• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Waterproof P60

hwdsndf

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a P60 housing, host or flashlight that is waterproof, ie suitable for diving. I have a P60 drop in that I want to use as a dive/video light.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, haven't been ignoring you. I posted a reply to you in a 9 year old thread by accident.
Anyway, from what I can see on CPF the only way to do it is to make it waterproof yourself. Gonna past my eroneous post here in a sec. The main syumbling block seems to be the switch. I reckon if you used a SF Z41 type tailcap with an Oveready ZeroRez Mounty and sealed it with silicone or whatever it could do the trick.
Onto my purple prose.........

Apparently SF made a 6PN which was certified waterproof to 33 feet until you replaced the cells.
Here's an interesting thread...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?156691-Question-on-Surefire-6PN.
Dunno if regular 6ps have a groove for an extra o ring, but I'd be inclined to experiment with a 6p or a Malkoff MD2 or a Valiant head on an MDC body, they'll all take your P60. Maybe mess with extra, thicker o rings, lube and stuff and immerse them without the drop in.
See what happens the elucidate.
P

Edit: here's another link to a poster that converted a light to do what you want. The rest of thread is ok too...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...60-dive-host&p=3379311&viewfull=1#post3379311
P

Sorry, can't stay away. Not a P60 but it's a lovely light and worth a 5 minute read...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...quaRam-18650-lights-**-Terra-versions-added**

Kestrel

Flashaholic
All 6P's have the second o-ring groove, so adding a second o-ring may be some small improvement.

The weak link is still likely the tailcap boot; with regards to the SF P-series, my only thought are the (unicorns by now) original "6" (?) tailcaps, which are solid with no rubber boot. But Rat6P and Luisma probably own them all by now, lol. ;)

I've never had a 6PN; but from what I know about them, I don't think their waterproofness could be relied upon over extended periods beyond their original production & rating.
Even though I generally prefer SF's overall, I don't really think they are the answer in this case. Perhaps Pelican ? :confused:

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of a P60 housing, host or flashlight that is waterproof, ie suitable for diving.
When you ask for submersible flashlight, you must state for how deep you need it and for salted water (sea) or saltless lake.
Most of dive lights specially for salted water is made of plastic and orings are squized to hold the pressure while water resistance flashlights have orings just rubbing other surface which is enough for weight of water drops.
So any 6P must be heavily modified for this purpose.
Buying dive light will be more economical.

Kestrel said:
All 6P's have the second o-ring groove, so adding a second o-ring may be some small improvement.
That's true. adding even third oring (if possible) will make small improvement but not enough for high pressure 20~30 feet deep water.
BTW, there is only one oring on head side of 6P.
Even
these with 2 orings on head and 2 orings on tail side are not good for diving but just better than single oring.
More over, pressure will push and make it unwanted switch activity on tail. (assuming switch boot is waterproof).
Most dive lights have twist switch and not push on.

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I watched an elzetta video where he disassembled and reassembled the light underwater... wonder how deep he could do that?

hwdsndf

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone. BTW I have been building dive lights for years, what I want to do is use a very bright P60 drop in a waterproof housing to 100 m (which is the standard depth most lights are spec'd for although I am now too old to go anywhere near that deep). I hoped there might be something commercial out there as I well know the pitfalls of modifying a housing to be waterproof. I've done it many times but with bigger housings. I appreciate everyone jumping in. I'm not worried about a switch since I won't be using it (umbilical to battery pack) but I am worried about the front lens and how well the head is sealed. I dive in fresh water.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the "new" Hex heads but here you are better off with them ...

How about adding a ticker (?) lens - like the ones that are an option when ordering from oveready?
+ the metal bezel Ring.
That way there might be possibilities to add o-rings at that end, too.
+ some additional o-rings between bezel and the body part that seems to remain (when i understand you correctly)

Ps: i am no Diver, but any real diving light i have seen so far featured an EXTREMELY tight beam.
Nothing that a p60 insert will give.
If you find blinding yourself, try with a round Disc of (black) adhesive, fingernail sized, put on the middle of the lens, to "cut away" any self blinding spill light

(When that hack works, you could permanently install simular at the inside of the lens)

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or a fivemega D36 body - which usually tend to be from a single, solid body part and just one front opening w. screw on bezel ring

The D36 insert will share the "spill light self blinding problem @ diving" & it's solution
;)

Last edited: