Replacing battery cells in an old battery pack

MichaelWeaser

Newly Enlightened
I was told on another forum to post on here any question I have about batteries . since what i have been told is people on here know a lot about batteries.

I need to replace the NiMh cells in this battery pack. The pack is for an old laptop around 1999 or so. The only thing i know is the battery pack is 7.2V and can have a capacity of 4000 or 4400 MAH, and it has 6 cells. I was thinking by the picture it used AA cells , but if the pack is 7.2 volts the cells would be in series and I'm sure AA NiMh aren't available in 4000 or 4400 MAH , The pack could be 4000 or 4400 mah if the cells where 3 batteries in series and than another 3 in series than in parallel. So I believe they are C cells, but i'm not totally sure since I think the battery pack is too small for C cells but I might be Wrong. Also whatever the pack uses I will need to pick what brand of cells to use , I know what to use if they are indeed AA cells I know to use eneloop batteries but I wouldn't know what to use if they are C cells, I do believe C size eneloop batteries do exist. So if anyone can help me figure out the cell type that pack uses and what brand to use that would be great.
nec--h350ae-6nec_MAIN_1.jpg

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Am certainly no expert on these (there are others here who disassemble older battery packs); but if you're not able to crack it open to get individual cell dimensions, at least getting accurate outside dimensions would be a good first step. Best of luck,

MichaelWeaser

Newly Enlightened
I was told on another forum to post on here any question I have about batteries . since what i have been told is people on here know a lot about batteries.

I need to replace the NiMh cells in this battery pack. The pack is for an old laptop around 1999 or so. The only thing i know is the battery pack is 7.2V and can have a capacity of 4000 or 4400 MAH, and it has 6 cells. I was thinking by the picture it used AA cells , but if the pack is 7.2 volts the cells would be in series and I'm sure AA NiMh aren't available in 4000 or 4400 MAH , The pack could be 4000 or 4400 mah if the cells where 3 batteries in series and than another 3 in series than in parallel. So I believe they are C cells, but i'm not totally sure since I think the battery pack is too small for C cells but I might be Wrong. Also whatever the pack uses I will need to pick what brand of cells to use , I know what to use if they are indeed AA cells I know to use eneloop batteries but I wouldn't know what to use if they are C cells, I do believe C size eneloop batteries do exist. So if anyone can help me figure out the cell type that pack uses and what brand to use that would be great.
nec--h350ae-6nec_MAIN_1.jpg

I was thinking and doing some research it might not use C or AA cells , It might use a smaller version of C cells called Sub-C which is less thick and also they are available in 4400 mah which is the capacity of the pack.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
nimh packs are never wired in parallel at a factory, since it confuses smart chargers.

looking at size and shape it is most likely 7\5 A cell, which is the same size as 18650

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You probably won't be able to use eneloops in this pack unless you can fit 12AAs in it in series/parallel and it is quite possible you have odd C cell sized batteries in it like 4/3C or SubC cells which neither are available in LSD I've looked for years for a subC LSD cell with no luck. One thing that would take some doing is to build an 18650 based battery pack for it as 7.2v nimh is equal to 2 18650s in series so a set of 4 batteries in series/parallel would add up to even more capacity you could use 3000mah cells and make a pack with 6000mah capacity the only problem is you may have to have someone weld the batteries together for you and design a charging system for it but you can buy circuit boards and chargers to suffice.

MichaelWeaser

Newly Enlightened
nimh packs are never wired in parallel at a factory, since it confuses smart chargers.

looking at size and shape it is most likely 7\5 A cell, which is the same size as 18650

I never knew that 18650 cells in Nimh exist , and I can't find them anywhere. But is it possible for the cell size to be Sub-C which are slightly thinner than C batteries. If you send me a link to show me that 18650 cells exist in NiMh that would be great.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I never knew that 18650 cells in Nimh exist , and I can't find them anywhere. But is it possible for the cell size to be Sub-C which are slightly thinner than C batteries. If you send me a link to show me that 18650 cells exist in NiMh that would be great.
Without truly knowing the dimensions it could definitely use A type cells
http://batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/7-5AF-5-4A-4-3AF-4-3A-Size-NiMH-Battery-3700mAh-1250.html
This battery is a 17660 which is close to the size of an 18650.

MichaelWeaser

Newly Enlightened
http://batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/7-5AF-5-4A-4-3AF-4-3A-Size-NiMH-Battery-3700mAh-1250.html

the battery pack was originally 3900 Mah and now you get the cells redone with 4400 mah batteries , I can't find 4400Mah version of those batteries. I need to get the measurements of the pack but I don't have the pack right now since the pack is my friends and i'm doing it for him.

MichaelWeaser

Newly Enlightened

Finally figured out what the cells are , I contacted the original manufacturer of the battery which no longer makes them. They told me they use 4/3A which is also known as 7/5A cells which are almost identical to 18650 cells , on what they have told me.
http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeablecell43a12v3800mah1pc.aspx