Attacking The TN42

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm late to the party but I hope to make up for that. I just got in my TN42 the other day, and I know this will come as no surprise to those of you who own it, but I LOVE THIS LIGHT. It's so big in performance yet feels relatively small in hand. I see soooooo much potential in this light!!! So expect to see something amazing not too long from now. Already making huge strides. I have seen people say this light leaves no room for modders. They are wrong. Dead wrong.

I did have one curious thing happen. When I tested the stock light using my normal setup and standard I got a result quite off from what I see others posting. It seems there is a consensus that it does 700-725Kcd. I got 582 which I'd consider to be inside the spec Thrunite gives. I charged up a second set of high drain batteries and got the same result. Hmm...
So either I have a bum light, all the others testing at 700-725 are calibrated too high, or I am calibrated too low.

Years ago when I nailed down my standard the ANSI approach was not too widespread. I even backed off what I truly felt was the right numbers because I wanted to be conservative. Didn't want to run the chance that I'd ship a light that in actuality performed less than what I said. Seems I may have been too conservative and the lights I have made in the past may indeed be getting an upgrade instantly and for free. Now before you get too excited I need to get to the bottom of it. It could after all just be a bum light. ;)

That said regardless of the light being a dud or not I am making real progress on increasing the throw of this TN42.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is an exciting light; I just read your recent post in the other forum. NW, yours will out throw all others, more lumens from larger die.

I get excited about advances in different classifications of led lights. Keep us posted!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is an exciting light; I just read your recent post in the other forum. NW, yours will out throw all others, more lumens from larger die.

I get excited about advances in different classifications of led lights. Keep us posted!
Just to clarify I am sticking to the same die size. But yes the goal is to increase throw beyond what others are doing without sacrificing lumens or tint.

hahoo

Enlightened
I know I'm late to the party but I hope to make up for that. I just got in my TN42 the other day, and I know this will come as no surprise to those of you who own it, but I LOVE THIS LIGHT. It's so big in performance yet feels relatively small in hand. I see soooooo much potential in this light!!! So expect to see something amazing not too long from now. Already making huge strides. I have seen people say this light leaves no room for modders. They are wrong. Dead wrong.

I did have one curious thing happen. When I tested the stock light using my normal setup and standard I got a result quite off from what I see others posting. It seems there is a consensus that it does 700-725Kcd. I got 582 which I'd consider to be inside the spec Thrunite gives. I charged up a second set of high drain batteries and got the same result. Hmm...
So either I have a bum light, all the others testing at 700-725 are calibrated too high, or I am calibrated too low.

Years ago when I nailed down my standard the ANSI approach was not too widespread. I even backed off what I truly felt was the right numbers because I wanted to be conservative. Didn't want to run the chance that I'd ship a light that in actuality performed less than what I said. Seems I may have been too conservative and the lights I have made in the past may indeed be getting an upgrade instantly and for free. Now before you get too excited I need to get to the bottom of it. It could after all just be a bum light. ;)

That said regardless of the light being a dud or not I am making real progress on increasing the throw of this TN42.

the meters most use, 1330b, dr meter, etc, do read high at higher lux readings
my tn42 vn reads close to 800klux on it, while on a more expensive meter ive got, an extech, it reads almost 80k lux lower at those values
plus lux readings from most folks that do it theirself, is like fuel mileage when you ask folks about their cars, or how big the fish was they caught..
everybody likes to pad things a bit, if you know what i mean;)

are you staying with the xp35hi or something different ?

i know a few folks have went back to xpg2, and the lumens drop to under 1000, just to get another 100k lux throw
waste of time if you ask me
ive got a keychain light that does close to 1000 lumens for petes sake:D

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
the meters most use, 1330b, dr meter, etc, do read high at higher lux readings
my tn42 vn reads close to 800klux on it, while on a more expensive meter ive got, an extech, it reads almost 80k lux lower at those values
plus lux readings from most folks that do it theirself, is like fuel mileage when you ask folks about their cars, or how big the fish was they caught..
everybody likes to pad things a bit, if you know what i mean;)

are you staying with the xp35hi or something different ?

i know a few folks have went back to xpg2, and the lumens drop to under 1000, just to get another 100k lux throw
waste of time if you ask me
ive got a keychain light that does close to 1000 lumens for petes sake:D

Just tested the Surefire UB3T Invictus and got a reading of 35Kcd. Selfbuilt says it does 40Kcd. This is 14.28% above my reading. Not conclusive but one more indication I may be too low.

