My toddler dropped Fenix E05 into heater

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Not sure where to post this, seems a bit too ridiculous for the general flashllight discussion and not quite right for the battery section.

My 2 y/o loves my lights and dropped a Fenix E05 SS, turned on, into this wall-steam radiator. Luckily it's summer, but is this a safety issue?

I can't retrieve it without calling an HVAC person, as it would require taking the unit apart. I removed the grill and no luck.

I take it the eneloop 1xAAA NiMH will drain until the light shuts off, but if I leave it in there and the heat goes on next winter, is this a fire/explosion hazard?
6d907140a2e731e9277a2d23ccad86b3.jpg

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Telescoping magnet [emoji106]
Thanks hadnt thought of that, ;) I'll order one.

I'm not sure a straight rod will reach, because the vent hole arcs into the wall.

I'll try to gerrry-rig it on a string.

First world problems I guess.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Unless you get a special magnet, from like Chernobyl, I doubt it'll pick Aluminum.

MacGyver something w/ super sticky double sided tape maybe, needle nose pliers & a stick of gum*

* kidding on the gum:huh:

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the magnet is strong enough it should grab the battery through the aluminum. Magnet on a string to get it in front of the grate. Needle nose plier to fish it out.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are flexible "claw" devices sold at most auto parts stores for less than $10. The flexible shaft gets close to the light, open claw, advance, close claw.pull the light out. You can buy a flexible camera to guid you if needed(less than $20 from China, Harbor Freight sells them too, more expensive though). Or, call and ask an HVAC tech-if they say it is not a hazard, buy a new Fenix....perhaps with a chain on it....[emoji3]

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Its the Stainless Steel Fenix E05, so a magnet should pick it up. I ordered this from Amazon, it picks up my Thrunite Ti SS just fine, but its too big (and straight) to fit down the arching vent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RB3XBA/

On the upside, its a nice tool for $5, and my toddler is currently enjoying using it to pick up screws.

Thinking I'll just look for a similar strong magnet that I can tie a string or fishing line, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DKLK62/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a plumbing hvac tech and I don't see any way that I would be able to fix it beside the aforementioned suggestions.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry, but why don't you use a sucking power of a vacuum cleaner? Take off the nozzle, run it full power. If the heater channel is narrow enough you will find your light in the garbage of the vacuum cleaner :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could try using a piece of house wire tied to a magnet that way you can bend it to navigate around obstacles. A vacuum cleaner may work if you used a smaller diameter flexible hose attached to it. Beware you may need to leave a small hole where the smaller hose attaches so as to not put a huge strain on the motor if left running a long time.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Hehe @ magnet heater.

Yeah so I took the magnet off the telescoping magnet thing, drilled a hole through the piece of alum rod left, and put some line through, but yes, the magnet just stuck to the heater, couldn't drop it down the vent.

Tried a broken off clothes hanger wire, just got stuck.

I definitely used some other flashlights to try to remove the lost flashlight. No luck tho. I'll try a vacuum but the thing isn't reallyt airtight, I can see part of the missing light through the seems.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hehe @ magnet heater.

Yeah so I took the magnet off the telescoping magnet thing, drilled a hole through the piece of alum rod left, and put some line through, but yes, the magnet just stuck to the heater, couldn't drop it down the vent.

Tried a broken off clothes hanger wire, just got stuck.

I definitely used some other flashlights to try to remove the lost flashlight. No luck tho. I'll try a vacuum but the thing isn't reallyt airtight, I can see part of the missing light through the seems.
If it isn't airtight you may need to find a hose a little larger than the light itself and hopefully suck the light into it with a vacuum enough to get it out of there. One other alternative which could possibly work is stick a magnet inside a hose with a string on it so you can lower it to the light and use the hose to keep it from sticking to the radiator.

If it isn't airtight you may need to find a hose a little larger than the light itself and hopefully suck the light into it with a vacuum enough to get it out of there. One other alternative which could possibly work is stick a magnet inside a hose with a string on it so you can lower it to the light and use the hose to keep it from sticking to the radiator.
That is a brilliant idea! :twothumbs

Man! I wish I'd have thought of it. Forget the string, though. Just use a long enough piece of hose to reach the light. It should be easier to maneuver.

~ Chance