Astrolux SS XHP50.2

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this was fun.

a0IPoPv.jpg

Results are wonderful. A very wide big hotspot and bright spill with a nice amount of reach. Reminiscent of the TN35 beam pattern, nice balance of throw and flood. Tint is a beautiful warm with a slight bias towards yellow but not obnoxiously so.

Had some issues with shorting and actually vented an 18350 (first vent ever). Discovered a tiny blob of solder poking out from under the emitter (thanks fasttech). Removed and it solved the issues for a bit then it shorted again. I gave up and just covered everything in kapton tape and we're in business!

Wait, modes are stuck on moonlight, wtf. Gave up and put it down for a couple days. Was playing around with it tonight and noticed that if I break contact of both + and - then immediately reestablish, modes are changing. Well hummmmm lighted tailcap! [emoji362]went and got my S41 tailcap to test, it fits and works! Oring wasn't covered though so I just swapped the switch boards and now my S41 has a lighted switch and I have an awesome XHP50.2 light!

KCGTccz.jpg

Current at the tail on high is about 21.6 Watts, conservatively. Dunno exactly how many lumens that translates to, maybe about 2000? If anyone knows what it would be for this newer XHP50.2 I'd appreciate it. Heatsink get hot really quickly but that's part of the fun!

Beamshots:

Night is foggy and rainy, all the better to test visibility with this warm tint

This is 2% but might as well be used as the control:
zZ7UPCo.jpg

50%
3LwWRSI.jpg

100%
MTsygkA.jpg

Sorry for the lack of focus, the rain was messing up my super fancy iphone camera

Whoops time to pack up before someone calls the cops!

The throw is great but I love how wide and useable the hot spot is.

I'm debating doing another with MTG2, this stuff is addictive :)

Last edited: