HID flashlights? (not weird, expensive, anti-aircraft lights)

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
This sub forum seems to be dominated by the weird hobbyist stuff. Which is fine for enthusiasts, but makes it hard to find info on "practical" OEM light choices.

If I want to see what an HID is all about, what can I buy in a flashlight form factor (say the size of a Mag Lite, with a nice big diameter reflector for throwing a pencil beam), without a second mortgage??

archimedes

Flashaholic
This sub forum seems to be dominated by the weird hobbyist stuff. Which is fine for enthusiasts, but makes it hard to find info on "practical" OEM light choices.

If I want to see what an HID is all about, what can I buy in a flashlight form factor (say the size of a Mag Lite, with a nice big diameter reflector for throwing a pencil beam), without a second mortgage??

Except for the "weird hobbyist stuff" as you put it, HID has been surpassed by advancing LED tech over the past few years, thus the following are all discontinued (but might be found second-hand) ...

• Macs MiniHID (I have one of these)

• Fire-Foxes (several runs, but I have an FF-III)

• JiL Lite EZNite (I want one)

Joseph35w

Newly Enlightened
Or the Arc series of Surefire hid lights but there really expensive like $1,999 on B&H photo-video

StarHalo

Flashaholic
HID is pretty much weird hobbyist stuff, it's not very practical; you can't turn it on/off rapidly, you have to wait for it to warm up to full output, the beam is dangerously hot near the reflector, you have to wear gloves to handle the bulb, etc. Monstrous floody spill while still lighting up things a quarter mile away never gets old though..

Joseph35w

Newly Enlightened
Or a Nighthunter 2 it looks like the Maglite looked itself in the mirror and said "Where's my led bulb???":p

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to agree with starhalo, HID is quickly going the way of the dodo. :(
It still has its place in some aspects but for the most part, it's not an economically viable product.
There will always be a few of us die-hard HID fans but like Star pointed out, LED has excelled well into the HIDs performance range with lower costs and power requirements, as well as better user formats. To truly surpass LED, one needs to step up to xenon short arc lights in order to avoid the dreaded HID warm-up/cool-down times and still retain HIDs throw (over LED), but now you're talking much higher expense and user expertise to operate and maintain. Not to mention the safety hazards associated with HID/xenon SA. (High voltage, UV exposure, fire, etc.)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
HID is pretty much weird hobbyist stuff, it's not very practical; you can't turn it on/off rapidly, you have to wait for it to warm up to full output, the beam is dangerously hot near the reflector, you have to wear gloves to handle the bulb, etc. Monstrous floody spill while still lighting up things a quarter mile away never gets old though..

I totally disagree that HID lights are hobbyist stuff. Please show me one LED flashlight that can run full powered for more than 15 minutes before the thermal circuit cuts the power back to keep the LED from overheating.

I've probably got 10 different HID lights. Of those 10, only 2 have a significant warm up, but even then, less than 10 seconds to full output.

The longest warm up light I've got is the FireFoxes FF4. It's the same size as the TM15. The FF4 takes about 10 seconds to stabilize indicted by the light color.

My Polarion PH40, and the Polarion Night Reaper, from the push of the button developed full brightness in less than 2 seconds. The great thing is that the lights put out 3000 and 5000 lumens till the battery goes flat.

As for bulb handling and replacement, IMO, it's a non-issue.

The only HID/short ARC light I've had to replace a bulb on was one of the Maxa Beam generation 2 lights when used with the higher powered lithium ion pack and latching high.

The Xeononics Night Hunter 2 lights aren't a good deal since Xeononics went bust a few months back and the Night Hunter 2 is an obsolete light with crappy batteries. Good luck finding replacements. Yep, it looks like a Mag Light on steroids, but not a very good light. The Night Hunter 3 corrected the battery issue and changed the appearance of the light.

The Night Hunter 1 if a newer model is a pretty nice light provided it's NiMH or lithium powered. They're easy enough to make a lithium battery pack for or selecting the right RC pack and use a hobby charger.

