Review: Olight H2R NW and CW

Budda

Enlightened
Due to severe time limitations, this review is published with a reduced amount of writing, pics, data.

The Olight H2R is a new headlamp, the 18650 version of the successful H1R. The H2R shares the design of the H1R, same electronic switch and magnetic charging system. The H2R claims a max output of 2300 lumens, has a new headlamp mount and is available both in CW and NW version.

As usual, Olight takes great care in the box of their lights.
Olight_H2R_1.jpg

Olight_H2R_2.jpg

Olight_H2R_3.jpg

Olight_H2R_5.jpg

The only difference between the CW and NW version is a mark on the CW or NW writing, on the side
Olight_H2R_4.jpg

Let's proceed with the unboxing
Olight_H2R_6.jpg

Olight_H2R_7.jpg

Olight_H2R_8.jpg

Olight_H2R_9.jpg

Olight_H2R_10.jpg

Olight_H2R_11.jpg

H2R (the battery in inside), headband, magnetic charging cable, replacement foam pad, manual.
Olight_H2R_12.jpg

The H2R (110x25x23mm / H2R 64g / H2R + Battery 109g / H2R + Battery + Mount 174g).
Olight_H2R_15.jpg

Olight_H2R_16.jpg

The usual magnetic tailcap with the integrated charging system
Olight_H2R_17.jpg

Olight_H2R_18.jpg

Olight_H2R_20.jpg

Olight_H2R_23.jpg

Olight_H2R_21.jpg

Olight_H2R_22.jpg

The long clip works both ways, and has a lanyard hole.
Olight_H2R_19.jpg

Olight_H2R_26.jpg

Visual differences between CW and NW
Olight_H2R_24.jpg

Olight_H2R_25.jpg

The H2R and the H1R, side to side comparison
Olight_H2R_31.jpg

Another change is the headband mount. Not only is easier to attach and remove the H2R to the headband, thanks to a "buckle" system
Olight_H2R_13.jpg

The back of the headband mount has a foam pad to make it more confortable to use the headband
Olight_H2R_32.jpg

And also has a magnet in it, allowing you to attach the whole headband and the light onto metallic surfaces
Olight_H2R_29.jpg

In case you are not interested in having a magnet in the headband mount, you can remove the magnet and use the replacement foam provided
Olight_H2R_28.jpg

The light can be attached to the headband mount even with the clip on, but it is a bit stretched and hard to rotate.
Olight_H2R_14.jpg

Olight_H2R_27.jpg

The best thing is to use it without the clip
Olight_H2R_30.jpg

UI

Standard Olight interface:
The light turns on and off with a single click.
From off, keep pressed the switch to turn the light on at moonlight
When the light is on keep pressed the switch to circle between low, mid and high mode.
The light has memory mode except for turbo (comes back on high).
Double click for turbo mode
Triple click for SOS.
Lockout mode: keep pressed the switch for more than 2seconds when the light is off. Re-do for unlocking the light.The provided proprietary RCR battery is an IMR, that is able to give high discharge performances without the risk of being over discharged since it is protected. This cell will work in other lights, because the only proprietary feature is its charging aspect: while the cell can be charged in any charger, the charging feature of the light works only with the proprietary cell. The light can function with any other CR or RCR cell, as long as they are button top, but can't recharge them.
To charge the battery just connect the magnetic base to the tailcap. During the charging process the light in base will be red, and green when the charging is done.
(Images from my review of the H1R)
DSCN1805_zpsrazcmmzm.jpg

DSCN1812_zpsfvpzstg0.jpg

DSCN1822_zps7zt80icf.jpg

DSCN1824_zps5b3ijupe.jpg

Beamshots
Olight_H2R_Beamshot_01.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_02.jpg

The tint of the NW is really good for my eyes. A warm and pleasant NW.
Olight_H2R_Beamshot_03.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_04.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_05.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_06.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_07.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_08.jpg

Olight_H2R_Beamshot_09.jpg

Output and runtime
Olight_H2R_Output.png

Olight_H2R_Runtime1.png

Olight_H2R_Runtime2.png

Olight_H2R_Runtime3.png

My thoughts
The light is well made and finished.
Output, regulation and runtime are good.
Beam is really great. I don't know if the optic is the same of the H1R, it looks very similar (also the emitter is different between the H1R and the H2R), but the beam is really ideal for a flood headlamp. The spill is wide and even if the light is held horizontally, it arrives at your feet. The throw is limited, as expected.
I like the new headband with the (removable) integrated headband, and the clip that works both ways.
I feel the lack of another level on the 1000ish lumen mode. I wish the lowest output mode would be low (a sublumen firefly).
The magnetic charging system is easy to operate, reliable at every connection and intuitive. Unfortunately it only works with OIight proprietary rechargeable 18650 cells, and the H2R works only with button top IMR cells.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the H2R. I've been using and waiting the H1R in my hikes and run, and I've been waiting for a light that shared the same beam and with more runtime. Not only the H2R delivers that, but it also adds a great tint (on the NW), a two way clip and a better headband system. I still wish it had 2-3 more levels.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help, the thermal camera and the luxmeter

Last edited:

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you Budda for the Runtime charts and for taking time and effort in posting your review.

