SOS My 18650 has got a demon!!!

SGH77

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have an AmpMax 3400mAh 18650, it powers my Zebralight SC600 ll.

Both are protected.

The battery died while the torch was on the very low settling (under 10lm), there was no load or heat, no turbo mode, just 2 minutes of low lumen mode.

I put the battery in my Nitecore IntelliCharger i4 and it didnt recognize it.

I checked the battery voltage and it reads 3.24v

I left the battery plugged into the charger overnight to see if it would kick in and start charging... but nope.. nothing.

To attempt to jump start it randomly by putting the battery in the charger the wrong way, knowing the charger has reverse polarity protection, to my amazement it started to show it was charging in the reverse polarity position. (bizarre as the battery is not indicating reverse polarity, 3.24v)

umm help!???

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this is scrap protection failure. Discard it, rewrap the cell and use it with a peace of mind.

I will never understand using a protected cell in a light which does have a perfect protection itself. To increase resistance and add one more failure point into equation?

SGH77

Newly Enlightened
What about touching batteries positives together for a couple of seconds?

SGH77

Newly Enlightened
Im confused that there is 3.24v but nothing coming out of it to power anything (apart from the volt meter), normally "dead" cells or faulty protection is under 1v. Any clues?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
That does sound strange. But in reverse charging the charger sees less internal resistance. Perhaps the charger is sensing too high an internal resistance? But I don't know if chargers measure that.

Hey, suppose the wrapper is on backwards and the terminal markings are reversed? :)

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note to self:

That's the cell that I want to use in my new Zebralight: an AmpMax 3,000,000.

Quality cells are cheap compared to your SC 600 Mk II.

Don't play idiot games.

Chris