looking for 2xAA or 2xC LED flashlight

2cv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks in advance for suggestions!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
__x__Up to $25.

3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
8" would be the sweet spot for me
__x__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
__x__MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
NA
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
somewhere in this range for my yard, park, campsite
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
not sure about this, but these 2 sound good!
__x__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__x__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_x___ 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x___ 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

__x__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
__x__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
prefer but not critical
__x__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
__x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__x__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__x__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
15) Water resistance
__x__None needed

16) Storage conditions
__x__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
NA

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The above mentioned Mini Mags & ML25 are all great - my favorite is the MM Pro Plus because it has a low mode which I use a lot.

Another suggestion would be the 2AA Rayovac Indestructible from Home Depot.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
+3 on the ML25.Simple single level with consistent regulated output. I usually run mine on AAs with battery adapters and eneloops work fine. NiMH C cells would probably pair nicely if you wanted to make the investment or already have the larger cells. Don't let the modest numbers fool you output is better than what you might expect and the large reflector will throw further than AA versions.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd have to stretch your budget a bit to $30, but I recommend considering the Thrunite Archer 2A.

I have the 1A version of this light and am very happy with it. The 2A is very similar but with a brighter high mode - and obviously longer to fit the second battery.

You use the rear switch to turn it on, and an electronic button on the side to switch between the 4 modes, including an ultra-dim firefly mode for fully dark adapted eyes. It has mode memory so it doesn't simply start on firefly every time.

It does not have a focusing head like the Maglite. It has a relatively wide hot spot. The Maglite will beat it for long distance throw, but the Archer will do very well at close to medium ranges, especially with the versatility of its multiple modes and the wide area it can light up.

2cv

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the suggestions. I looked at them all, but when I was at costco I found in-store:

Duracell 2-pack LED 700 Lumens Flashlight
on sale
$9.99 After $10 OFF

Features:
700 lumen LED Aluminum Flashlight
Rubberized Ends for Added Durability

Anyway, I couldn't resist. Lights up my whole yard really great and won't scratch and wood tables. Only 2 modes, which like. 3 C-cells, which wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but $5 each with batteries. It feels really solid!

So, I'm just curious what you think about this flashlight, or what I can expect?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh. If memory serves, they are unregulated, which means you won't get peak output for a long time, but as budget friendly lights go, they get the job done.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
No experience with the Duracells but I have been tempted to buy them before. At $9.99 they definitely seem like a "no brainer". Since the Duracells aren't as common as other budget lights like the Rayovac Industrial I don't think they get much attention on this forum. Let us know how they work out in the long run. It is always nice to find low budget options that work well.

2cv

Newly Enlightened
TMedina - By unregulated, do you mean that the voltage isn't constant as the battery discharges, vs just constant voltage as the battery discharges? Just guessing from your comment.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an excellent distinction, and to be honest, I have no idea.

I am referring to the more conventional definitions: unregulated = as the power drains from the battery, the overall light output also diminishes.

Regulated = the light output stays at a constant output for a given length of time, before the flashlight "drops out of regulation" and either shuts down, or dims very quickly and then turns off.

I tend to be a fan of regulated lights, as some unregulated lights can start off high and drop off very quickly. Regulation usually implies some detail to the circuitry, rather than what I associate as the bare minimum needed to produce light.

To be sure, unregulated have their place: as a rule, they tend to be cheaper, and for brief uses, are more than adequate for most folks. I tend to find the numbers on unregulated lights to be disingenuous, and more heavily influenced by marketing than practical application. But take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

maglite mike

Enlightened
That is an excellent distinction, and to be honest, I have no idea.

I am referring to the more conventional definitions: unregulated = as the power drains from the battery, the overall light output also diminishes.

Regulated = the light output stays at a constant output for a given length of time, before the flashlight "drops out of regulation" and either shuts down, or dims very quickly and then turns off.

I tend to be a fan of regulated lights, as some unregulated lights can start off high and drop off very quickly. Regulation usually implies some detail to the circuitry, rather than what I associate as the bare minimum needed to produce light.

To be sure, unregulated have their place: as a rule, they tend to be cheaper, and for brief uses, are more than adequate for most folks. I tend to find the numbers on unregulated lights to be disingenuous, and more heavily influenced by marketing than practical application. But take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Don't forget the maglite ml50 LX 2 cell C cell

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the suggestions. I looked at them all, but when I was at costco I found in-store:

Duracell 2-pack LED 700 Lumens Flashlight
on sale
$9.99 After $10 OFF

Features:
700 lumen LED Aluminum Flashlight
Rubberized Ends for Added Durability

Anyway, I couldn't resist. Lights up my whole yard really great and won't scratch and wood tables. Only 2 modes, which like. 3 C-cells, which wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but $5 each with batteries. It feels really solid!

So, I'm just curious what you think about this flashlight, or what I can expect?

Picked up a pair today since the price is so good. Not sure of the actual output but the 700 may not be too far off the mark. I would guess the output on high will dive pretty fast if you run it for any length of time.
Using 3 eneloop AAs with AA to C adapters in mine with no visual difference in output,looks like it will be fine on NiMH.