Solid all-arounder for 2017?

realjoshfreeman

Newly Enlightened
My son is getting to the age where he can both make use of and keep up with decent outdoor gear, and I'd like to make him a gift of a solid general-use flashlight. I have several lights that I'm pretty happy with, but they're primarily SureFire and Foursevens models made from '05-'09 that aren't available anymore.

Based on my outdated experience, what I'd buy today if I could is a Foursevens Quark Tactical with the 2x123 body and a Warm or Neutral 0.8-4.2V head. That would give him a solid light with versatile programmable output but a simple everyday-use UI. Additionally, with the spare 2xAA Quark body I already have (and spacers where needed), he could run the light off 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x(R)CR123, or 1x16650.

But since I can't get that, what should I be looking at in 2017? Who are the players, now?

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
-I don't care.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
- Up to $50. Up to $70, maybe, if there were a compelling reason.

3) Format:
- Handheld, self-contained, traditional flashlight.

4) Size:
- TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches)
- SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
- LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
- The best balance of quality, price, and features is most important. I'm fine with a traditional manufacturer, a custom build, or assembling a Frankenlight from components to strike that best balance.

7) What power source do you want to use?
- In descending order of preference:
1. AA such that primary lithium, primary alkaline, or rechargeable NiMH may all be used.
2. Single rechargeable lithium-ion cells with >2000 mAh capacity.
3. Integrated USB-rechargeable pack.

- Bonus points for being able to use more than one battery type either internally or via swappable bodies. A rechargeable option is a must. I'm not interested in 2xCR123-only lights due to the relatively low capacity of RCR123s.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
- Stand-alone charger (remove batteries to charge)
- USB rechargeable.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
- Max in the 200-400 lumen range.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.
- In the neighborhood of an hour at maximum setting.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
- Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
- Gonna go with "I don't care" on this one. Slight preference for something capable of momentary activation, for signaling.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__X__I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
- Metal body a must, specific material not so much a concern. The more durable the finish the better, while still staying within price target.

15) Water resistance
- At least IPX7 (1 meter submersible for 30 minutes) an absolute must. We are lake people, and occasionally fall in.

16) Storage conditions
- Mostly in house. Will be a near-EDC item.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
- Ability to attach a lanyard preferred.
- A clip for a hat bill to make an improvised headlamp in a pinch would be a bonus.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Check out the PFlex Pro upgraded Convoy S2+. 22 selectable modes, fully potted electronics, available forward clicky or reverse clicky. Around $60.00.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory is currently selling the Seraph 6 body only for around $20 shipped. Get that, and get Mountain Electronics' CUXM/CUXP drop in with either a Cree or Nichia LED. You get a choice of several different sets of modes, and it too is about $20 shipped. Add one of their belt holsters and you have have the whole thing for around $45.