What's the best powerful + economical UV flashlights for detecting urine, semen, etc?

passive101

Enlightened
I need one to help my parents find cat and dog urine in their apt. I figure I'll also keep it for myself in case I ever need it with my cat, or if I get really drunk at some point. It could also be used at a hotel before I decide to put my head on a pillow. My google searches come up with the cheap multi LED lights. Maybe those are good for this type of use?

I read that more powerful lights work better when their is still light in the room

Do you really need orange glasses or a shield to view the urine/semen like they do on CSI?

Zak

Enlightened
The Convoy S2+ with Nichia 276A has about 1 watt of radiant flux at 365nm. That should do the trick. Full price is $25, but some of the Chinese sites have sold it for as low as $16. There's another UV Convoy S2+ out there, but you want the one with the Nichia emitter..

You don't need special glasses to see things with it, but reflected UV into your dark-adapted eyes is bad for them and UV-blocking glasses are a good idea to protect your vision. These can be clear.

passive101

Enlightened
I've heard good things about the Convoy S2's before. I found it at Gearbest. The shipping take a little time, but that's alright with me :)

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
Convoy has an official store on Aliexpress, which is a good, reliable place to order but often not the cheapest. I've had some fairly negative experiences ordering from Gearbest and prefer Fasttech and Banggood as Chinese sites go.

Do you already have 18650 batteries and a charger?

passive101

Enlightened
Yup, I already have some 18650 batteries and a charger. A youtube video sent me to gearbest. Maybe i should cancel and try to go to aliexpress

Zak

Enlightened
That's up to you. If you paid with Paypal, your money is safe and you just might end up with a bit of hassle if they screw something up.

passive101

Enlightened
I just paid with my credit card. I used their option to send a message about cancelling the order. I don't want to wait that long and then get the wrong or counterfit part. I did find it on Aliexpress. I didn't know that was a reputable site either, but reviews look better.

Zak

Enlightened
Aliexpress is like Ebay; anybody can sell there and some are better than others. The official Convoy store, Store No.330416 is a reliable place to buy Convoy products.

passive101

Enlightened
I saw reviews of people receiving knockoff products. I'd rather just pay the full $25 and get it from the company :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard good things about the Convoy S2's before. I found it at Gearbest. The shipping take a little time, but that's alright with me :)
congrats on making a buying decision quickly and easily, you done good
dont worry, be happy

while waiting for your light to arrive (my last gearbest order took 3 weeks)
entertain yourself reading about someone else who ordered the same light, from the same place you did, and they are happy about it:)

stickx

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a UV light for the exact same purpose. But I don't have an 18650's and no charger for them. I use Eneloops and CR123's. What would you recommend for those batteries?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a UV light for the exact same purpose. But I don't have an 18650's and no charger for them. I use Eneloops and CR123's. What would you recommend for those batteries?
For cheap and dirty, maybe try a novelty light like the Nitecore Tube UV (search for a thread about it), if you are ok with **** poor performance.. LOL

tube is in a whole different class (not true 365nm, and very low power), but I would be interested to learn your impressions. It won't make the red line on a US $100 show, but its performance might not be too poor for ****. I would not use a Tube UV for scorpions, if the longer range Convoy was available.

try reading the other thread I linked also.. consider a search of 365nm UV, theres 2 or 3 good threads with different lights people have mentioned
I don't recall any UV light that uses AA, but Im no expert
I think for CR123 you might be able to buy an HDS, but thats real money

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I'd suggest picking up an 18650 and a charger. The combination of Sanyo NCR18650GA and Xtar MC1 should cost you about $10 from Illumn.

I've heard good things about the AAA-powered Jetbeam Jet-UV, but it won't have nearly the power the Convoy does.

Stainz

Enlightened
My S2+ shipped from G-B on the 20th - we'll see how long it takes! BTW, while my ubiquitous 21 UV LED, <$8 from Amazon, will cause scorpions, pet urine, dirty public restrooms, and U bearing Vaseline glass to fluoresce - it won't detect the red line in a C-note. My older Inova X5 UV LED light will light up all of them - including the red line. It runs $35 - $40 today and runs quite a while on two 123 Li cells. The quality of this PRC-made X5 is as good as my much older US made visible X5.

I ordered several sets of 21 LED UV and UV-block (yellow) glasses several years ago (~$17 shipped) for Christmas gifts several years ago. The general consensus was disgust at the nasty rest rooms in fast food eateries. THE DOOR KNOBS WERE THE WORST!

ftumch33

Enlightened
I had just recently picked up an Eagtac P200LC2 UV.
It`s a 365nm wavelength in order to see where one of my cats was urinating and I have to say I haven`t been able to get any urine to fluoresce under my lights` UV feline or otherwise.
I have read that the more purple the LED is giving out, the higher wavelength and the less UV it is. Can anyone confirm this?
My Eagtac gives off very little if almost no purple but I am sure it is UV as I`ve tested it with a few items such as a UV ink pen I have.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Eagtac P200LC2 UV. ... It`s a 365nm wavelength
I have read that the more purple the LED is giving out, the higher wavelength and the less UV it is. Can anyone confirm this?
I agree ET claims it is a 365nm LED. Other manufacturers also claim 365nm on lights that actually are not. And yes more purple suggests higher wavelength.

you can do a test to confirm P200LC2 has a true 365nm LED:
it should show the red band on a US $100. like this:
rs4ever said:
Below red florescence on a USD$100 bill with the nitecore CU6
20160608_220048.jpg~original
more info here #35

please post a photo

Last edited:

ftumch33

Enlightened
Maybe you could float a Ben Franklin this way so I could do the test (lol)?
Just kidding (maybe, not really, lol)
All I had around was a $20 and the band came up green.
(can`t post a picture unfortunately)

Tank007torch

Banned
I do not think it is not necessary to use Nichia UV chip to detect pet and dog urine. Many cheap UV chip can do the job.