200mm x 142mm Headlights in 2017

kro

Newly Enlightened
Hi Candlepower!

I've been a reader for a long time, you've helped me pick flashlights, headlights and shop lights; but now I'm crippled with indecision and I'm hoping for your aid once more:

I've read http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...best-6-quot-x-8-quot-sealed-beam-replacements and http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396183-Help-with-headlight-conversion-specifics among a bunch more threads and information on other corners of the Internet. I have a 1988 Toyota MR2 I'd like to drive at night for pleasure mostly away from traffic (locations, scenery, astrophotography) and I have a couple assumptions coming into this:

- There have been improvements in headlight technology since 1988 which can apply to 200x142mm enclosures.
- There is a small set of "best options" with certain tradeoffs.

I'd like to understand what my absolute best option is: I'm very comfortable with wiring large gauge (12-10) fused battery leads and relays etc. My first priority is my driving safety, where I want to see deer as early as possible (very common in these parts) and defend oncoming drivers' eyes to the greatest degree practicable such that they avoid striking me. I'll drive maybe 2000 miles per year at night and I'd like to stay safe and see everything.

I've read and seen what seem to be pretty good results with Cibie H4 conversions and I'm happy to go down this path with wiring & relays, but I'd like to know if there's something better. LEDs are attractive to me if they are very bright, even and glare-safe. What is the state-of-the-art H6054-styled light maker in 2017? If I can spend some time & bucks and maximize my night safety I would be a very happy camper.

Thank you very much for your time; if the market has not changed since the other couple discussions, sorry for the thread trash :candle:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The best 200mm x 142mm headlamp is the JW Speaker LED unit, which comes in chrome or black. If those are too rich for the budget, then put Cibie H4s with good(!) wiring/relays and carefully-chosen(!) bulbs. Whichever lights you pick, they have to be aimed correctly, best with an optical aiming machine.

kro

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your helpful reply Virgil!

The best 200mm x 142mm headlamp is the JW Speaker LED unit
Cool, I thought these were the best choice based on other posts and current confirmation is great.
If those are too rich for the budget, then put Cibie H4s with good(!) wiring/relays and carefully-chosen(!) bulbs.
I get my wiring from prowireusa.com including stuff like 40 amp Hella relays. I think it's pretty decent stuff (wired my ECU with it), but by all means let me know if you think otherwise!
For bulbs, I think it's kosher to use Philips H4's?
Whichever lights you pick, they have to be
aimed correctly, best with an optical aiming machine.
For sure, aiming is critical. I'll try it myself because that's how I roll but if it doesn't work out textbook I'll take it to the pros. No sense playing with peoples' retinas & lives.

Couple outstanding questions if you're willing to humor me:
- For LED's, are these Truck-Lites a better deal for $100 less than the JWS option? I hadn't seen this thread until this morning while searching more for a better idea of which H4's might be decent.
- Does it complicate/simplify the issue any that my mounting height is so low? Centerline for my enclosure is about 24.5 inches off the ground, and most of the guidance I see for this type of bulb relates to pickups or jeeps.

I think it's just down to choosing H4 or LED like that thread. The cheaper Truck-Lites might swing me LED. Definitely want to make a marked technological leap over the factory style sealed enclosures. $350 is easier to sell the wife on, and I don't think I'd need to refresh the wiring for that remarkably polite 3.6 amp high beam draw, which tickles my lazy-bone...