Rallye H7 vs Racing Vision H7 (2016 VW E-Golf)

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Good friend picked up a new runabout and is complaining about the lights. I know that (unfortunately) there is no H15 upgrade, but which H7 is preferable? I don't want to damage his reflectors, especially on a lease, but I know the Rallye H7's flux will be much higher than the Racing Vision's flux.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Racing Vision will give extremely short bulb life. Might want to back off one step and get these.

jzchen

Enlightened
Would the concern about bulb life also apply to low use vehicles? We have a 2013 which started service in Oct/Nov 2012 with only about 13k something miles.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Would the concern about bulb life also apply to low use vehicles? We have a 2013 which started service in Oct/Nov 2012 with only about 13k something miles.

I have had H4 X-Treme vision +100s in a spare SUV that gets less than a few thousand miles a year and they have been going strong since I put them in. Personally I don't mind a shorter lifespan, but some cars are difficult to change bulbs on and some people do not have as much of a tolerance for swapping them out more frequently.

I'd say go for it, other than lifespan I don't know of any downsides to Racing Visions. $30 once or twice a year is cheaper than an accident

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you for the insight! I guess it's kind of difficult to say how many hours the lights are on in a year. If I do get them I'll report back how long, (in years), I get out of them.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the insight! I guess it's kind of difficult to say how many hours the lights are on in a year. If I do get them I'll report back how long, (in years), I get out of them.

Powerbulbs was having a 20% off sale last week when I ordered my set of RVs. Cheaper than amazon and (probably) more trustworthy.

jzchen

Enlightened
Powerbulbs was having a 20% off sale last week when I ordered my set of RVs. Cheaper than amazon and (probably) more trustworthy.

Thank you for the heads up! I looked into it and they were still having the sale. I have another car in the household that has a headlight with broken mounting tabs I am having to deal with at the moment...

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Racing Visions are in and I'm pretty satisfied with their output, but the owner is mostly indifferent (some people just don't see the light). I didn't bother looking at what the OEM H7s were, but I'm assuming they are horrid LLs based on how much of an improvement this made. Lights were mediocre at best, not terrible but not acceptable. Now they are actually one of the better halogen lights I've driven behind, I'd say as good if not better than my H9 swapped Mazda 3.

Being a German car installation was terrible and VW prescribed removing the bumper and both headlights to change the bulbs. I managed to get one hang throughout the fender liner and one through the hood to change them in about 30 minutes.

Overall I would highly recommend these, I haven't been able to compare them to Osram rallye h7s in identical housings, but being standard wattage they should be safer for the car.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy. I'm guessing the owner was hoping they would look like HIDs...

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy. I'm guessing the owner was hoping they would look like HIDs...

I would guesstimate the OEM LLs in the lower 3000 Kelvin range, and these at or above 3500K. Visually blue-r to me, but obviously not 6000K+ like the $5000 OEM LED package.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powerbulbs
Philips RacingVision bulbs produce a colour temperature of 3400K - 3700K. This produces a whiter light than standard, which allows you to focus better on any potential hazards. You'll experience a safer and more exhilarating drive.
Oh, c'mon, Powerbulbs. When did you hire someone from PIAA to do your copy?

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/10/philips-racingvision-is-auto-express-2017-headlamp-of-the-year/

AutoExpress in the UK named the Racing Vision as their headlight "bulb of the year"

...They are probably the strongest legal halogen lamp ever manufactured, says the company...The specific colour temperature (up to 3,500 Kelvin) of Philips RacingVision also help drivers' eyes focus better...RacingVision bulbs are among the brightest, thanks to their optimized high precision filament geometry, up to thirteen bars of high pressure gas filled, high quality anti-UV-quartz-glass with chrome coating...