Recommend new flashlight, overwhelmed by options, short on time

nasal_avenger

Newly Enlightened
My EDC flashlight broke again and I have been putting off buying another one because I am overwhelmed by choice and can't easily get all the details I need from manufacturer's websites. I now have 2 days to buy a new light (won't get into why) and I humbly request some help.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $60.
____Up to $100 if there is nothing close in my price range

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches). AAA size type light, I NEED to be able to fit into dress clothes and skinny jeans. I have another flashlight for deeper/larger pockets.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
Don't care as long as it fits my needs

7) What power source do you want to use?

I prefer to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores. If there is no light that meets my criteria with off-the shelf batteries then I'll go with whatever it needs.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

I want all 3 options (adjustable brightness)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

either, prefer narrow flood

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

This is the least important factor

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival). If I can get this in my price range I prefer this

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I don’t care.

Interface MUST BE ABLE TO START ON HIGH, MOMENTARY ON, WITH ONE HAND. I don't care how. This feature saved me from being mugged once so I am a big believer in it. Other than that I need to be able to turn it to constant on for utility tasks and need at least one lower brightness level for map reading at night and stuff.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don’t care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min) prefer if in my price range

16) Storage conditions

____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other (backpacking, standing around in the cold winter/hot summer, etc.)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Pocket/belt clip

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought was the Eiger from Peak LED Solutions. It has the AAA battery configuration, but can accommodate other power sources. Adjustable brightness, choice of beam tint, and a price point around $50. Best of all, it's USA made and boasts fully potted electronics. Not sure about the time frame, though.

You might consider the Titan Plus from Surefire. It's a bit more spendy, but it's got dual output, runs on AAA, and has the pocket clip. You can pick one up from Amazon in a hurry.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the 1xAAA lights I'm familiar with turn on directly to high. "Tactical" and "AAA" aren't terms usually used together.

However, the Nitecore Tip and Manker Lad both can. They have built-in lithium-ion batteries and recharge via USB, and are in roughly the same size ballpark as a AAA light, with output in the same ballpark as the AAA lights that support 10440 batteries. A size comparison of the Lad with a AAA light is here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-to-the-Tip&p=5037381&viewfull=1#post5037381

For the Lad, you'd have to leave it in high when you turn it off, in which case a long click will turn it on to the last mode used (a short click always turns it on in low). Remembering to always turn it to high when turning it off is the catch.

For the Tip, a long press of the mode button turns it on in high. You don't depend on mode memory, but the catch is if you get confused which button to use, a long press of the on/off button instead of the mode button turns it on in low. Also, there is potential for accidental activation in your pocket due to the raised buttons. The Manker has a recessed button.

Both can be had from Amazon.

archimedes

Flashaholic
You have selected an uncommon combination of criteria, in combination with a limited budget, that makes it rather challenging to find a torch which will completely satisfy all of the listed requirements above.

Since it seems that your top priority is that stated in ALL CAPS, I would suggest that the Peak Eiger with the momentary switch may come closest to what you might like.

It is very tough, reliable, will run on most any AAA sized cell, and with the optional switch it will provide more output (to its maximum) the harder you press on it.

It can also provide (somewhat adjustable) lower output by twisting the bezel. The more the bezel is turned, the greater the output, but control of this is not especially fine-tuneable.

Other choices perhaps worth considering (for one reason or another) might include, the LF2XT (but discontinued, very expensive) .... the ToolVn (but requires IMR 10440 only) .... SureFire Titan Plus (but low-first twisty switch) .... UniVex (but discontinued, expensive) .... MBI HF 10440 with optional momentary switch (but discontinued, expensive, 10440 only, etc, etc)

Anyway, I think you get the idea. And virtually none of these, save perhaps the SF, will you be able to get within 2 days :shrug:

nasal_avenger

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the suggestions so far. You all have given me great suggestions and starting points for further resources. I should have been more clear - I do not need the flashlight in 2 days, I just need to spend the money to order it by then.

The Peak Eiger with optional momentary switch seems to fit my criteria, but I can't tell if it can be switched to "on" to free up both hands. If it can that might be the winner.

The Maratac AAA also seems to meet my needs but I can't tell if it can be set to start on the "high" setting. If it can I'll order that one.
https://countycomm.com/collections/aaa-flashlights

The lumintop tool AAA that the toolVN is based on would be what I want if it started on "high" I think.

Last light I had was an L3 Illumination L11C which I could set to start on high but it broke after a short drop so I didn't order another one. I was planning to order an MBI HF but they have been out of stock for at least a year with no signs they are making more.

Before that I bought some kind of nitecore that almost immediately broke and only works in turbo mode now.

It's frustrating to me that there seem to be dozens of lights for ~$30 that are perfect except they can't start in "high"mode, and I need to spend ~$200 to get something that does.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you for the suggestions so far. You all have given me great suggestions and starting points for further resources. I should have been more clear - I do not need the flashlight in 2 days, I just need to spend the money to order it by then.

The Peak Eiger with optional momentary switch seems to fit my criteria, but I can't tell if it can be switched to "on" to free up both hands. If it can that might be the winner.

Yep, twist to set constant "on" .... That does generally require two hands to do so, however.

It's frustrating to me that there seem to be dozens of lights for ~$30 that are perfect except they can't start in "high"mode, and I need to spend ~$200 to get something that does.

