Review: Nitecore MT06MD Penlight ... 180 lm w/ 4 lm LOW + High CRI

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, Nitecore sent me their new and updated penlight the MT06MD!This light features a brand new 4 lumen LOW mode and a new High CRI LED, Nichia 219B.

I'm a father of 3 and the family medic, so I've been looking for a good penlight to add to my kit and this fits the bill! Many penlights don't really have low mode but if they do, most are 1 lumen. The new 4 lumen mode works great of checking the kids eyes and can get a iris response in normal interior lighting. The addition of the CRI definitely helps and I can feel that my eyes are less strained.

Sound up your alley? Then say hello to the new MT06MD!

QUICK SPECS

Here is the specs from Nitecore's website.

OUTPUT & RUNTIME

Very bright for about 45 min. Overall, it took 4 hours to completely drain the batteries starting on the high mode.

Max Output
180 lumens
Max Beam Distance
58 m
Max Beam Intensity
860 cd
Max Run time
35 h 0 m / 1.46 d
LED
Nichia 219B LED
Reflector
SMO
Battery
2 × AAA
Beam color
High CRI (~5000K per packaging)
Length
128 mm / 5.04 in
Head Size
14 mm / 0.55 in
Weight
22 g / 0.78 oz

LED SPECS

One of the home runs on this light is the Nichia 219B LED with CRI>= 90 and is photo-biologically safe rated at RG0 (risk-free group). As many know already, CRI is a color render index which rates how well colors look under the subject light, where high CRI means better color rendering, and having good colors helps medical professionals a lot.

nichia2021920led20series20emitter.jpg

It's sort of assumed for most flashlight LEDs, but the other part I didn't realize, that the Nichia 219B LED is rated perfectly safe to be shined in someones eyes, and that there is no hidden radiation being emitted, which many doctors and their lawyers will like to hear. Here is an info sheet from Underwriters Laboratories on the subject: ul-lighting-sheet-fotobiologico-v2 (link is external)

OTHER FEATURES

• Starts in low mode
  • Constant current (ie no PWM)
  • Can be sterilized after use
  • Uses 2xAA batteries
  • IPX8 water proof (2 meter submersible)
  • Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
  • Areospace grade aluminum
  • HAIII hard anodising

VIDEO OVERVIEW

LOOK & FEEL

The light appears identical to its predecessor MT06 with a black smooth body witha stainless steel clip and clicky switch. There is a very slight machined texture which at first feels like a cost cutting measure but it may have be done on purpose to try to add a bit of grip without cutting knurling which may have made it more difficult to clean.

BEAM PROFILE

The beam angle is not advertised but using a printed protractor I measured the main spot to have a total angle of about 25° and a total spill angle of about 80°.

mt06md-gif-near-01.gif

mt06md-gif-far-01.gif

nitecore-mt06md-penlight-revew-civilgear-123.jpg

Nitecore R40 w/CREE XP-L HI (left), Nitecore MT06MD w/Nichia 219B (right)

USER INTERFACE

The light uses a single button interface and has only three output levels; so I'd say this is one of the simpler UIs out there. You do a full press to click the light on, then you can either do quick half presses or full double clicks to cycle to the levels. Alternatively, you can also quickly loosen and tighten the head and it will cycle as well. You can lock out the light by loosening the head. Easy-peasy. I did notice that when holding the half press for a certain amount of time between high and low, when the light switches to low, there is a very quick bright flash before dimming to low; I've found that you can avoid this easily by more quickly half pressing to cycle the light.

BATTERY

The light takes 2xAAA which makes for a very slim and light form-factor. I've typically been against the use of AAA lights but since this has such a small form factor, it is very much worth it.

WARRANTY

Nitecore provides a 5-year warranty! Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer or you will waive your rights to the warranty. Also, take care to store your light properly, as the warranty does not cover damages caused by batter leakage. Check out their full terms of service.

PROS

• Great color rendering! Really helps in observing patients or checking electrical wiring.
  • Optimal 4 lumen low mode PERFECT (imo) for checking pupil dilation; many pen lights don't even have such a low level, and if they do, they tend to be only 1 lumen.
  • Very slim and light weight, fits great in pockets, and can be held between the lips if needed
  • Very professional look with stainless steel accents
  • Starts in low mode
  • Wonderfully smooth transisition between beam spot and spill
  • Has physical lock out for preserving battery
  • AAA batteries are very easy to replace and, for professionals, I'm sure most employers will provide these
  • IPX8 water proof and can be washed in the sink or sanitized
  • Hard anodizing will help prevent scratches and keep the light looking very professional
  • I like that you can half press the switch to cycle the modes and reduce clicky sounds when observing patients
  • Has constant current (no PWM) and great runtime; if left in the high mode it takes 4 hours to be fully drained!

