Short Arc Lights-Help Me Find More Hi Wattage Military and Aviation Short Arc Lights

BVH

Flashaholic
As the title says, send me a PM if you come across military and aviation short arc lights that don't appear in my signature and that you are not interested in. In particular, there is a 2000 Watt ORC - Optical Radiation Light that is used on the AC130 Spectre gunship that I'd love to acquire. I missed one by about 6 weeks maybe 3 years ago. But anything short arc i'm interested in. (I had a VSS-1a so am not interested in that nor the ANTVS-3 10,000 Watt lights - too big and complicated)

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
It's taken quite a long time but I have finally acquired another Heavy Iron Short Arc light. A big thanks to PolarLi for sending me in the right direction!! I'll start a new thread but here's a shot at 1.08 Miles.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
My good man: I am not very computer friendly, so check out Craigslist in the Boise, Idaho area, enter the word "military" and see what happens. There is a strange light of some sort, maybe older than what you are interested in, but it's only $50 bucks. Pictures don't show much, but worthy of a look, I think.

BVH

Flashaholic
Found it Bill. Unfortunately, it's an incandescent. I stopped hoarding those a long time ago. But thank you very much for keeping an eye out for me!

BVH

Flashaholic
Good find. Ceiling - meaning cloud ceiling. They determined the height of the clouds with this. Unfortunately, it's an incan, not a short arc. Thanks for thinking for me!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this light when BVH 1st made his req... it has potential, i'd be into it for $100.00 for experimentation but no way @ over $1k.
it's incan, and reflector would never stand up to SA radiation. :(

B, the tough thing is... again.... YOU (BVH) ARE THE GUY WE ALL GO TO FOR THESE LIGHTS! Tou find them before any of us even know they exist! lol

(in effort to NOT hyjack the thread, if anyone has leads to retroreflector lights like the one posted above (in a "makers" price range please), please let me know, i need some for some laser-to-phosphor light experiments.)

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
You need an AN/TVS-3! And I happen to have 8 "extra" that need new homes. Amazing 30" reflector. I'll throw 12k/18k HMI parts for retrofit (240V/60Hz but not with the focus of a short-arc). You're the guy for the project!

BVH

Flashaholic
Somehow, I knew Nealitc would pop up in this thread at some point in time with his great lights. :D They are more than I want to play with and I've no place to keep one. Can't get it to the back yard, won't move one of my cars out of the garage. I've held a 20KW short arc lamp in my hands - albeit with not gases in it. I don't think I'd try it fully charged even with my welding leathers and all the rest of my gear. I have a bad enough time just handling the NightSun 1600 Watt and VSS-3A 1000 Watt lamps.

Sooooo, please keep looking!