Worth resurrecting?

Ross

Enlightened
Evening all, been a while since I posted here :) ex-flashaholic checking back in. I've tinkered over the last couple of years, picked up a nice little MecArmy PT16 recently and was blown away by the ease of recharging, the tint of the LED's and the overall improvement since the early days of LED flashlights.

So, I was raking through some old lights, and I want to get rid of CR123 batteries. I was wondering if the following were worth swapping to a xxXX0 battery, and if so, which battery?

Night Ops Gladius (CREE modded) - currently 2 x 123
Zebralight H30 - currently 1 x 123
Surefire G2 (old skool yellow poly one with LED mod i think...) - 2 x 123
Surefire LED head on a knurled tube (Cant remember...) - currently 2 x AA

Thanks all :)

Ross

MX421

Enlightened
I only know about the Zebra of the G2...

For the Zebralight, i'd get a 16340 battery. I don't know what the voltage range on the H30 is, but I'm sure it can take the slightly higher voltage. The CR123s are 3.0 volts (higher with full charge), whereas any Lithium Ion Battery typically is 3.7 nominal (up to 4.2 volts fully charged). check anyway, my Zebras are more recent models than yours (I love them BTW).

I got some Watson 3.0 volt 16340 (RCR123) batteries awhile back that match the voltage of the CR123s. Unfortunately, they do not have much capacity. Anyway, i double them up for the 2 CR123 lights and they work fine, but again less capacity. Still cheaper than the CR123s though.

I use 16650s with all my unbored lights (Elzetta, Surefire, Leupold) with no problems. They work best when the drop-in is optimized for the single cell voltage. You don't mention what kind of drop-in "upgrade" you have in the Surefire G2, but you might want to research that. Perhaps not though if you are short on money :) I also use 17670 batteries i salvaged out of a Toshiba laptop batterry in my unbored lights and they work well as well.

good luck

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
No problem, there is a wealth of info on here, but as i said BEWARE it will cost you :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The zebra can take a 16340. I have never used a cr123 in mine, 16340 only.