A specific tactical light

toemas

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! Came across this forum while I was doing some research about flashlights when my current one failed on me. I am very new to lights as my previous one was something I bought off ebay thats like $10 and thought it was good enough until a few days ago.

I am a LEO, so a light thats reliable is my top priority. I noticed majority my colleagues have like Nitecores and Surefires but after coming across this forum, I realised theres much more than just lumens haha.

I might get some terms wrong but heres more or less what I am looking for;

- Reliability
- Tailswitch (preferbably with a lever, similar to Nitecore P20 or Klarus XT12. I would need instant access to strobe mode)
- More of a floody light but with a nice mix of throw (200m at least) I dont mind if theres like a core and the surrounding of the light is slightly dimmer
- Different modes (Hi Med Lo and Strobe is important)
- Battery wise I can live with a single 18650 and charging via an external charger is fine

Budget: Anything below 100 is ideal but slightly above that for something better would be fine.

This will be a trickier condition which I am not sure if it is possible. I need the light to last more than 15mins if it is on high mode without overheating or destorying the flashlight itself. Unless the med mode is strong enough to hit at least 200m easily.

Sorry I am still new to this whole flashlight community so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance all!

Oh and Ive actually shortlisted P20 as top for now but Ive not tested it personally. Just saw a colleague of mine using it and seems great. Hopefully there are other alternatives out there.

Cheers
Thomas

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Thomas,

welcome to CPF. Does your department train with Strobe?

If so I can understand your need for it, if not then strobe is only a distraction technique and should only be used when all those involved are familiar with what the next action should be.

I never trained with strobe so I can't recommend such a light. I carried Surefire products for about 20 years of my service. However I'd now carry a Malkoff M91T MD3, 1 hour 25 minutes on High, with the optional High/Low ring it give you more flexibility. Built like a tank, lifetime warranty and they offer LEO discount.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus one on the Malkoff. I have a Malkoff MD2 that I carry on/off duty for sometime now like how easy it is to adjust modes. Just turn the head to get high or low.

I have a Surefire P1R for sale that comes with an 18650 battery, charger, and AC/DC cable for I think $110. However, it's the single output version with only 600 lumens and twist for constant on.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you intend to carry the light on your duty rig, you might also consider a Malkoff Hound Dog XML. This is the gold standard. It's more expensive than the Chinese lights you mentioned and there also is no strobe, but it will cheerfully endure abuse that would destroy a lesser flashlight. It's got a high mode and a low mode, accessible by twisting the head of the light. Great throw, bright spill. It runs on 2x18650's but you could run it on lithium primaries in a pinch. Made in the USA. Lifetime guarantee. What's not to love?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't recommend the Chinese made lights for 'Duty Carry', if strobe is a must then have a look at the Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Building on the Streamlight theme the Strion is built with the same interface as a Stinger but in a smaller platform.

Ten Tap programing allows you to change from a cycle of h/l/strobe to high only or low/high only. 2 quick clicks gets you strobe from any setting including off.

Ten Tap is a process where you half press 9 times quickly and full press/hold the tenth.

I really like Malkoff, Elzetta, PK Design Lab and SureFire, but Streamlights Stinger and Strion are designed with law officers trained with strobe in mind. Their low settings are a higher output than most other lights to ensure a fairly bright (read 50' useable) while preserving battery life.

Last edited:

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Single 18650 with a turbo mode maintained for 15+ minutes at a time means probably 750 lumens or less unless you get an oversized body flashlight for the heatsinking. Some of the older lights before the 1 or 2 minute long 1000+ lumen turbo war started could do that. Fenix tk22 from 2014 or before had 680 lumen turbo that i have had on for 20 minutes and it was warm, but not hot, during vehicle accident scenes. It has ansi throw of a little over 200 yards of a kinda floody throw. Strobe is easy access from any mode on the side button. I dont know where you can get any like that anymore that are new.

Last edited: