Help choosing components for Arc LS triple build

Seanedc

Newly Enlightened
Hello gang. I've been away from the flashlight scene for over ten years. I decided I was going to attempt some mods on my old lights but got overwhelmed with all the new stuff available. I was looking at kaidomain.
1) Id like to build up a triple Arc Ls. I don't need a million modes I'm just looking to make it brighter. 3 modes is fine.

2) I'd like to know what emitter could be swapped into a Novatac EDC 120.

3) I'd like to know what fits in the old HDS 60 lights.

Im good at soldering and building things. I've also swapped emitters before.

Any info would be really appreciated. Sites to order from too.

Thank you

pc_light

Enlightened
Welcome back.

For the past year I've been in the same upgrade mode and updated over a dozen old lights. Did two HDS EDC's with straight Cree emitter swaps and the results have been outstanding.

WRT #1) Good luck opening up the Arc. Mine was sealed seriously tight. I destroyed the plastic spacer/lock ring inside getting it open. I was fortunate and got a built triple made my DatiLED.

WRT #2 & #3) -
The new Cree and Nichia's work great. I put a Cree XM-L2 in one and a Nichia 219C in another (both warm neutral's). The results were easily 2-3x light output and same beam profile.

These LEDs work fine with all the voltages and current provided by the EDC. The trickest part was getting the emitter to fit and set at the correct height for the reflector. The shape inside the EDC's are quite unique and will involve cutting/filing down a MCPCB to fit into the slotted space and then use of a spacer for lift.

Here's a before and after beam shot of my B60 original (left) and the Nicha 219C 4000 upgrade (right).
isXLnJb.jpg

Last edited:

Seanedc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great response. I'll get my list of goodies ordered up tonight.
I've had my Arc lights open before. It's not much fun. I only have one left to open up. It's really fighting me.
Thank you PC Light