Brightest 1x14500, compact, for duty, edc, inspections

Thors Hammer

Newly Enlightened
Want the very brightest in lumens flashlight for work use.

It must be:

>small and compact, for my comfort, because it will carried on my belt all shift
>the brightest. Will be used for momentary inspections of empty trailers and containers
>I already have a supply of 14500 cells and charger
>to replace current edc, Xeno E03, ~350 lumens. This is nearly perfect for me, just want more lumens

Does what I'm asking for exist? All suggestions welcome.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Manker E11 and Klarus Mi7. Both are extremely hard driven, although based on output tests others have done, probably overstate their performance a bit, and both have to step down to about half brightness (still probably about as bright as your Xeno is rated at) after a minute or two in order to avoid overheating. The difference won't be radical compared to your current light, but I expect you'll notice some difference in output.

I'm not sure you can do much better without stepping up to an 18650 light.

I think the Manker has a wider beam that might be better for enclosed spaces like you're referring to.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
One issue you will face is runtime. 14500's have very little capacity, driving a light harder for more lumens will mean a much lower runtime.

I have the Mi7, it's a very nicely made torch with a great beam and good output IMO. But is easily activated by accident, as the side switch sticks out and requires little effort to push.

Being an electronic switch it also has parastatic drain. I know this isn't much, but on a light with very limited runtimes it all adds up.

Also to get the best performance out of these lights you'll need to use high performance batteries, I don't know what you are using now, but you'll need IMR's. I tend to use Efest, but there are others.

If you want more output, then one of the highest output 14500's lights I know of, is probably the Kronos X5 (might be sold under the Astrolux name these days). It's a tad larger with a bigger head, but throws super well for such a light (don't know if you need distance or not). And output is about as high as you can get from a 14500. But runtimes are even shorter as a result.

I'd be tempted to try and have a look at some compact 18650's, they will be bigger, but the runtimes are so much better. 4 times better or more!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blf x5 or astrolux k01. They are the brightest.. well as bright as your batteries can handle. So basicly it's the quality of your batteries that determine how bright they will be.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Chicken Drumstick. I have the Nitecore EA11, which is a very nice light, and would fulfill all your needs. Nine hundred lumens Turbo for a quick shot down the trailer, 300 & 160 lumens for general work, and 70 lumens for close-in, with a 1 lumen 'moonlight'. Only problem is that due to the low capacity of 14500 cells, run time for the high modes is very short. The rated run time on Turbo is 30 minutes, but that is taking into account the fact that the light steps down after a couple of minutes at that high level. Intermittent use at 900 lumens will surely be quite a bit less than that. I'm not saying don't use a 14500 cell, just be prepared to carry one or more additional charged cells to be able to cover a full shift. And a second low cost, small output light would be a good idea for while you are changing cells as well.

For about the same price as the EA11 and I am sure some of the other lights, look at the Nitecore P30. It is a single 18650/two CR123 light, with similar outputs to the EA11, but much better run time. It throws quite nicely due to a larger reflector than is normally found on a single 18650 cell light, but is still small enough to fit comfortably in a belt holster. I have both lights, and if I was doing your job I would probably be carrying both on my belt. I would plan on using the P30 as my primary light, and have the EA11 along as backup. Remember the mantra "Two is One, and One is None". Oh, and since I am a belt and suspenders type of guy, I would probably have my Lumintop Tool in my pocket as well. Banggood is selling the black Tool with a Nichia emitter for $11 USD right now.

markr6

Flashaholic
For this kind of work (I'm assuming random on/off cycles), the Manker E11 would drive me crazy. No way.

1. Pressing and holding and waiting for it to turn off is a deal breaker. It seems like there would be many situations where a momentary-on is ideal - forward-click switch.
2. It always comes on in low, you again, you'll have to press and hold to turn it on.

All fine if you were turning it on once to go on a 45 minute hike and only turning it off when done. Horrible for inspection type work.

I really can't think of anything I would recommend in the 14500 format. 18650 all the way for me; lots of great options too.

archimedes

Flashaholic
What is your budget ?

If you are not absolutely tied to the 14500, for example, the BOSS is only 4 mm wider than that E03.

The BOSS 35 would be about 12 mm shorter and run on 18350, while the BOSS 70 would be only 21 mm longer and run on 18650 (or 2x 18350)

Fully programmable, and up to 3,500 lumen output (on two cells, or half that on one cell)

Pricey, though ....

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other end of the spectrum cold be the Jetbeam Jet-1 MK!
700 Lumens claimed from a 14500 and under $15 so you can carry 2,just in case or just think of it as a spare battery case.
Really!
I am in love with mine and I never worry about hurting it as it was so cheap?
Not the best tint but not terrible either and the low is decent too.
There is also a 1/4" threaded hole in the tail that I have found insanely handy a lot of the time!

The Manker T01 would be great for the inspections for sure but as already mentioned can be a little tough to relate to in real use.

I also have to suggest a ZL SC52 as it is just a great all around AA light that runs on anything and is rock solid too.

And also Dan is that you or is there another Hammer?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The jetbeam is grwat as a aa light. Hate the slow pwm with a 14500. So wont use a 14500 in mine.