2017 Tacoma Headlights - how do they stack up?

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,

I did a search (found this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...yota-Spies&highlight=toyota+tacoma+headlights and it didnt have the info I wanted) and didn't see this topic covered.

I am very seriously looking at a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport to replace my ultra-lemony Verano Turbo. Wondering if our resident experts know how its headlight performance stacks up.

As an idea of where I am coming from, I found the 14 Verano headlights to have a sort of meh low beam (halogen projector) but good high beam performance (halogen reflector). I did the H9 swap Virgil recommended at the time.

One thing I like from a design perspective is that the TRD Sport comes with projector low beams and reflector high beams, which is a setup I am familiar with. All of my cars have had quad lamps. The previous gen had a single reflector with dual filament bulb. I've always preferred these functions being separate.

Thanks in advance!

jzchen

Enlightened
The iihs.org website now incorporates some sort of headlight testing into their safety ratings as well, although not sure if their methodology is praised here....

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The IIHS tests do not measure what they claim to measure. This has been covered on this board in detail, and it's not a matter of their methods "not being praised". See previous discussion here.

The '17 Tacoma uses reasonably efficient H11 projectors for low beam, and reasonably efficient H9 reflectors for high beam. If they're aimed correctly, they should serve you reasonably well.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Virgil, thats great news. As I did with the Verano, I will ensure they aim the lamps at the dealership prior to taking delivery (whatever I buy).

Follow up question, Toyota offers LED Foglights from RIGID Industries as a factory item. I know that fog lights should basically never be used, but I've been in situations here and there where proper foglights would come in handy; slow speed, trying to illuminate the edge of the road), and I'm sure I will be again. Prairie and mountain winters and off the beaten path job sites.

I don't know what model number from Rigid these correspond to, but I found these Toyota parts numbers. PT228-35170-AA and AB.

Would these, in your opinion, be worth having as a dealer option?

Last edited:

KXA

Newly Enlightened
Follow up question, Toyota offers LED Foglights from RIGID Industries as a factory item.

I don't know what model number from Rigid these correspond to, but I found these Toyota parts numbers. PT228-35170-AA and AB.

Would these, in your opinion, be worth having as a dealer option?

Why would you want high kelvin, low CRI in a fog light? Lower kelvin (warmer) colors work best in the 'soup'.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
@ KXA, those are good points, which is why I asked the question. The TRD Sport comes with foglights regardless, so if they are going to be there anyways and there are two choices, I'd prefer the better, and am willing to spend the money if the optional item is the better.

As an example, maybe the LED ones have worse color but a more usable beam pattern than the halogens. I don't know the trade off.

KXA

Newly Enlightened
@ KXA, those are good points, which is why I asked the question. The TRD Sport comes with foglights regardless, so if they are going to be there anyways and there are two choices, I'd prefer the better, and am willing to spend the money if the optional item is the better.

As an example, maybe the LED ones have worse color but a more usable beam pattern than the halogens. I don't know the trade off.

Dave, if it were me, I'd stick with the halogens and find a way to make them selective yellow, using one of the methods that has been described here on this forum.

Magio

Enlightened
Beam pattern matters far more than CCT. No one here seems to have had any experience with these LED foglights, possibly because they are so new. Your best bet would probably be to go for a test drive late in the evening, if possible, with one truck with halogen foglights and another with LED foglights and see which one produces the more useful beam pattern. Just in the very super duper limited experience I have had, and from the Toyota vehicles I have seen on the road, it seems a lot of Toyota's halogen foglights don't offer a wide beam (one of the major criteria for good fog lights) while also having poor glare control. Maybe their LED foglights are better than that.

Last edited:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Those Rigid Industries LED fog lights are very expensive. You can use Lexus or Prius LED fog light. They are interchangeable and plug and play and cheaper. I have the Lexus LED fog light on my 2014 Corolla to compliment the LED headlights and they look good and way brighter.

http://www.ebay.com/іtm/WHITE-LED-F...ash=item36132f7b39:g:PAwAAOSwOgdYrrmH&vxp=mtr This one is cheaper than the Lexus/Prius LED fog light but they are genuine.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oh, come on. Genuine? No, those things you linked on eBay practically scream "I AM COUNTERFEIT JUNK!" in five-part harmony.

And fog lamps are not to "compliment" headlamps. That's just not what they're for.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one is cheaper than the Lexus/Prius LED fog light but they are genuine.
Genuine? The part number looks entirely too non-Toyota to be genuine. Coupled with the low price, it's not a given they're genuine.

My fog lamps don't compliment my headlamps but once they wolf-whistled at my girlfriend.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My fog lamps don't compliment my headlamps but once they wolf-whistled at my girlfriend.

LOL!

(In all seriousness: these fog lamps ship from Thailand, and the auction also says that's where they're made. Maybe these fog lamps are genuinely what Toyota installs on Thai-market Corollas...or maybe not!)

Last edited: