• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

BOSS for duty use

k3751

Newly Enlightened
Over the past week or so, I've had a couple of people PM me about using the BOSS as a law enforcement duty light. I figured I'd throw my impressions out there and maybe help someone else make a decision.

I currently have a plain clothes assignment at a 100+ officer department in the Midwest. On occasion, I'll throw on the uniform to work a traffic project, security detail, or just plain old patrol shift. Definitely when working a uniform assignment, and even day-to-day as an investigator, I subscribe to the philosophy of "2 is 1, 1 is none." (Part of the reason is that it seems like I'm always loaning a light to someone on scene who forgot one!).

I always carried an HDS rotary in my pocket, and would grab a larger light when leaving the station. This is usually some variety of Malkoff with an MD3 or MD4 body. I've since replaced the HDS with my BOSS.

My first BOSS was a patina 35 w/ 219 emitter. In short, I found the 35 body was, while convenient, shorter than it needed to be. Given the runtime and brightness limitations (at least compared to the larger body) I decided to switch it out. I later scored a 70 body with XPL emitters.

I usually carry the BOSS with two 18350s, but have an 18650 charged and ready to go. It is carried in my front pants pocket or a pocket on my vest.

UI:
One of the major downfalls of a light where you cycle through the modes with the switch is accidentally getting to a lower mode than you want/need. For example, it is common when searching buildings to use a "flash-and-move" technique. This constant on/off cycling can result in cycling through modes when that's not intended. As a result, I actually prefer a UI similar to the high/low ring on Malkoff lights. To remedy this, I have my BOSS set up as High-High-Med-Low. The two cell levels are 31-31-24-12. The one cell levels are proportionate to that. I have yet to accidentally activate a lower level that I wanted to. Even the level 24 is more than adequate for the vast majority of searches. I also find that level 24 is pretty good for general use, such as searching through cars for evidence and the like.

Beam:
TBH, I would prefer it if the beam had a bit more throw. I know very little about triple emitter lights, so I don't even know if this is possible. For long distance searches through an open field or a wooded area, the extreme flood of even the narrow clear optic isn't ideal. Because of the lack of throw, I have the light default to the higher levels. I have yet to run into a situation where I need more throw than what my BOSS provides at level 31, but the end result is higher levels, lower runtime, more heat, and more step-down. On the other hand, it is fantastic for closer work. The other night we were searching for shell casings after a shooting. The floody beam from the BOSS at level 24 was great versus the really tight hot-spot of everyone else's Streamlights.

Runtime:
My first light was a incan Z2 (I actually still have it sporting a M61). The advances that have been made in the past 15 years are amazing when considering runtime at a given output. Once negative about the BOSS is the relatively shorter runtimes when using the high modes. Part of the problem is that I can't bring myself to use it in the one cell config and have all that potential untapped. This is foolish, as the practical difference between 1933 lumens at one cell and the 2500ish lumens with two cells is nil. Along with runtime is a problem with heat generation. This thing gets HOT. 99/100 times, this is not an issue, but if you're wanting to use it for 15, 20, or more minutes at a time at a high level, it's going to be uncomfortable and step down to the point where its not nearly as useful. I understand this is a limitation of size and battery configuration, but there it is. One thing that makes me feel a lot better about the run time is the built in capability to measure voltage. Every day, I know where I am and can swap out cells if it's any where near depleted

Reliability:
So far, the thing's been bulletproof. It's been dropped, wet, slammed up against stuff, used as an improvised impact weapon, and hasn't blinked.

Conclusion:
Given the limitations of runtime, heat, and beam pattern, this shouldn't be the only light one carries. However, as stated above, I think somebody is being foolish if they only have one light. If you pick your other light to compliment this one, maybe one with a tighter beam and a larger cell capacity for runtime, this is a great primary duty light. It has usurped my HDS rotary and Malkoff MDC which were my primary plainclothes lights, and will either replace or ride with the Z2/M61 or Surefire Fury that were my primary patrol lights (along with the Wildcat V4 or Hound Dog V3 on my belt). After all, if 2 is 1 and 1 is none, then 3 is 2, right :)?

Probably the biggest recommendation I can give is I'm now trying to justify purchasing the last Oveready V5 dropin to mate with a 2*18650 body. If I can make that happen, it'll ride on my belt and the Hound Dog (or maybe Super Hound Dog) will ride in the car for when needed.

I hope this was useful for someone else.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your thoughts! Even those that aren't in law enforcement can take away a lot from this. You highlighted the difference between a triple vs single led and the limitations of each in actual use.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great write up. Run that 18650. Run time & heat problems both solved. ;)

Keep the two battery set up for showing off on the weekend:yes:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of a V5 Dropin try to find a WASP. I've been using one on duty and love it, the open air design will help cool the light and sustain higher brightness a little longer.

k3751

Newly Enlightened
Instead of a V5 Dropin try to find a WASP. I've been using one on duty and love it, the open air design will help cool the light and sustain higher brightness a little longer.

