Single mode forward clicky 18650 or ICR123

Burncycle

Newly Enlightened
My current go to lights are the Streamlight Microstream, Zebralight SC600 Mk II, and Blackshadow Terminator. These seem to handle all of my EDC and Fire Department needs well enough, but I will be taking a tactical pistol course soon and will need a light with a tailswitch. It will be used simultaneously with a handgun.

I prefer a simple forward clicky like the Streamlight Microstream, but I'm aware that it's rare to find single mode clicky lights anymore. So I don't necessarily mind multi-mode, so long as it doesn't get in the way; I may be momentarily turning the light on and off fairly rapidly and don't want to be switching modes unintentionally.

Size doesn't bother me as long as it's at or below 6P form factor. I'd be okay with a protected 18650 sized light, or a single CR123 sized light as long as it can accept ICR123 protected rechargables. Same with output -- I'm always a fan of pocket rockets and I don't believe I will be having this light on for more than a few minutes at a time, but anything of suitable brightness would be fine towards the high end of what those batteries are capable of. I'd prefer a regulated light if possible.

I intend to buy online, and have a couple of weeks, but I'd prefer to have one suitable from the factory rather than having to assemble one myself. Price under $100 if at all possible.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, it's been a long time since I've caught up on the latest and greatest when it comes to lights!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Malkoff M61 MD2, it comes in a fraction over budget but has forward clicky, takes 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123's.

The output should be sufficient for pistol shooting.

Malkoff's are built like tanks and have a lifetime warranty.

If you are willing to up the budget then the M61HOT MD2 with the optional High/Low ring will make a more versatile light.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another alternative to look at is the new Surefire G2Z Combatlight with MaxVision, list price of $120.99 but they are available below $100.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........I prefer a simple forward clicky like the Streamlight Microstream, but I'm aware that it's rare to find single mode clicky lights anymore. So I don't necessarily mind multi-mode, so long as it doesn't get in the way; I may be momentarily turning the light on and off fairly rapidly and don't want to be switching modes unintentionally.........
Multi-mode won't matter at all with a forward clicky switch as most of them have a separate mode select button with memory. You can just select which output you will use most of time with the handgun and leave it in that mode when you turn it off.....it will always be in that mode when back on......even if using it in a momentary fashion. That leaves the selection wide open for what to get. I'd get a 18650 vs a single CR123A light as I think the size would fit better in your hand. Normally I think a good fit would be the newer Fenix 2016 PD32 but that has kind of stiff tail cap switch. For using the momentary function a lot, I'd opt for basically a light just like it but with an easier to press tail cap switch. I like my Nitecore MT20C but wish it had an XP-L LED. However everything else about it should work. The Nitecore PD12GT would work. Thrunite makes a similar light.

cp2315

Enlightened
Surefire G2X tactical. reliable, easy to use and light weight. only $50. you need a 16650 though. It does not take 18650

Malkoff MD2 has a shrouded tailcap and is not as easy to use as protruded buttons.