AC Outlets With Built In USB Ports

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I looked at them about a year ago and decided that they are not cost effective and probably 5-10 years in the future we may see USB 3.1 or something else and fast charging (QC 3.1) and these won't do none of those. You can buy plug in chargers or even power strips with them in it for as cheap or cheaper than these if the outlets or USB power goes out then you either have USB without AC power or power without USB and have to decide to replace the combo outlet or not.

I would lean more towards something like this
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-6-Outlet-1-200-Joules-General-Use-Surge-Protector-with-USB-Charger/1000101255
which cost the same or less, have more functionality, and can be swapping in/out to other outlets.

Last edited:

Imnotascoolasu

Newly Enlightened
I have the Levitron ones, got a half dozen from Home Depot with our last move, along with the app controlled lutron casseta light switches, yes it'll all be old tech in like 6mo... but it's damn convenient day to day.

Wall adapters work, but they stick out and the couch won't snug up on the wall the same, or they're hanging off the side of the island rather than just the cord into the wall. To each their own.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I've got three installed for some time now. One is an older model with sliding covers over the USB ports. The two newer ones don't have covers and are rated at 2A. I like them just fine.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Experience has shown me that you usually need to charge something when you're not near a socket, or you need to charge several somethings at once (usually overnight,) which a 1-2 port socket cannot do. The battery pack and the USB hub are still the most sensible options..

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Assume they all are going to fail in 5-10 years or less, that if it carries the Leviton name then it is way over priced, and you can only personally put a price on convenience.

Have them in a few places as they are convenient and as another poster noted, neat and out of the way.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOPGREENER 4.8 Amp Ultra High-Speed USB Charger Outlet With 15A TR Duplex Receptacle

I may have narrowed down the choices considerably today. One of my concerns has been that the outlets I have seen until now had a lower current. However, I ran across the article in The Wirecutter had suggests the Topgreener outlet because it offers the highest current available at the USB ports. I might just spring for the 3 pack from New Egg.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wall-outlets-with-usb-charging-ports/

http://www.topgreener.com/topgreener-4-8-amp-usb-charger-outlet.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BTC5I5O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...xG1A8oHMYBqUG9wZNOl44aAsnc8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: TOPGREENER 4.8 Amp Ultra High-Speed USB Charger Outlet With 15A TR Duplex Recepta

I would make sure they are UL rated for sure. The idea of integrated electronics inside of outlets in walls doesn't thrill me if they are unfused in an overload you won't see any smoke or fire till perhaps it is too late.

highbob

Newly Enlightened
Re: TOPGREENER 4.8 Amp Ultra High-Speed USB Charger Outlet With 15A TR Duplex Recepta

I would make sure they are UL rated for sure. The idea of integrated electronics inside of outlets in walls doesn't thrill me if they are unfused in an overload you won't see any smoke or fire till perhaps it is too late.

Hmm, how much do flashlights and chargers draw on these ports? I think your logic is sound, and I tend to agree, but I was wondering if anyone had the numbers handy. BTW, I am no electrician, but I have switched out a couple of outlets and light switches in my years of home ownership. Switches are easy--outlets can be hard. I dunno if I'd wish to go to the trouble of a new outlet just to add the convenience of a couple of USB ports.

Having said that, having the ports built into the outlet itself is very attractive, although I've been happy with a couple of the overlay type outlet covers that increase the number of outlets and add a couple of ports and add surge protection, as well.

highbob

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOPGREENER 4.8 Amp Ultra High-Speed USB Charger Outlet With 15A TR Duplex Recepta

UL-Listed, Two Year Limited Warranty according to their website.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been installing them fir a while now for clients.
Leviton and Legrand only.
Whats not to love?!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Hmm, how much do flashlights and chargers draw on these ports? I think your logic is sound, and I tend to agree, but I was wondering if anyone had the numbers handy. BTW, I am no electrician, but I have switched out a couple of outlets and light switches in my years of home ownership. Switches are easy--outlets can be hard. I dunno if I'd wish to go to the trouble of a new outlet just to add the convenience of a couple of USB ports.

Having said that, having the ports built into the outlet itself is very attractive, although I've been happy with a couple of the overlay type outlet covers that increase the number of outlets and add a couple of ports and add surge protection, as well.

highbob
Switching out outlets isn't that hard if you have the right tools, turn the power off. I've replaced a half dozen outlets when I moved in the house I'm renting they had 2 prong outlets and I put in grounded ones so I didn't have to use adapters on everything.

Almost all of my outlets are buried behind furniture or appliances such that USB ports on them would be worthless. I would rather have them separate myself as way too often they have only 2.1A capacity that is shared between them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have been installing them fir a while now for clients.
Leviton and Legrand only.
Whats not to love?!

I suppose 5 years from now when their gadgets start to require USB 3.1 and fast charging you will gladly replace them and make even more money.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose 5 years from now when their gadgets start to require USB 3.1 and fast charging you will gladly replace them and make even more money.

I provide service as my name clearly says.

I replace outlets in accessible areas only as it makes little sense to do them otherwise obviously.
Desktops,kitchen counters,bedroom charging spots,etc.
Everyone who wants them asks for them because they are handier than external transformers for them and can not be misplaced.

These can be tricky to install too as they are bulkier than normal outlets,metal boxes can be especially challenging.

If you dont see the use for yourself then dont use any but they are nothing but a good idea to those who like them.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We sell 10' and 15' lengths of USB charging cable which would probably make this feasible, I just wouldn't want to have to replace power sockets every few years..

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the down side to these really?

Everyone uses USB to charge,right?

It takes 15 minutes tops to replace an outlet and then you merely need a cable to charge your device,how is this not simpler than plugging in a seperate charger and cable and needing to keep a charger handy all the time anyway?

I have yet to have anyone need different current requirements than these provide and if they do it is another 15 minutes and $20 to change one out.

These are not the Holy Grail of charging for sure but they are so handy it is amazing that anyone would not think so to me?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0X8VFL/?tag=cpf0b6-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8RO7PD/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.micmi.com/product/usb-wall-outlet/

The Sunco Lighting ones on Amazon are 3.1 amp per USB port.

The wording on the MICMI ones is confusing. It states "Wall Outlet 3.1 Amp Charging Capacity" and "3.1A Charging Capability". I will say that a six pack for $49.99, with free shipping, seems like a reasonable deal if the quality is good.

I also noticed that some of reviews are a bit critical, though. I might be somewhat more inclined to buy something like this locally. That way, if there is a quality control issue, I can return or exchange it a bit easier.

Maybe, in time, the price of the ones offered at local brick and mortar stores will come down AND the quality of the ones at on-line retailers will improve.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
JAS, the reviews at the bottom say that if you look at the box it isn't 3.1 per port. From what I hear, in a Type A USB port you aren't allowed to push more than 2.4 amps though it anyways (without breaking the USB standards).

I have and use the Top greener ones because I was looking for the "best USB receptacle" and everything pointed to those. They work very well.