Full Featured 10180 Light Prototype Complete (Could see production numbers)

Some of you that I'm talking to on a semi regularly bases knows, that I've been working on some very interesting designs in the past few months. This one is a relatively simple design (compared to the other one I'm working on:), I've been thinking to build for a while. Just as the Nucleus, it wasn't build to be produced in multiple numbers, only to be a prototype for a light I would make out of Mokume Gane material. The reason for building this size, is that there aren't many full featured custom 10180 size lights currently exists. What I mean by "full feature" is, that it has a full size reflector (Not TIR) and the LED is operated by a fully programmable 10mm FET driver (GuppyDrv) I find this more beneficial, than the options most of 10180 size lights offer (2 level twist) Once the light was completed, and I was able to hold it, I realized, handling this size, is very nice and usable on the EDC level. It can be operated one handed.The prototype is brass, but there will be (2) Mokume Gane version built in the near future, which will be up for sale, and other versions will follow, if or when this light makes it to be a production version. The production version might going to have additional design details, but this one I've made on manual machines, where my options are limited. Those members, that like exotic versions, will probably be happy to hear, that with the production version Mokuti or Timascus versions will come as well. The tailpiece of the prototype has a heat anodized Ti insert. This area is reserved for attachment, like a split ring holder or magnet, so it can be stick on metal surfaces. This light uses 6pcs. of 1mm x 3mm tritium vials (this being one of the smallest tritium vial, only available in green) Using the multi-mode driver, battery time is quite useful, with lowest settings lasting for about 7-8 hours. Maximum brightness is around 200 Lumens (depending on the emitter being used). For the ones needing a bit more battery life, there might be a AAA battery tube available as an accessory...although I should probably mention, that I'm working on a similar design AAA size light (slightly larger in diameter) that will have a clicky type tail switch. Let me know, what you think!

If you don't get excited about small lights, you might be happy to hear, that I will introduce an other custom flashlight, that is my most ambitious undertaking so far. What I can tell you about it right now, that it is a custom angle light. It features a design, that allows not only replaceable battery tubes, but heads as well. Depending on your purpose, you'd be able to use tripple, single, thrower or mule heads....and most likely, there would be a UV head made as well. The prototype is about 98% complete, so it will be introduced in a few weeks.

Specs for the 10180 light:

Size : 1.8" x 0.5" (45.5mm x 12.5mm)
Weight : 23 gramms (brass with battery)
Optics : 10 mm reflector with 10mm BK270 double AR coating (It might be Sapphire glass window on the production model)
Lumens : Programmable GuppyDrv 24 Mode Groups 0,5-200 Lumens
Water Resistance: Submersible up to 5 meters (Will have o-ring seals, that are not made on the prototype)

For high resolution images, go to my Flickr album HERE

33414328483_778a6139f4_b.jpg

33383276024_c8cdaf7eeb_b.jpg

33383273704_0e49d29c9d_b.jpg

33383282514_95a8fb5874_b.jpg

33383273144_e923cc7bbf_b.jpg

What you see here from left to right is: JetBeam TCE-1, Lumintop Tool Ti, Maratac AAA, Prototype, DQG Hobi, Nucleus (Mokuti Version)

33414324703_b1b532eee2_b.jpg

Comparison between 18650 Nitecore battery, Prototype, Efest 10450 battery

33383274714_364be904f0_b.jpg

Few CAD renderings of what the Titanium version would look like, and the exploded view. The driver you see on the exploded view, is not the one is used for this light:

34225257935_709e4b5975_b.jpg

33414326983_effe6dfc5a_b.jpg

33414327773_d1f72a9e2c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Please make an Aluminum version! Not all of us have this much money to spend [emoji6]

I didn't even talk about pricing yet....how do you know,you don't have this much to spend?;-) It usually isn't the cost of material in a custom light, that makes the biggest difference in price (unless we are talking about Timascus, Mokume Gane and other exotic materials) Machining time is one of the important factor, complexity of the build, and assembly time. Also, if I spend a few months perfecting the specific design, and only producing 100-200 pcs. I'd like to make sure, designing time is also built into the price. I can't tell you the exact pricing, but it will be in par with other similar sized flashlights.

Haha! Way to go George! The brass light looks great. I'll take both the brass and mokume gane lights (I hadn't seen someone say that....just in case). I would like to offer to be one of your official prototype product tester. Can't wait to see them and hope one will be available for me!!

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Wow. Another awesome little light, George. And of course I luv the mokume and Timascus options. :twothumbs