Interest Thread: Titanium 219c 14500 Pocket Rocket

Aepoc

Enlightened
I've made a few of these for local flashlight enthusiasts and I'm wondering if there's any interest on the forums...

RAZorKt.jpg

tNkbYgC.jpg

Specifications:

Grade 2 Titanium body
Copper (C145) heat sink
Nichia 219C D280 5000K
FET Driver with 4 brightness levels including moonlight mode
requires 1 x 14500 cell
McClicky switch
LEDiL Tina optic (10 degree viewing angle)
AR Lens
silicone o-rings

Assuming there's interest, I will be offering anodized and tritium versions of this light and would be willing to customize anything as long as its within my capabilities.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Aepoc

Enlightened
I was thinking I could make it happen around the $200-$250 price point, depending on options.

I intended on adding pocket clips originally but I like how simple the polished titanium looks. What clip would look best on this light... McGizmo?

Also, what should I call it?

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
mk2rocco: all of the BOSS clips that I've seen are stainless... do you know if anybody makes a titanium version?

They are all SS but have really good retention. The BOSS clips are the same pattern as McGizmo so a bunch of different clips would be compatible.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Yeah I remember reading that people were having issues with those clips bending. I wonder what alloy they are made of.

Gunga, I want you to know that you were somewhat of an inspiration for this light. Almost a year ago now we discussed some issues that you had with another 14500 light... I found that I had those same issues and this is my response to that. Thank you for planting that seed in my head.

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow! Really cool. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to chat about any aspects of this. If you get your hands on a ReyLight ti lan driver it's a pretty nice boost driver. Uses 9KHz for the max 3 modes. Works with AA or 14500 (max 3-400 lumens). 14mm or so.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Update: I'm getting closer to posting a sales thread for those that are interested. I put a McGizmo clip on one of them but I'm not sure it goes with the minimalist design:

zy5kAxN.jpg

I built one with a Nichia 219C 4000k 90+ CRI and I love the color. The output on high (based on Nichia's paperwork) should be around 1000 lumens. I believe this is the LED I will be using from now on.

I tried several different ways of installing tritium in the optic and wasn't pleased with the results. The trit is barely visible unless installed in the center of the optic which ruins the spot. I've got a new plan for installing vials in the tail but this project is on hold for now.

I still don't have a name...

Any input is greatly appreciated.