LED filaments rapidly taking over what do you think? Philips filament soft whites!

angerdan

Enlightened
Nothing new, started two years ago.
Even in Philips home market europe they did sell them in supermarkets for 2€/piece.

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
I was talking about the USA. I knew about Europe. LED filament bulbs are the latest makeover of Edison's bulb.

frank70

Newly Enlightened
What's amazing about these bulbs is that manufacturers have been wrestling for 10 years with the electronics... size... heat... failing capacitors, etc. Suddenly here are LED bulbs with what appears to be no electronics at all. I just bought one of these by Greenlite with a clear glass envelope and there's nothing in there but wire and the LED filaments. These have to be much cheaper to manufacture. As far as reliability is concerned, one has to wonder how hot the LEDs themselves get given that they have little to no heatsink.

KXA

Newly Enlightened
Now if only they were rated for enclosed fixture use.

frank70

Newly Enlightened

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
What's amazing about these bulbs is that manufacturers have been wrestling for 10 years with the electronics... size... heat... failing capacitors, etc. Suddenly here are LED bulbs with what appears to be no electronics at all. I just bought one of these by Greenlite with a clear glass envelope and there's nothing in there but wire and the LED filaments. These have to be much cheaper to manufacture. As far as reliability is concerned, one has to wonder how hot the LEDs themselves get given that they have little to no heatsink.

LED filament bulbs use a gas filling to cool the filaments by conducting the heat to the glass. Usually it's a mixture of helium and nitrogen. The manufacture of LED filament bulbs is the same as traditional bulbs except for the filaments themselves.

Last edited:

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their advantage of really good omni-directionality is good for the G25 form factor.
Wish they came in more than just 2700K & 5000K. (if you use one-for-one, you get an acceptable 3850K)