I have quite a few meters for multiple testing setups. The one I use for official results is an Extech 407026 HD. Then I have two Easyview 30s one of which is NIST traceable. The Certified one I use in my IS and the other one is used for a specific bench test setup. There are a couple other cheap ones I don't use much.

I am am staying with the XHP35. Going to the XPG2 almost seems ridiculous. Not enough gains as you say for what is lost. I'd just go aspheric if I wanted to go max max throw.

hahoo

Enlightened
Just tested the Surefire UB3T Invictus and got a reading of 35Kcd. Selfbuilt says it does 40Kcd. This is 14.28% above my reading. Not conclusive but one more indication I may be too low.

I have quite a few meters for multiple testing setups. The one I use for official results is an Extech 407026 HD. Then I have two Easyview 30s one of which is NIST traceable. The Certified one I use in my IS and the other one is used for a specific bench test setup. There are a couple other cheap ones I don't use much.

I am am staying with the XHP35. Going to the XPG2 almost seems ridiculous. Not enough gains as you say for what is lost. I'd just go aspheric if I wanted to go max max throw.

sounds good, so 1.2 mil cd, and pushing 3000 lumens it is !!
you need to work ot on this one :D

Capolini

Banned
I am sure you will reach your goal Michael.At least 900Kcd w/ the TN42:D

I am pretty confident that your numbers are a bit low. This is why?

I do not have any light measuring equipment. However, I do have Google Earth[for distance] which I trust 100%. This is for a field test. Are my EYES ANSI rated? No. But I can assure you based on one of the analogies that I learned on here there certainly seemed like there was enough light to read a book,,, If I was 60' up in the water tower!

These real life "field tests" are a pretty good indication how far the light will travel.I have done dozens of them. I am fortunate there are a few cell towers[looks like a flag pole] and water towers within 5 miles of where I live. My other Two locations have less light pollution. This one has more. In all Three cases the TARGET is completely dark.

First I was the one who was shining the light and my friend Joe was at the target. He is not a flashaholic but he verified that there was light shed on the tower. I asked him , "Do you think it was enough to read a book?" He said I think so. We switched assignments.I Called Joe up and told him to shine the beam at the tower. From what I saw I believe there was enough illumination to read a book!

Is this test a bit crude? Somewhat.Regardless of that I would bet on it that my light is MORE than 470Kcd.

The light is the TN31mb which you measured @ 470Kcd. That would be 1371m/1499yds. One mile is 1760. The test "Target" was @ 1707yds=610Kcd minus 1 yard

500Kcd/1414m/1546yds
550Kcd/1483m/1621yds
590Kcd/1536m/1679yds
600Kcd/1549m/1694yds
610Kcd/1562m/1708yds.......This is 1 yard further than the tower

My guess is that my TN31mb is between 590Kcd and 610Kcd

I noticed the beam reaching the tower many times when I was on my way back with Capo from my hikes. Last February I brought my friend Joe with me to verify that light was definitely shed on the tower.:thumbsup:

Just for Good measure and certification purposes!

TN31mb_cert.jpg

Google Earth Field test photo.

TN31mb.jpg

Capolini

Banned
I forgot to mention this. I know there are a lot of variables to consider. Measuring distance is a big factor.

Vinh-7.5m
Jmpaul320- 8m
Michael-8m...at least that is what it is was in 2013. It is on my cert. card.
Selfbuilt-10m

Vinh's numbers were always lower than SB's. iirc Justins were a little lower to.