My two favorites are the Maxa Beam and the Night Hunter 1 for the beam adjustability. Going from pin point to wide is either a twist of the wrist or the push of a button. Try that with a LED?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
HID is pretty much weird hobbyist stuff, it's not very practical; you can't turn it on/off rapidly

Only true for the cheap Chinese stuff, the high end HID lights $1,500 plus don't have this limitation. Strobing is not a problem.

FRIZHID: Hand held!! Short arc's are only practical for "sniper" (hot spot is too small otherwise and no spill) type uses and for wow factor, Metal Halide HID is more practical for search and rescue, powerline inspection etc. LED is not useful at long ranges. Each of the 3 technologies have their place and applications where they are the best suited technology. I would agree that LED has more everyday practical application for the masses (99.9%) of users. I would say Short arc Xenon has the least number of practical applications for the broad spectrum of users.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I totally disagree that HID lights are hobbyist stuff. Please show me one LED flashlight that can run full powered for more than 15 minutes before the thermal circuit cuts the power back to keep the LED from overheating....

I am guessing that you mean among ultra-high powered lights ?

Malkoff, among others, are designed to run at full power continuously without thermal throttling.

Joseph35w

Newly Enlightened
Hey Xeray you still them DL-50 fatboys, I have a 15 amp dc powersupply and with 75w put in the lightbox, I think the 15 amp (200w) AC/DC should do more than what the 75w usaullly can achieve

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Discussion & nice beamshots of FF4, that ebay style, and several others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbT4vFO0Dg The ebay light he thinks is maybe actually 3500 Lm -- but for $110, if it maintains for 30 minutes, that's pretty cheap. things like the FireFox are probably good builds for the high money -- but are they "production" lights or one-run hobby customs?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

A good HID is expensive. The technology is a bit more complicated if you want it to be good. I think the Firefoxes FF4 would be the only quality HID light in the flashlight form factor that is not too expensive. You might be able to find it used. It's not suited for professional (rough, long-term) use though which is where HID lights really excel.

So if you want the latter it will need to be Xeray/Lemax or Polarion.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Xeray you still them DL-50 fatboys, I have a 15 amp dc powersupply and with 75w put in the lightbox, I think the 15 amp (200w) AC/DC should do more than what the 75w usaullly can achieve

Yes, we still have a substantial stock of them.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing that you mean among ultra-high powered lights ?

Malkoff, among others, are designed to run at full power continuously without thermal throttling.

I'm referring to a light that puts out 2000 plus lumens.

I've got the Fenix TK75 in three flavors, 2600,2900, and 4000 lumens same goes for Nitecore Tiny Monsters and Olight SR92 and Sr95.

LED lights have made great strides, but for continuous use, HID has it over LED lights.

PolarLi

Enlightened
The LED cooling issue is easy enough to solve with fan cooling. There is a few flashlights on the market already, and more is coming. I've always been a firm believer in that setup, and I own a fan cooled LED headlamp, so I know it works.

dariman3

Newly Enlightened
The LED cooling issue is easy enough to solve with fan cooling. There is a few flashlights on the market already, and more is coming. I've always been a firm believer in that setup, and I own a fan cooled LED headlamp, so I know it works.

Let's hear more about this headlamp! If you don't mind.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Lamp is called Moonlight Bright As Day 3000. (3000lm) The version I have is discontinued, and replaced by a new 5000 lm version. You also get one with 10000lm.
The big plus IMO, beside high, continuous output, is low weight. You save a lot of heatsinking with active cooling. But of course, the battery pack is still pretty big and heavy, 8x18650...

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Lamp is called Moonlight Bright As Day 3000. (3000lm) The version I have is discontinued, and replaced by a new 5000 lm version. You also get one with 10000lm. The big plus IMO, beside high, continuous output, is low weight. You save a lot of heatsinking with active cooling. But of course, the battery pack is still pretty big and heavy, 8x18650...
Link? ALl I find is a scandinavian site selling a multi-LED lamp to be mounted on a skiing helment https://www.tromsoskiogsykkel.no/ski/utstyr/lykter/moonlight-bright-as-day-10000-hodelykt