HIRs vs Halogen temperatures

krabkakes95

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have actual specifications on the operating temperature of HIRs vs Halogen bulbs?

I saw a website online that claimed HIRs emit less heat than the halogen equivalent. I find that odd considering the design of an HIR is to increase the filament temperature by reflecting light/heat back at the filament...

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
HIR bulbs don't necessarily use the halogen infrared reflective coating.

The envelope of an HIR bulb of either type should be cooler than that of a standard halogen bulb of the same wattage, as they have a higher luminous efficacy than the standard halogen bulb. More energy being converted into light means less energy being converted into heat.

I find that odd considering the design of an HIR is to increase the filament temperature by reflecting light/heat back at the filament...
Yes, the infrared reflective ones reflect the heat back toward the filament, meaning less heat is escaping the envelope. The non-reflective ones just have optimized filaments, but for a given input wattage you'll get X amount of light and Y amount of heat.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I saw a website online

That's pretty common on the internet. What's unusual is seeing a website offline. :)

that claimed HIRs emit less heat than the halogen equivalent.

That's wrong (another common thing on the internet). Watts in = watts out. HIR1 (9011) and HIR2 (9012) bulbs of any legitimate design, with or without an IR-reflective coating, have higher efficacy (lumens per watt) than their direct regular equivalents HB3 (9005) and HB4 (9006), but the vast majority of the output of any glowing-filament bulb is still heat, and a difference in operating temperature (if any) is going to be so tiny as to be very difficult to measure.

Latest posts