece of junk but its only $2.75 so it won't be life ending.

sbslider

Enlightened
https://youtu.be/Q1UmcY920gg

a vote for the Ti3. If it can sometimes survive being shot out of a shotgun, more than likely it will last awhile. 100+ lumens for 30 minutes I believe. Use it on lower modes for much longer.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
https://youtu.be/Q1UmcY920gg

a vote for the Ti3. If it can sometimes survive being shot out of a shotgun, more than likely it will last awhile. 100+ lumens for 30 minutes I believe. Use it on lower modes for much longer.
I'm really liking this light. I will use the Firefly mode most, then Medium. High is unregulated, with very little runtime, but it's good to know it's there, if needed.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 is too small.. I need at least 100 lumen.. I ordered a $2.75 unit off ebay.. probably a piece of junk but its only $2.75 so it won't be life ending.

I understand. I still think it's a good light to have around. If you want to be prepared for any emergency, a light that keeps running on batteries all your other lights think are dead seems like a really compelling feature, there's a LED abuse thread where E01's have gone through everything from being towed behind a bicycle to tumbled in a dryer to thrown off a multi-story parking garage onto asphalt and survived.

Also, different lights for different purposes. You said you want multiple, but does it really add further benefit to 4 or 5 of the same light? A mix of bright lights and super-efficient lights is what appeals to me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Rayovac Essentials 1AA puts out 19 lumens on paper. But it is tailored to cast those 19 lumens a good 30-50'. $4.99 at my local CVS.

I recently tested one and got 19 hours of useable light from the supplied e-cell. Turned it off and spent the next evening see-ing if the battery would ever quit. Turn it off, let it rest a few minutes and it was back to full brightness for about an hour. Repeat and got about 30 minutes of full brightness... after several repeated resting, back to full output with dimming developing faster as each cycle was repeated I finally took the battery out 5 hours later and stuck it in my battery museum.

I doubt it would withstand being rifle mounted or dropped to concrete from a second story window, but it did withstand being "slinky'd" down 4 brick steps a few times.

Murphy625

Newly Enlightened
I understand. I still think it's a good light to have around. If you want to be prepared for any emergency, a light that keeps running on batteries all your other lights think are dead seems like a really compelling feature, there's a LED abuse thread where E01's have gone through everything from being towed behind a bicycle to tumbled in a dryer to thrown off a multi-story parking garage onto asphalt and survived.

Also, different lights for different purposes. You said you want multiple, but does it really add further benefit to 4 or 5 of the same light? A mix of bright lights and super-efficient lights is what appeals to me.
That's actually a pretty good idea.. perhaps I'll look into getting one of those now.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
convoy s2+
inexpensive and good quality.much of the ebay stuff in this price range is cheap and junky.
i have heard of flash sales on banggood and fastech for $3.99
but they can most often be found around $10
if you dont mind 18650 it can be everything you want in one light.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another point of view: why do you need multiple cheap lights in the corners if you may EDC a good quality one and have it on you everywhere? :) Something like: Lumintop IYP365 Nichia -- shirt pocket, Eagtac D25C Ti Nichia -- coat pocket, Elzetta B343 -- coat pocket, Lumintop TD16 XPL -- EDC bag :D

Last edited:

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast