Spotlight For ATVing And Vehicle Use

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been a CPF member for some time now, but primarily have focused on LED flashlights. One of my hobbies is ATVing. I am interested in getting a spotlight to keep in the storage container when I am out riding. My ATV has a 12 volt power port. The last spotlight I had many years ago was a sealed beam, incandescent model that simply plugged into the 12 volt power port of my vehicle. I am particularly looking for great throw. If I see something on the ATV trail or nearby, I want to be able to illuminate from as far away as practical. Should I focus on an LED spotlight? Also, I might not necessarily have to have one that has a built in battery pack, but I wouldn't necessarily avoid one that has it either. I do think that something that is rugged would be good. I would likely keep it in a padded, cordura nylon pouch in the ATV. Where should I start to select one?

BVH

Flashaholic
Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
It's possible to build your own HID spotlight for around $200 or less, as long as you're not looking for Lithium-ion battery option as it will go over $200. And some other options will cost much more.

I have built my own custom HID spotlight off the Cyclops Thor X Halogen spotlight (the original Halogen bulb do the job okay, however 2,200 Kelvins light doesn't work for my eyes, it looks a bit too dim for me so I chose to just upgrade it to HID, and it wasn't trivial. Had to rewire the whole thing for sanity reasons). All that costs me $300 in total (as I went with Bioenno Power 6.6 Amps hour Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery pack for two hours burn time off that battery pack, as well as a few bells and whistles like the DROK 7 in 1 panel-mount OLED multimeter so I know how much juice I have used up before having to recharge it).

Is it worth it going down the DIY route? You decide. Sometimes it is not worth it, given the hazards associated with risk of bulb rupture risks and high voltage.

Last edited:

dariman3

Newly Enlightened
Hi, New here. Learning alot. Thought I might recommend a Golight remote control spotlight. I have a couple leds and a couple hids. Magnetic mount, 370° rotation and a 135° vertical sweep. Found some good deals on ebay.