Yes, as mentioned above, most users prefer a tiny pocket flashlight to start on low (if not even moonlight, or firefly) for a variety of reasons

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thought that still isn't quite what you're looking for: The Thrunite Ti5.

Mode sequence is firefly, low, high, *but* it has a forward clicky switch that you can very quickly half press to cycle through to high mode, and at that point you can use it either as momentary or constant on depending whether you full press the switch.

If you cycle through all modes twice, it enters strobe mode before going back to firefly again.

I had one and liked it, except mine had a defective switch. I returned it and haven't decided whether or not to get another yet, only because I've got more AAA lights than I can justify.

The lumintop tool AAA that the toolVN is based on would be what I want if it started on "high" I think.

Last light I had was an L3 Illumination L11C which I could set to start on high but it broke after a short drop so I didn't order another one.

Really? I have an L11C and hadn't come across any indication the mode order could be changed. How does that work?

Unfortunately, it's been discussed elsewhere the L11C does very poorly when dropped. I bought one because I didn't find anything else in the price range with a Nichia emitter and firefly mode, but I treat it carefully as result.

Yep. You're describing tactical use, but most people who want tactical lights also seem to prioritize output over size - or maybe even prefer larger lights for better grip.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, since you indicated the L11c might have been under consideration, maybe the Eagletac D25A Clicky will work for you. It's less than 1mm larger in diameter than the L11C, and 9mm shorter in length.

My understanding of their interface is that with the head loosened, it cycles through low, medium, high. With the head loosened, it is limited to turbo and strobe.

It is a reverse clicky. It sounds like your lean more towards forward clickies.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thought that still isn't quite what you're looking for: The Thrunite Ti5.

Mode sequence is firefly, low, high, *but* it has a forward clicky switch that you can very quickly half press to cycle through to high mode, and at that point you can use it either as momentary or constant on depending whether you full press the switch.

If you were inclined to take this route, it would save you quite a bit of money. I have the Thrunite T10, which is only slightly larger and uses one AA. I don't particularly like scrolling through modes, but it has a mode memory. If you want the light to come on in high mode, all you have to do is turn it off in high mode. Diminutive little thing. Cost me about $20.

The Peak Eiger is, however, built to a much higher standard.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the Nitecore Tip and Manker Lad both can.

As long as I mentioned it, I happened to glance at an email from GoingGear (the sort almost every online retailer spams you with if you ever order from them) today and notice that last year's model of the Tip is on sale for Memorial Day for $20 or $22 depending whether you want the regular or high CRI version

http://goinggear.com/nitecore-tip-360-lumen-rechargeable-cree-xp-g2-s3-led-keychain-flashlight.html
http://goinggear.com/nitecore-tip-c...able-nichia-219b-led-keychain-flashlight.html

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gonna throw a solid suggestion that is cheap enough to try. I use one often and love it. Get the Nichia if you want a Warmer led tint. It can be bought for under $25.
[h=1]LUMINTOP IY365[/h]

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Factor Equipment Mizpah 130 uses 1AAA, has a L,M,H,Strobe mode sequence and REMEMBERS LAST MODE - CAN START IN HIGH OR STROBE!

The high output is 130 lumens for about 30 minutes.

The low is low enough and floody enough to read by without blinding yourself.

Reverse clicky activation

Waterproof to IPX8.

The best reversible clip I've ever encountered on any light - will fit on thicker brimmed hats. Both the lamp body and clip are black, so the clip blends in with darker clothes for more dressy situations, if you don't have it down in your pocket.

Reasonably mouth friendly for hands free use.

Appears to be a very good match to your listed requirements. I ordered mine directly from Factor Equipment.

Last edited:

sbslider

Enlightened
May not exactly fit your criteria, but pretty close. Manker E02 just came out. it has an electronic switch, so it is not a momentary on, but a double click to turbo mode of 200+ lumens for 3 minutes, then it ramps down to about 70. Double click again and you go back to 200 lumens. If you want to just push and go, I don't have any new suggestions. Definitely one hand operation though. available on ebay, hkequpment, and the manker website. I assume all shipping from china, so you won't get it immediately.

nasal_avenger

Newly Enlightened
My peak eiger with momentary switch arrived in the mail over the weekend. Fits my needs well although it could use a pocket clip. I appreciate everyone's suggestions - really helpedme cut through the chaff. iamlucky13 I wasn't clear; the L11C could not be "set" to always start on high but I would scroll through every mode before putting it back in my pocket so the next time I used it it would start on high. Not ideal since I only got one momentary flash out of it before it switched modes. That combined with breaking so easily and a bad warranty means they came off the list.

I might order the Eagletac even though I got the eiger already - it also seems to fit my criteria extremely well.

Once again thank you everyone for taking the time to help me.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
iamlucky13 I wasn't clear; the L11C could not be "set" to always start on high but I would scroll through every mode before putting it back in my pocket so the next time I used it it would start on high. Not ideal since I only got one momentary flash out of it before it switched modes. That combined with breaking so easily and a bad warranty means they came off the list.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

It's too bad it has a fragile reputation. I like mine - high CRI Nichia emitter and a perfect mode spacing for my uses. I would be happy to recommend it to others, but the number of users who have reported theirs dying from a small drop means I can only do so conditionally.

Enjoy the Eiger. I've never tried a QTC light - it seems very interesting.