OBSERVATIONS

• Pocket clip not as resilient, but you can fix it if it bends too far; wish the clip was titanium plated even if it didn't look as professional
  • Clicky switch cover feels a little wobbly so I packed it with some tissue for a little more stability
  • Very, very, slight machined texture on the body
  • Would have like a little traditional knurling near the switch end for increased grip
  • The light gets a little warm, but not really hot, if left on for extended amount of time, which is unlikely for a penlight

IN-USE

Even with all the promotion for use in the medical field, I still don't think you wanted to see in my throat, or any other body part or that matter, so I figured I'd stick with some outdoor beam shots. ;-)

nitecore-mt06md-penlight-revew-civilgear-165.jpg

Pull box markings (high mode)

nitecore-mt06md-penlight-revew-civilgear-140.jpg

Steel plate covers on asphalt (high mode)

nitecore-mt06md-penlight-revew-civilgear-162.jpg

Tree tops (high mode)

nitecore-mt06md-penlight-revew-civilgear-171.jpg

Glove box (low mode)

nitecore-mt06md-penlight-revew-civilgear-125.jpg

Checking the CRI on our toddler art (mid mode)

PRICE

Currently the penlight is around $30 USD on amazon.

THANKS FOR READING!

DISCLAIMERS:

• CivilGear received this product for testing and honest review.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for posting that. I bought one of these for my oldest son, who is in training right now to be a paramedic. It was $27.16 shipped to the door from the Nitecore Store. http://www.NitecoreStore.com Their code was CPF15OFF to get 15 % off. I also bought a four pack of Eneloops from Wal Mart for him.

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's great! I think you made a good call on this one :). Good luck to your son and thanks for sharing the code!!!

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I just got this last week. I like the tint, build, and brightness. The three modes are really close together if you are in a dark room. Much prefer the mode spacing on the Ti4

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
What other AAA light can you compare to the low-mod brightness of this light? I'm fearful this low is still too bright for my needs.

Hey there! Sorry, I'm still a budding reviewer and don't have any other penlights to compare to :-/ but I could get you a pick of a 1 lumen vs 4 lumen pic if that would help :) . Thanks for reading!

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
I just got this last week. I like the tint, build, and brightness. The three modes are really close together if you are in a dark room. Much prefer the mode spacing on the Ti4

Yeah looks like the Ti4 has higher lumen output so I bet the Ti4 does feel more spaced out. I did observe that 4 lumen is pretty bright in a dark room and that the firefly mode on the Ti4 would probably feel way darker. Thanks for your comment! :-D

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happened to have a random thought on this topic the other day. The Lumintop IYP365 is very similar to the MT06MD in size and function when using the Nichia emitter. Its modes are 1.5, 25, and 120 lumens, so it does come closer to the moonlight level you seem to be looking for.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it is quite possible that the fact that the low is half the output of the MT06MD might override that fact for a user. Just presenting alternatives.

True, but it's why I don't use my IYP365 and will be selling it to my brother, who likes it.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an MT06MD today and definitely much prefer the LMH mode sequence on it MUCH better than the MLH sequence on the IYP36. Yes, this is a personal preference.

I might prefer a lower low than 4 lumens for using in the house with dark adapted eyes, but we'll see how it is in actual use. I also received a T360 today, so it could be my low lumen go to light when carrying them both. I currently have two other lights on me with lower lows, so that's not really much of a concern.

Comparing the MT06MD vs the MT06:
1) The lights are physically identical and the only way you can tell them apart visually (without turning them on) is to look at the labeling or to look at the LEDs. The MT06 LED is about 1/4 the size of the MT06MD, which is why it throws so much farther with such a shallow and small diameter reflector when compared to other AAA lights.
2) The MT06 has a smaller, more well defined hot spot and throws further.
3) The MT06 has a cooler, but quite acceptable tint.
4) The MT06 L and MT06MD M levels appear to be pretty similar in output, at least at close range in a small bathroom. It's daytime here and I don't have a larger dark area to compare them in.
5) The clip tension and button feel and feedback appear to be identical.

I'm very pleased to finally have the MT06MD in hand, but I don't think it will replace the MT06 in my shirt pocket. I may have to carry both, since the MT06 has such good throw in such a nice form factor, but the challenge then would be grabbing the right one out of my pocket in the dark. I might have to mount a tritium vial to one of them in some way, since glow rings don't glow very long after the lights go out.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you really have a need for three modes, or need the higher CRI, if you already have an MT06, I can't see spending the money for an MT06MD. If I didn't already have several penlight or smaller size lights that are high CRI, I would probably buy one, but since I do, the cost is about the same as two meals at my favorite Chinese restaurant, so...

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just compared my MT06MD vs my IYP365 and the MT06MD has an obviously cooler tint than the IYP365. I certainly prefer the LMH mode sequence of the MT06MD.

So, My MT06MD is cooler than my IYP365, but warmer than my MT06.

Tomchrome

Newly Enlightened
Just compared my MT06MD vs my IYP365 and the MT06MD has an obviously cooler tint than the IYP365. I certainly prefer the LMH mode sequence of the MT06MD. So, My MT06MD is cooler than my IYP365, but warmer than my MT06.
Hi, but can you tell if Nitecore is significantly brighter than Lumintop? I have IYP 365 high CRI (thinking of getting Mt06MD), and Lumintop is very good colour rendering light. It sets strong 3D area effect also. Warmer Nichia BT of Lumintop should have better tint than Nitecore's one, but it can be rather dimmer ...