Led diffusion materials

LightSolutions

Newly Enlightened
Hi I read through some old forum threads and found a few ideas... though most of them were for outdated products that no longer exist or some sort of "proprietary light diffusion materials" because that is a thing in nature. I also found a few interesting simple DIY ideas like using scotch tape or roughing up the glass or using a bit of acrylic. They all have some merit but none of them really works for what I'm interested in.

What is that? A material that can be placed in direct contact with, adhered/bonded to the diode itself, or within about a millimeter of a high watt LED running 100+ watts which will completely hide the light source and diffuse the light over a wide angle while reducing the throw and actual luminance by as little as possible.

Any ideas?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Your post has been approved, but thread moved from "LED Flashlights" to "LED" subforum (as your topic more specifically is addressing the emitter proper)

Welcome !

archimedes

Flashaholic
Also, OP, you will need to have your first few posts approved by a Mod before you have full posting privileges.

Please be patient, and do not start duplicate threads in multiple subforums here

That generates extra work for the mods, and just slows down the whole process. Thank you for your understanding

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Hi I read through some old forum threads and found a few ideas... though most of them were for outdated products that no longer exist or some sort of "proprietary light diffusion materials" because that is a thing in nature. I also found a few interesting simple DIY ideas like using scotch tape or roughing up the glass or using a bit of acrylic. They all have some merit but none of them really works for what I'm interested in.

What is that? A material that can be placed in direct contact with, adhered/bonded to the diode itself, or within about a millimeter of a high watt LED running 100+ watts which will completely hide the light source and diffuse the light over a wide angle while reducing the throw and actual luminance by as little as possible.

Any ideas?

If you think very closely about what you are asking for and what "diffusion" is ... think of the optical path the light must take, then you will realize a simple optical film cannot do what you require.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think very closely about what you are asking for and what "diffusion" is ... think of the optical path the light must take, then you will realize a simple optical film cannot do what you require.

Too vague, ssa. You probably know more about photography than we. Optical film, means what,exactly? My guess too, is that op is skipping the glass, and rather needs a high melting point.

Materials for diffusion,with zero target light loss , is every bit as important as led efficiency. I hate lamp shades: hate light loss. I have sometimes wondered why this material aspect of efficiency isn't discussed more,and in more detail. Even if the perfect diffusion material is thoroughly understood, why not shared or implemented. Lamp shade efficiency is far from regulatory brains too.

Maybe all diffusion materials have huge losses. Only solution,then, is a diffuse led source with low surface luminance (so, looking toward light doesn't temporarily blind). The exact opposite of one's gut desire.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I wonder if anyone has thought of using an additional thermal path to suck heat from the front of the led by placing 99.9 % translucent anti reflective glass touching the front of the led. Other options might be a high heat transmission gas inside light. Or a fan to cool front as well as back. In some circumstances, vent to encourage a chimney effect. I am thinking 100 watt class chips. Though, the heat transferring gas would work in a flashlight. Is it a noble gas that was patented for the filament led? ( I am not suggesting getting rid of heat sinking the rear of the led-rather, augmentation.) I have seen high heat transferring plastics.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only other thought: a reflector free led, to me, is already pure flood at 120 degrees. It is the blinding effect that remains. You would need to diffuse the light over a few foot square (maybe less) to get some acceptable surface brightness. I don't see this happening with any thing in contact with the led. Lossless or little loss. Really, need a material expert. Or engineer armed with a chart of materials light and heat transferrance.

Latest posts