Driveway and outdoor lighting fixtures and bulb advice

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

This is Calle. I am new here, and have posted an introduction, I hope it shows up soon.

I live in a rural area in East Texas, and have installed some metal poles, about 8 ft high on my drive way and back yard on my rural property, and am connecting it to AC power.

I want to put some nice light fixtures, especially on the poles along the driveway, as that will be an area with visitor traffic, and I want nice lights.

However, I also want the lights to have dusk/dawn sensors, and have BRIGHT bulbs as where I live is very dark and rural. I prefer to have a light color which does not attract rodents, wasps, etc.

These will be installed on poles, light the street lamps we see.

I am also looking for some lights with motion detectors for my back yard, I read about Steinel lights, are these any good?

http://shopl.steinel.net/p/fl-300w-outdoor-sensor-with-dual-lampholders?pp=24

I will also need lights in my barn, which type of bulbs should I get? I mean, I guess LED, but any thoughts on brand/lumens etc.

If I can answer any questions let me know.

you all are so kind,

Calle

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi Calle and welcome to CPF !

Thank you also for providing extensive details in this first post, regarding your request above, and locating the thread in the proper subforum .... Cheers :)

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Moderator

I hope I get some replies to this post and get some advice on how to set this up :grin2:

Hi Calle and welcome to CPF !

Thank you also for providing extensive details in this first post, regarding your request above, and locating the thread in the proper subforum .... Cheers :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you Moderator

I hope I get some replies to this post and get some advice on how to set this up :grin2:

Just FYI, the Fixed Lighting subforum here does not get nearly as much traffic as many of the other subfora ....

I hope you get some replies soon, too, but try to be patient ;)

KXA

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you have quite a lighting project. However, we'll need more information.

· What is the diameter of your poles? (2", 3" etc.)
· Do you have a preference on color temperature? (warm 2700K, cool 5000K, or somewhere in between)
· What is your budget? (do you want residential quality or light commercial?)
· Do you want the fixtures to be dark sky compliant? (no stray light)

As to dusk-to dawn, you can wire up a photocell before all your post lights and have them go on all at once. This gives a uniform and well-designed appearance to your project.

Exterior lighting in a rural setting should ideally be bright, but not too bright (this can screw up your night vision). Also, night vision is best with warm colored light – less optical work load.

As to your barn, I'd just get some LED strip fixtures that you can find at Agent Orange (Home Depot).

I have not had any experience with Steinel. Coming from the lighting business side, I've mostly bought product from Cooper Lighting, Acuity Brands, RAB Lighting, Philips, Sylvania and GE.

Good luck on your project.