Multipurpose 18650 (Camping, Hiking, and Home Use)

krutone

Newly Enlightened
Changed my mind, and I no longer want a zooming flashlight.

I'm currently looking at the Klarus XT11s (1100 lumen 35K Cd) as my top choice. I'm wondering if there are any cheaper or better alternatives that have programmable light levels (eg, disable SOS and Strobe like the Convoy C8) while not being as throwy as the C8.

Ideal Specs (most important first):
1. 800-1200 lumen, 20~30K candela
2. 1x 18650
3. 150g
4. Programmable (eg Bistro UI)
5. 5-7"
6. USB Charging
7. IPX-8

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_x_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_x_Up to $100.

3) Format:

_x_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

_x_SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
Ideally < 200g

5) Emitter/Light source:

_x_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_x_I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_x_I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

_x_I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

_x_I want a light with microUSB charging for a removable 18650

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_x_I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_x_I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
_x_SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_x_Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
_x_Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
_x_Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_x_5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_x__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_x__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_x__I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_x_I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_x__I don't care.

15) Water resistance

_x__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
_x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
_x__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
_x__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

N/A

Latest posts