• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight S2 versus S2 Copper

moon unit

Newly Enlightened
I'm only thinking about the weight. Patina (which is green, not black) would thrill me and any scratches in the copper wouldn't worry me at all. The extra price and any non-inclusion of battery or CR132s are irrelevant. Actually, I like a bit of weight, it gives me the feeling that I have something in my hand. I'd carry it often in my pants pocket and just hope that it isn't too heavy or bounceable there. Got any feelings and/or experience with either-- or even better -- with both?
TIA
Mike

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm only thinking about the weight. Patina (which is green, not black) would thrill me and any scratches in the copper wouldn't worry me at all. The extra price and any non-inclusion of battery or CR132s are irrelevant. Actually, I like a bit of weight, it gives me the feeling that I have something in my hand. I'd carry it often in my pants pocket and just hope that it isn't too heavy or bounceable there. Got any feelings and/or experience with either-- or even better -- with both?
TIA
Mike
I have my S2 Baton on me now, as we speak. It does everything it is supposed to do. I don't have the copper version. You should get it, if you want it. How much heavier can it be?

moon unit

Newly Enlightened
I read that the copper version weighs 173 g in contrast to the aluminium (black) one which is "only" exactly 100 g. Both weights are with the battery in them.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
I am carrying my S2 copper as we speak it is part of my weekly rotation of lights I have had no issue with bounce or weight and has quickly become one of my favorite lights I'm considering getting the S1 and the mini baton in copper as well.

I did also recently order the R50 in copper to so if that should tell you how much of an impression my S2 made on me. I did remove the magnet from the tail cap, there's a lot of metal dust around. And added a orange trit (1.5x6mm) to the lanyard hole in the cap.

Last edited:

Bucur

Enlightened
I have the S2 Baton Copper but not the aluminum one. Most of the time, it is on my desk. Sometimes, I carry it in my briefcase. It feels relatively heavy for a compact 1 x 18650 flashlight but I wish I could quantify how heavy is too heavy.

I only carry 1 x AAA flashlights in my pocket. But in return, I have only about 1W/h of energy in my pocket whereas those who opt for 1 x 18650 have more than 12 W/h. Once the 1 x 18650 format is preferred in principle, for pocket carry, I would not think the extra weight of copper would necessarily be a game changer. However, despite the fact that the specific weights of aluminum and copper are always the same, the weight difference of 1 x 18650 flashlights made of these materials is significantly more noticeable than that of 1 x AAA flashlights made of the same materials.

I wish I could answer your question clearly but since this is actually a matter of personal preference, I cannot be more specific. :(

DMS1970

Enlightened
The s2 copper is the only one that calls to me. The S1, you're carrying for compact and lightweight. The R50 seeker, WAY to heavy in copper. The S2? Just right in my book. If your grabbing a light that size, its for the run time and the boost in output, the difference in weight would not be a factor.

Also, since it's longer with more surface area, the patina shows up better and looks classier.

the S2 doesn't seem to get a ton of love. The TIR is great, the UI is great. They used to hover around $39-$42 on eBay when I got mine (aluminum), which to put in perspective would get you 2 for the price of a Zebra.

Last edited:

moon unit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so far, guys. Looks like there is in fact already a ton of love for that beast out there (although those not wanting to get into copper probably just ignored the question). If I could only get both, hold them in my hand or in my pocket for 1 min and then decide....

Bucur

Enlightened
What about holding other two items weighting 100 and 173 grams and holding them in your hand or pocket for 1 min? Frankly, IF a 100 gram 1 x 18650 flashlight is OK in your pocket, 173 gr would probably not feel prohibitively heavy. In your hand, you may even prefer 173 grams to 100 grams.

moon unit

Newly Enlightened
What about holding other two items weighting 100 and 173 grams and holding them in your hand or pocket for 1 min? Frankly, IF a 100 gram 1 x 18650 flashlight is OK in your pocket, 173 gr would probably not feel prohibitively heavy. In your hand, you may even prefer 173 grams to 100 grams.
Crass! Bucur, I actually did that and have exactly the same feeling. A difference of 73 g is practically zero, whatever the object. Thanks for your support
Mike