Icarus driver mode customization - who's done it?

candleflana

Newly Enlightened
I have two Alphas, one with the new driver, one with the old driver.

Before I get the old one updated, I want to see about customizing settings on my one with the Icarus.

Anyone adjusted their settings and found those that they truly appreciate more than the ones set from the factory (Jason, that is)?

Here is the link to the mode adjustment instructions: http://darksucks.com/Images/Sale/Components/Icarus Instructions Print REV2.pdf

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i sent out my blue label a while back to get an LED and driver upgrade. i programmed mine to be 2 modes. low (maybe around 15%) and high (around 50%), with double click access to 100% output. i have 4 alphas in all, i wouldnt mind getting my other 3 updated in the future, but not until i think its worth also updating the LED. one in particular has been a daily EDC for the better part of 4 years (copper 18350 with S6 bin HCRI XM-L2), unfortunatly in 4 years, cree has only gone one bin higher in their HCRI XM-L2 leds (current top bin is now T2 bin for HCRI). the only advancements in LED's these days is that they just keep getting bigger, not better.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this not a H17f with Lucidrv?
close. i believe the biggest difference is that the H17f driver uses FET for direct drive on the highest mode and 7135 chips for the lower modes. the icarus has a max of 3.4 amps using 7135 chips only. same creator though.

candleflana

Newly Enlightened
i sent out my blue label a while back to get an LED and driver upgrade. i programmed mine to be 2 modes. low (maybe around 15%) and high (around 50%), with double click access to 100% output. i have 4 alphas in all, i wouldnt mind getting my other 3 updated in the future, but not until i think its worth also updating the LED. one in particular has been a daily EDC for the better part of 4 years (copper 18350 with S6 bin HCRI XM-L2), unfortunatly in 4 years, cree has only gone one bin higher in their HCRI XM-L2 leds (current top bin is now T2 bin for HCRI). the only advancements in LED's these days is that they just keep getting bigger, not better.

Define "better" please. Perhaps lower power consumption per output level?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Alphas, one with the new driver, one with the old driver.

Before I get the old one updated, I want to see about customizing settings on my one with the Icarus.

Anyone adjusted their settings and found those that they truly appreciate more than the ones set from the factory (Jason, that is)?

Here is the link to the mode adjustment instructions: http://darksucks.com/Images/Sale/Components/Icarus Instructions Print REV2.pdf
Yes. I really like having Fire Fly mode.

I just had the Pleasure of putting the Alpha Triple Nichia 219b up against a Custom XM-L2 Neutral. What environment do mostly use your setup in? I noticed You are using the shorty, so did I. The Nichia 219b Triple blew away the Cree at anything at less than 100'. I hope to be able to schedule some beam shots later this fall.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had the Pleasure of putting the Alpha Triple Nichia 219b up against a Custom XM-L2 Neutral. What environment do mostly use your setup in? I noticed You are using the shorty, so did I. The Nichia 219b Triple blew away the Cree at anything at less than 100'. I hope to be able to schedule some beam shots later this fall.

man, a carbon fiber alpha went up for sale a few days ago, had i not just recently bought a copper oveready BOSS i would have been all over that! the light i had upgraded was a regular sized blue label light. its just a general use indoor/outdoor light. i believe i like my low modes set higher than most simply because i like having a low mode that can at least be seen if there is ambient light. i dont read in the dark and i already have a moonlight capable light that is permanently located on my night stand.
my shorty was a bespoke copper model that jason made. at the time (again, over 4 years ago) i had a driver programmed to my liking and sent to jason. this was before sites like MTN electronics would program your driver for you and what not. i had to have it sent to frank to be programmed; then sent to jason. the TIR is also different than the ones jason uses. this TIR was designed for the XM-L2 (jason's were designed for the MC-E). again, this was over 4 years ago so he may be using a different TIR now. the optic gives it a nice defined hotspot and spill. i got 4 different prometheus lights and all 4 have different beam profiles.
1- copper shorty with XM-L TIR with HCRI XM-L2. i would like to upgrade this with the icarus sometime.
2- full sized copper with MC-E optic with cool XM-L. actually wouldn't mind getting this one changed to a warm MC-E and keep the TIR
3- standard RM with neutral MC-E and boom reflector
4- blue label with neutral XP-L HI and boom reflector (this is the only one with an icarus driver)
they all get used although the RM mainly takes up its residency in my wife's purse

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, a carbon fiber alpha went up for sale a few days ago, had i not just recently bought a copper oveready BOSS i would have been all over that! the light i had upgraded was a regular sized blue label light. its just a general use indoor/outdoor light. i believe i like my low modes set higher than most simply because i like having a low mode that can at least be seen if there is ambient light. i dont read in the dark and i already have a moonlight capable light that is permanently located on my night stand.
my shorty was a bespoke copper model that jason made. at the time (again, over 4 years ago) i had a driver programmed to my liking and sent to jason. this was before sites like MTN electronics would program your driver for you and what not. i had to have it sent to frank to be programmed; then sent to jason. the TIR is also different than the ones jason uses. this TIR was designed for the XM-L2 (jason's were designed for the MC-E). again, this was over 4 years ago so he may be using a different TIR now. the optic gives it a nice defined hotspot and spill. i got 4 different prometheus lights and all 4 have different beam profiles.
1- copper shorty with XM-L TIR with HCRI XM-L2. i would like to upgrade this with the icarus sometime.
2- full sized copper with MC-E optic with cool XM-L. actually wouldn't mind getting this one changed to a warm MC-E and keep the TIR
3- standard RM with neutral MC-E and boom reflector
4- blue label with neutral XP-L HI and boom reflector (this is the only one with an icarus driver)
they all get used although the RM mainly takes up its residency in my wife's purse
Wow, You have some custom setups going on. Congrats!
Without me having my pictures, i'm at at loss here, but I will try.
The TIR You have for your HCRI XM-L2 gives you the beam profile you like.

Switching that driver to the Icarus will only give You a slight increase from ~2.9A - ~3.4A in drive current,
and without actually testing it would be hard to say what the actual gains if any will be. Cree only lists test
current figures up to 2A in their current LED spec sheets with the minimum luminous flux of only 485 lm.

I would say that even with the introduction of a higher flux the gains are marginal. The XM-L2 LED Package
is capable of almost double the output S6 flux, U3 flux. So in effect You are waiting for a new LED package
to be developed. They make them, test them, they bin them, and have no control over the chromaticity or
luminosity to make the "Ones" we really want to use. It's difficult to notice increases of 40 or 50 lumens of
output with each step up in flux. You need to jump at least 2-3 Flux levels for that "POP" that's sought after.

I love the Tint of the Nichia 219b in the Triple TIR optic that Jason used in the Carbon Fiber Alpha. I thought
that perhaps rather waiting for LED technology to catch up to your One LED setup to give You the higher
output, may be ask Jason about that triple setup. This TIR optic is compatible with several LED choices.

This would allow You to get the Exact precise tint you want, the preferred beam profile You have now, not
worrying about LED/Reflector matching, the increased output of newer LED technologies that have not
been made yet, and of course update to the new Icarus Driver. Rather than getting that new scorching light
saber LED, get 3 really good ones that You can drive at lower safer levels.

Just a thought I had. I noticed You have good working knowledge LED and reflector combinations to get the
beam profile You desire. I have an XM-L2 with Boom. I am assembling a beam shot record and would like to
record some of your LED/Reflector setups, they are unique.