RUGGED, TOUGH, DURABLE AA LIGHT

Karl1981

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Over the weekend my old Maglite finally died. Honestly, I'm glad about it as I hated that black spot in the middle of the light beam. I would need your help choosing a new light please!

Must have's:
- 2 AAs – That's a small enough size with decent output, can get AA's everywhere but AAA's are limited.
- Reliable, tough, durable – I try to be gentle with my stuff but every now and then it gets bumped and bashed and dropped. I hate stuff dying after two weeks (worst of all right when you need it!), it must last!
- Something that doesn't drain batteries while it's in the car or the bag. The old Maglite ran through batteries even when it was turned off! I tried removing the batteries when it wasn't in use but that was a real pain!
-Something with a consistent output until the batteries are completely dead. A light that reduces its output halfway through the battery cycle is useless to me.
- Will be used for hiking, camping and hunting (no biking etc).

After a lot of reading I favour the Armytek Prime Pro XM-L2 because
- it's in my price range (around AUD 100 or USD 70)
- runs on 2AAs
- IPX8 rating, advertised with a 10m drop proof rating
- advertised with 'ultra low current drain in OFF-state – more than 25 years'
- 500 lm max (for those emergency situations) and to me more important (I don't understand the hype about 100 different settings between blinding, stunning and deadly – I rather have more settings on the lower output side) 10lm, 1.7 lm and 0.15 lm for reading maps at night without killing night vision and a few emergency fixes.

The reviews I read about it sound good, do you guys think that light is a good choice? Anything I should be aware of? Any other (better?) choices?

Looking forward to hearing your input guys!
Thanks heaps!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
A non-trivial number of users here have had quality control issues with Armyteks, but I think the majority of us who own an Armytek have had good luck with them. They definitely seem to be solidly built.

I have a Thrunite Archer (mine is 1xAA, but a 2xAA is available) I like that is holding up well. I think it's high quality for the price, but I don't know know that it's in the same ruggedness category as the Armytek.

Nitecore, Eagletac, and Olight also offer 2 x AA lights that should have good low modes, but I'm don't personally have experience with those brands.

Also, I highly recommend NiMH rechargeables, which will give more consistent performance on high mode than alkalines.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I highly recommend NiMH rechargeables, which will give more consistent performance on high mode than alkalines.
I second that motion. Never use alkalines in a light you don't want to lose, because they will leak sooner or later. NiMH is best for all around use, and there are some good cells and chargers out there for a very reasonable price. In a long-term storage and/or low temperature situation, I would use lithium primary cells. They have a better power density than either of the others, and can handle freezing and lower temps better. Their only drawback is the price per cell (as well as the non-rechargeable aspect).

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also check into warranty returns - if you do have an issue, you may need to ship the flashlight overseas, which can take weeks to process and return.

Maglite has some interesting LED models out now, if you like the Maglite form factor.

The Rayovac Indestructible in 2xAA is nice, for $15 at Home Depot. Two modes, fairly robust - I've never had one break on me.

The Olight S2A and the Fenix E20 (2015) are also nice 2xAA models.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
My favorite 2 AA light is the Eagletac D25A2. Check it out, and it's durable. If I remember it's about 440 lumens, not quite the 500 you mentioned.

- LetThereBeLight!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have an AT A2 Pro. Past my dunk test in a flowing brook (looking for photos now) and so far is working just fine.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I can only give recommendation based on what I own, but the Thrunite Archer 2A is what I use in the 2AA format and I think its a good light that would meet your needs.

15dps

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Thrunite Archer 2A. I carried the V2 model for about 2 years and loved it. It's now on my night stand since I graduated to the TN12 for EDC. I also have the Archer 1A V2 and the 1A V3. I don't have a 2A V3 but I'm sure I would like it as much as the others. And with your budget you could get 2 of them, or get the light and some NiMH batteries with a charger. I'd recommend the Eneloop brand as I've had great luck with them for years.