• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTS: AN/TVS-3 30" Military Battlefield Illuminator Searchlights 1.2billion CP *HULKS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
WTS: AN/TVS-3 30" Military Battlefield Illuminator Searchlights 1.2billion CP *HULKS*

Need to build a ~Really Big Light~? Why yes, you do. One of these is what to start with.

$750 each OBO. Great deals for more than one, and save on shipping. Discount for good homes.

These are the first units I bought to start my crazy TVS-3 project (see http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?348441-AN-TVS-3-project for details and photos), I had the intention of restoring them but with 8 operating units and 2 more needing minor repair the remaining 8 have been parts donors and are taking up warehouse space.

These units are a bit rough, the liquid-cooled short-arc bits have been stripped and exterior cables are cut. The body and mirror and towable trailer would make a great platform for a monster light, converting with a 12k or 18k HMI would be brighter than the original pure Xenon short-arc (>50% of that output is IR).

They are original Army (not NASA modified) units that were apparently sold to a searchlight operator in the 70s, then stored outside for 20+ years and recently in a warehouse for 5 years.
- Exterior complete. Serious cleaning required.
- Mirror, front quartz lens and spread lens are complete on 6 units, broken on 2 units.
- Includes an original C-7404/TVS-3 control box (not tested), cable not included.
- Mirror needs serious cleaning and likely polishing.
- The Xenon short-arc lamp, ignitor, transformer, rectifiers, coolant pump, radiator and fan have been removed.
- External power cables have been cut (stolen by copper thieves).
- Hydraulic hoses for the azimuth and elevation locks have disintegrated.

With a conversion to use a modern short-arc or HMI lamp, this would make them much more usable (regular 60Hz power!) and easy modern parts.

We added servo motor controls to several of these units and can provide documentation on modifications - control a big light with a phone.

Each unit is approximately 6' wide x 7' long (including tongue) x 6' tall and weighs 1200lbs, and include a pintle hitch. For shipping, two units dovetail and take less than 2x space. Almost everything is aluminum except the axles and wheels.

We have 8 of these in varying condition. First buyers get choice. We will provide site inspection (San Francisco Treasure Island) or detailed photos.

Freight shipment: you order the truck, we can forklift-load into a box van for LTL or on to a flatbed. You could also pick up in San Francisco and tow them home with a pintle hitch, though replacing the 50 year old tires and tubes would be required.

Last edited:

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTS: AN/TVS-3 30" Military Battlefield Illuminator Searchlights 1.2billion CP *HU

And now I'll throw in a 12k HMI head and ballast (working state unknown, no lens, no cables). The 12k HMI actually puts out more visible light than the 20kW xenon.
Price reduced!

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTS: AN/TVS-3 30" Military Battlefield Illuminator Searchlights 1.2billion CP *HU

Price reduced! Make an offer!

toastystuff

Enlightened

That is absolutely insane!!!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you do trades? I have a 2AA maglite I'm not using?

nealitc

Newly Enlightened

Last chance. These are going to be scrapped.
Unfortunately the lot where I had this stored is being developed ("progress"). Pick up or shipment from San Francisco 94130.
There are 2 complete units. 2 restorable units (sans lamps). No heat exchangers (all leaked) new ones available from custom radiator shop. 3 chassis with reflectors. 3 15-kW 400Hz generators (restorable).

Would love to find a home for these or some of it. PM if interested.

swami dridapada

Newly Enlightened

I would like to procure them .
Please acknowledge this message.
If you can ping me with your email id i would like to discuss in detail about how we can proceed further.

I am looking forward to creating a light column for worlds largest bust statue - a 112 ft Adiyogi statue located in India. Check out the link below
https://g.co/kgs/fHrRgj

Looking forward to hearing from you .

Pranam

archimedes

Flashaholic

Looks like a duplicate thread. We'll close this one for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.