"TEEJ" explains measuring LUX very well in Post #56 of thread below.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403386-V54-Lumen-amp-Lux-Measurements/page2

hahoo

Enlightened
towers that are completely dark ,are far easier to see light on from a flashlight, than towers with light
its harder for the flashlight to overcome a tower that already has ambient light on, than one thats in total darkness,.... common sense really...
go try and shine your light on an object in full daylight, then shine it on the same object when darkness falls..
which scenario makes your light look more powerful?
same principal with a tower at night , no ? ? ? ?
i just always wonder why you talk about your towers being NOT LIT UP..
your thinking backwards :duh2:

heres a good quality meter for less than you will spend on a set of batteries, about 20 bucks

its very easy to check your own lights , rather than rely on somebody elses numbers....

id be interested in seeing your numbers if you get one...

61TKNWmIF4L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you will reach your goal Michael.At least 900Kcd w/ the TN42:D

I am pretty confident that your numbers are a bit low. This is why?

I do not have any light measuring equipment. However, I do have Google Earth[for distance] which I trust 100%. This is for a field test. Are my EYES ANSI rated? No. But I can assure you based on one of the analogies that I learned on here there certainly seemed like there was enough light to read a book,,, If I was 60' up in the water tower!

These real life "field tests" are a pretty good indication how far the light will travel.I have done dozens of them. I am fortunate there are a few cell towers[looks like a flag pole] and water towers within 5 miles of where I live. My other Two locations have less light pollution. This one has more. In all Three cases the TARGET is completely dark.

First I was the one who was shining the light and my friend Joe was at the target. He is not a flashaholic but he verified that there was light shed on the tower. I asked him , "Do you think it was enough to read a book?" He said I think so. We switched assignments.I Called Joe up and told him to shine the beam at the tower. From what I saw I believe there was enough illumination to read a book!

Is this test a bit crude? Somewhat.Regardless of that I would bet on it that my light is MORE than 470Kcd.
I appreciate the anecdote Capo. It is encouraging to hear that the light is looking super powerful by eye. I will have to nail this down by instrumented tests.

i just always wonder why you talk about your towers being NOT LIT UP..
your thinking backwards :duh2:
I think he is just making note of that fact to serve as a baseline. Also it would be easier for the eye to gauge the power of a light without any prior light than with light pollution. Not that I advocate measuring lux with one's eyes. Just if you do, do it in a really dark spot. ;)

Capolini

Banned
@hahoo

Michael explained it well enough.

But...The reason being is, I have seen beam shots posted on here and BLF where the towers were slightly lit up, therefore not giving a true sense of how much light is hitting the tower.

Simple enough? I did not think it was that hard to understand,then again they say no question is a dumb question!

I do NOT think I am thinking backwards,,,My thinking is logical, simple and my reasoning is common sense.

The emoticon[Duh2] you used towards me is a reflection of yourself!

It was totally unnecessary to post that and there was NO PROVOCATION on my part.

Capolini

Banned
I appreciate the anecdote Capo. It is encouraging to hear that the light is looking super powerful by eye. I will have to nail this down by instrumented tests.

I think he is just making note of that fact to serve as a baseline. Also it would be easier for the eye to gauge the power of a light without any prior light than with light pollution. Not that I advocate measuring lux with one's eyes. Just if you do, do it in a really dark spot. ;)

Thanks Michael.

hahoo

Enlightened
i just dont get a man, obsessed with lights, batteries, charger specs, battery specs, etc, etc...... probably has spent several thousand dollars on them, always talking lux numbers for every light known to man..... but wont go out and get a 20 dollar lux meter , and do his own readings:confused:

if you get one cappy
then you can add your name to the list of your heros you posted
then you can say...

Vinh-7.5m
Jmpaul320- 8m
Michael-8m...at least that is what it is was in 2013. It is on my cert. card.
Selfbuilt-10m
cappy - ? _ insert your distance_

all bs aside, you really do need to get a meter
its not hard at all, just get one with the peak hold function
hit the button, walk away to your desired distance, fire your light at it for several seconds to get good reading
walk back and see your results !!

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a smaller LED (Osram Black Flat, approximately 1/6 the die size of the XHP-35 HI) this mod does 1.137.958cd. With some optimization it could probably do a bit more.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be looking forward to your results, saabluster. I have had the TN 42 almost since it came out and I agree that is a great light with really good performance right off the bat. It's good to know that it can be made better yet as well.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it seems like saabluster disappears for periods of time from CPF. I bet he has many irons in the fire that take priority.