Multipurpose Camping Flashlight

krutone

Newly Enlightened
A little background, I currently have a Duracell 500 LED flashlight I purchased from Costco a few years ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FO1TUH4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I like its uniform and zoomable throw. I don't like its size (8.5") and weight which is mainly due using 3x C batteries. I'm looking for a rechargeable (eg 18650) flashlight which offers similar features to the Duracell 500.

Specs (most important first):

Budget $50-200
1. Rechargeable batteries (prefer Lithium eg 18650)
2. Uniform throw
3. Zoomable throw (eg telescoping lens on head)
4. LED 600-1000 lumen (prefer Cree)
5. Diffuser attachment for camping (eg hanging flashlight in a tent)
6. 4-7"
7. USB recharge port on flashlight (eg Nightcore MH25GT)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_x_Up to $200.

3) Format:

_x_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

_x_SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

_x_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_x_I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_x_I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
_x_I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

_x_I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
_x_I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
_x_I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_x_I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_x_I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

_x_SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
_x_ Uniform and Zoomable
_x_All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
_x_Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
_x_Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
_x_Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
_x_Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_x_Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_x_Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_x_5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x_30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_x_50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_x_150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_x_ (Turbo) 30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x_ (Turbo) 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
_x_(High) 3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_x_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_x_I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_x_ I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_x_ (Lo-Med-High is fine) I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_x_ (Optional) I want a selector ring.
_x_ (Optional) I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_x_Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
_x_Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
_x_Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
Higher is better
_x_IPX4 (Splash resistant)
_x_IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
_x_IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
_x_In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
_x_Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
_x_ Diffuser attachment for tent/table illumination at camp
_x_ (Optional) Pocket/belt clip