Dozens of torches, not a good tint to be seen.

koopa

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of torches, and most of them now have outdated LEDs with 6000k, low CRI and bad tints. I have taken to inserting cheap photographic coloured plastic but the results are a bit dim and unsatisfying.

Is there anyone who is interested in 'upgrading' these torches? Or even recommending LEDs or where to source them?

In general I'd aim for 3000k (2200k to 3200k, I know thats quite warm), Nichia or Yuji high CRI leds, magenta leaning or neutral rather than green tints.

I'd have to have a look, but torches for LED replacement would be things like:

Nitecore TM26 v1 (x1)
Petzl Nao Headlamp v1 (x1)
Petzl Zipka Headlamp (x2)
4sevens's 17650 torches (x2)
Ultratac K18 2017 (x4)

As a cheap solution to fix colour temperature / tint, perhaps there are some photographic gels I could install that someone could recommend? This hurts efficiency and CRI however.

Any advice appreciated!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Volume and hand picked bins are mutually exclusive. To get better bins, go with smaller suppliers.

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
Gel (colored plastic light filters) can't correct for bad CRI. They filter out unwanted wavelengths of light, but do not add wavelengths that are missing. No light will come through a red gel in front of a blue LED, because no red light is being emitted.