Night time dog walking

Yarrago

Newly Enlightened
We are looking for a torch for walking the dogs at night time. The basic requirement is something that is bright so that we can watch where we are walking but that has a reasonable amount of fill and runs well of the Eneloops that we already have.

There are so many options and there is so much poor manufacture information out there that it really makes it hard to get started and so some good options would be really helpful for us. (Thank you for spending your time to help us out, we really felt that we were just going around in circles online trying to get a good range of options to select from).

I've filled out the questionnaire for more information.

Thanks for helping us out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
X Any. Location Australia (view postage as just part of the cost, so $50 + $10 postage is the same as $30 + $30 postage).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
X Up to US$60

3) Format:
X I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
X Handheld (not super small).

5) Emitter/Light source:
X LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
X I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
X I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

We have a bunch of Eneloops (both AA and AAA) so if we could use those would make things much more convenient (always have some on hand ready to just go).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
X See above.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
X I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
If it could do this as well (on second setting that would be a bonus): X I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
X Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
X Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
X 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
X 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
Longer is better

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
X Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
X I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
(This is a nice to have not essential)

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
X I don't mind.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
X I don't mind.

15) Water resistance
X None needed

16) Storage conditions
X In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
X None.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Hiya.

Id highly recommend the nitecore ea45s. Runs on 4xaa, great runtimes on all modes. One of the best throwers of all AA powered lights. Simple UI, battery indicator. Just a decent specced light for the money.

DRAWs

Newly Enlightened
i recommend the Olight S2A Baton if you like 2AA flashlight. but if you like 4AA flashlight, then id recommend The Nitecore EA45S for the great runtimes, and throw

dmattaponi

Enlightened
We use a TN4A at our house for the purpose, and it serves the purpose very well. It would seem to meet your criteria.