Backup light for a miner?

entoptics

Enlightened
My buddy is a mining geologist, and wants a good backup light for emergency situations. He's not a flashaholic, but he's familiar with nice lights, so it doesn't need to be a really simple UI. The light will be carried always, and used rarely, as he's already got a good EDC and headlamp (one is none, and two is one philosophy).

1) Small form factor, probably 1xAA or CR123, but 2xCR123 or a really compact 18650 would maybe be OK. Ability to run on rechargeable Li-ion a plus, but not essential.

2) Throw not important, and he wants runtime over brightness. I've been underground a fair amount, so I'm guessing something with 3 modes of ~5, ~50, and ~150 lumens would be perfect. Brighter and dimmer modes would be fine as extras, but I'm guessing he'd consider 100 lumens with a billion hour runtime to be ideal.

3) Durable and reliable.

4) ≤ $80

I was thinking something like the Zebralight SC52, but I haven't kept up on the best and brightest lately, so your suggestions would be great.

Connor

Enlightened
Look into Zebralights. SC600Fd III Plus if a pure flooder is OK. Many levels and runtime > 2 weeks @ ~3 lumens.
Zebralights are well known for their highly efficient drivers.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I don't own one but from everything I've read I second zebralight for their durability and efficiency.
If he wants AA the SC5 and the MkII are the successors to the SC52 and they're both still available.

sgt253

Enlightened
I would suggest looking at lights rated for environments like the one you describe. Pelican, Streamlight, etc...

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the initial post, it does not sound like a hazardous environment flashlight is necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm. Zebralight does give excellent choices for intensity and offers good choices for an area light. Definitely go for an 18650 sized battery model if emergency long runtime is preferred. Do you know what sized batteries are being used in his other carry flashlights?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to be hard to get any kind of long run times from a single cell light, whether it is AA or CR123/16350. Look at the Nitecore EA41. Four AA cells in a pop can sized light. 120 lumens for 12 hours, 40 lumens for 30 hours, and one lumen for 400 hours. It is actually small enough to fit inside a toilet paper tube, so shouldn't get in the way on his belt or harness. It is available in both cool white and neutral white versions. BJ lists it for $70, but you might be able to find it cheaper, especially if you can find a discount code.

Nitecore and Streamlight both make several two AA lights that would not have the run time of the EA41, but would be smaller lights.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imalent hr20. Duct tape electronics until needed for adjustment, as the ixp rating is suspect. Other than this, the design can't be touched by zebra, imho. I wear on belt, get hosed often,only tested in rain twice. I was tempted to shower with it on tonight. I wasn't sure of my motive,so I thought better of it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some general thoughts on this. Killer run times are all good. If the battery is up to the task.
So.... if it is for Emergency use only: I would also suggest a light that has physical lock out. That way the battery is always fresh to go. I would also use Lithium Primary CellsI. For example, if it is a AA format, I would likely run Energizer Lithium cells. CR123 format? I would use Surefire or Duracell cells.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I'm a geo but in exploration rather than mining, I've done some underground stuff, mostly in a disused mine that had no power, no refuges, very few reflective signs etc.

Look into Zebralights. SC600Fd III Plus if a pure flooder is OK. Many levels and runtime > 2 weeks @ ~3 lumens.
Zebralights are well known for their highly efficient drivers.

I would advise against a pure flooder, if the rock isn't dark, the filth on the walls is - floody lumens seem to disappear meaning you have to use a much higher setting, thus draining the battery. Likewise, million-hour runtimes on 0.001 lumens will result in you falling into an ore pass or having your face gouged by wire hanging from the roof etc.

I used a ZL H600w as a primary headlamp on the 65 or 150 lumen setting depending on the size of the stope and/or the geology and a xeno G42 as a handheld spotlight at c.700lm to spot any dodgey bits before I got too close. Also carried a convoy 365nm UV lamp for my own amusement which doubled as a cell carrier. At the end of each 8h day, the zebralight was on c.65%, Xeno was on 50% and the UV light on 85%+.

Either go with a single cell lithium AA or CR123 or (if your friends lights run on single 18650's) a single 18650 light to use as a 'light up' cell carrier.

For headlamp ideas, check out this list of headlamps that have been deemed good enough for caving.

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks for the good suggestions all. I'll investigate, and get back.

The light doesn't need to be "hazardous" rated, as the mine is fully operational and "OSHA approved". He wants the light as a backup to his backup, and/or to loan to someone else in a pinch. That's why small size is important, since it's something he'll have to carry all the time, but rarely use.

I agree with the "lockout" and "primary lithium battery" comments, and have passed that on to him (he agrees too). Versatility in battery choice is more for future applications, like if he takes it camping, or gets another light down the road that he likes better for this duty. It's therefore not a deal breaker, but a nice option.

Keep the suggestions coming.