I was wondering about that. Is there a significant difference between the cooling ability between the WASP and the P60 dropin. What are you using for a body? I'd like to be able to get into a 2x18650 for less that the $400ish that a whole new setup from Oveready would cost, if they have all the parts in stock.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Outstanding post k3751, thank you. It does sound like you need to mentally transition to the 1x18650 config though - the slight decrease in initial output should be greatly compensated by the, what, ~3x runtime ?

The BOSS is certainly on my short list to buy, and I think 1x18650 is going to be the ticket for me- I /love/ a relatively-flat-regulated long-runtime high instead of a thermal-limited 'higher'.

My last 'build' along these lines was this 2x18650 SureFire 7Z, providing a ~2.5 hour 'high' with a previous-generation OR Triple - when I'm using my brightest lights, I like to not have to worry about runtime. :)

Last edited:

Drummer

Newly Enlightened
As a plain clothes LEO my EDC is a HDS Rotary. I love the looks of the BOSS but the UI looks way too complex to be used in a duty role. Obviously, you've got it figured out but the charts on the website make my eyes water. I'd prefer high only output to having multiple clicks to get different outputs. The Surefire tactical switches always worked well for me but I steer clear of having to make multiple clicks for different outputs. I wish the BOSS was cop proof.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a plain clothes LEO my EDC is a HDS Rotary. I love the looks of the BOSS but the UI looks way too complex to be used in a duty role. Obviously, you've got it figured out but the charts on the website make my eyes water. I'd prefer high only output to having multiple clicks to get different outputs. The Surefire tactical switches always worked well for me but I steer clear of having to make multiple clicks for different outputs. I wish the BOSS was cop proof.

That's the beauty. You want high only? Set up all modes to high. Click once, accidentally click 2-3x, so what? ;) always high. (Mode)

Don't think you can set it up, I bet they'll set it up for you before they ship to you.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's funny, my main complaint with the BOSS is that the UI is too simple.

k3751

Newly Enlightened

Drummer, I'll echo Tejasnadre's post. I'm set up so my first three modes are 2500, 2500, and 750 (approx) lumens, all three of which are more than adequate. The only reason I use my fourth "click" as a low (around 15 lumens I believe) is for utility purpose around the house. I haven't had an accidental activation of a lower light level yet. If this was a dedicated tac/entry light, I'd put all modes at the same. No doubt it's not as fool proof as the HDS rotary for selecting multiple outputs, but I haven't looked back. If you're interested, I'd urge you to give it a shot. I can speak from experience that if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for virtually no loss.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a significant difference between the cooling ability between the WASP and the P60 dropin[?]

An excellent question that has been asked but never answered. People can make informed guesses, and the variables are a challenge. The exterior of the Wasp seems to heat up faster but will cool quicker because of the open design (increased surface area), especially given more air movement and lower ambient temperature. So I think your pattern of use comes into play. For long duration at the highest settings, it seems like the Wasp would perform at a higher sustained output. How much more? Probably undetectable without solid diagnostic tools. It would be very interesting to see a skilled, tested response to your question.

k3751

Newly Enlightened
An excellent question that has been asked but never answered. People can make informed guesses, and the variables are a challenge. The exterior of the Wasp seems to heat up faster but will cool quicker because of the open design (increased surface area), especially given more air movement and lower ambient temperature. So I think your pattern of use comes into play. For long duration at the highest settings, it seems like the Wasp would perform at a higher sustained output. How much more? Probably undetectable without solid diagnostic tools. It would be very interesting to see a skilled, tested response to your question.
:thumbsup:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I was wondering about that. Is there a significant difference between the cooling ability between the WASP and the P60 dropin.
Wasp was specifically designed for cooling. Airflow under the shelf means heat can start shedding almost as soon as its made and one piece contacts means it gets to all surfaces as quickly as possible. P60 feels cooler since it takes longer to reach the surface but does not even start to cool until after it feels hot.

The Surefire tactical switches always worked well for me but I steer clear of having to make multiple clicks for different outputs. I wish the BOSS was cop proof.

BOSS (and the new E head) are available in 9 preconfigured mode packages.

7, 8, and 9 are specifically designed to be cop proof:

bossmodes.png

1) go with the 70 length for maximum flexibility/runtime/grip

2) add a holster for easy uniform/street conversion

3) go with 9 if you'll be 18650 with 123 backup

4) go with 8 for the ability to add runtime when needed

5) go with 7 for absolute maximum only at all times

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Electronguru- Lol at "Cop Proof" :) There was a saying when I was serving in the U.S. Army that holds true for cops. I spent 21 years working with 165+/- of our Finest every day, so I feel my perspective is a fair one. The saying was (to paraphrase politely) "If you lock a soldier (or in this case cop) in an empty room for a day with a concrete block or a bowling ball, one or both would be broken when you opened the door." :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Electronguru- Lol at "Cop Proof" :) There was a saying when I was serving in the U.S. Army that holds true for cops. I spent 21 years working with 165+/- of our Finest every day, so I feel my perspective is a fair one. The saying was (to paraphrase politely) "If you lock a soldier (or in this case cop) in an empty room for a day with a concrete block or a bowling ball, one or both would be broken when you opened the door." :)
Yes, I should have been more clear. He seems to be referring to the modes being cop proof, so I was referring to the modes. That said, I would love hearing about a BOSS subjected to such real world conditions.