WOW !! :Dfor that the massive wide-spread of monstrous Flood, it's a wall of light !

A few queries,
a) is the NW tint as warm and as nice as 3800 kelvin ?
b) how Hot that thing gets ?? ahh, like will your fingers get burnt when trying to switch down ?
c) to exit from Turbo, do you double press OR do you need to momentary off it and re-on this thing?

Like the flat regulation.
The turbo is crazy!

Although I have yet to receive my unit, I could imagine me wishing for this light to have a lot more throw.

Thanks and best regards

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
The specs might say the moonlight is 1 lumen, but it's lower real world probably half a lumen. I like a low mode but I'm not a fan of ultra low 0.1/0.2 lumen modes

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you very much Budda for the Thermal Video.

From your video, it looks like your NW unit is more stable, it's more gradual, even after the second turbo press. This looks ok.
Your CW unit varied a lot more.

Thank you again Budda for the video, very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
If this light sounds good... I suggest reading maukka's review before you buy one.

The included battery is not, in fact protected and those are live contacts on the tailcap. maukka was able to pull 20A from the battery and discharge it to 2.0V with no sign of a protection trip, as well as driving a 2A load from the contacts on the outside of the light. So that's an unprotected 18650 inside a metal tube with live contacts on the outside and a magnet behind them for attracting conductive objects. You're then supposed to put this contraption, which is really starting to sound like a pipe bomb about now, in your pocket or wear it on your head.

I'm not skittish about Li-ion batteries. I recommend unprotected 18650s on a regular basis and rarely use protected cells myself (do not over-discharge, short-circuit or eat unprotected 18650s). I run laptop pulls in series lights (tested for similar capacity and resistance, of course). I over-discharge cells intentionally while testing review lights. With that in mind, I don't want to be in the same room as an H2R.

Armytek uses a diode to prevent current flowing from the exposed contacts of its magnetic-charging lights. I measured only the 6.7μA standby current from the exposed contacts with the tailcap in the charge position, and none in the use position. Someone should tell Olight's engineers about this new technology.

proceed5

Enlightened
Hi Zak,
Noted with thanks.
Yes, I have read the reviews and comments from other reviewers/flashaholics re the live charging ports, appreciate the feedback.
Thank you Zak.
Yup, it is potentially dangerous to be carrying around a potentially harmful equipment.

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
If this light sounds good... I suggest reading maukka's review before you buy one.

The included battery is not, in fact protected and those are live contacts on the tailcap. maukka was able to pull 20A from the battery and discharge it to 2.0V with no sign of a protection trip, as well as driving a 2A load from the contacts on the outside of the light. So that's an unprotected 18650 inside a metal tube with live contacts on the outside and a magnet behind them for attracting conductive objects. You're then supposed to put this contraption, which is really starting to sound like a pipe bomb about now, in your pocket or wear it on your head.

I'm not skittish about Li-ion batteries. I recommend unprotected 18650s on a regular basis and rarely use protected cells myself (do not over-discharge, short-circuit or eat unprotected 18650s). I run laptop pulls in series lights (tested for similar capacity and resistance, of course). I over-discharge cells intentionally while testing review lights. With that in mind, I don't want to be in the same room as an H2R.

Armytek uses a diode to prevent current flowing from the exposed contacts of its magnetic-charging lights. I measured only the 6.7μA standby current from the exposed contacts with the tailcap in the charge position, and none in the use position. Someone should tell Olight's engineers about this new technology.

The fact is you can't short it out via the contacts because I submersed it in water and nothing bad happens, you can put a wire right across it and again nothing happens. A paper clip on the top terminals directly on the battery a slight spark then nothing, no protection circuit bad things would happen there
It's not a perfect light, but dangerous it isn't

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast

The fact is you can't short it out via the contacts because I submersed it in water and nothing bad happens, you can put a wire right across it and again nothing happens. A paper clip on the top terminals directly on the battery a slight spark then nothing, no protection circuit bad things would happen there
It's not a perfect light, but dangerous it isn't

Watching the video on you tube Mr Baz posted, the H2r's battery appears to be protected. Among the 50 pictures in this review I can't tell if this lights battery is protected. There must be some potential safety issue to have a " Do Not Short Circuit " warning printed on the magnetic tail cap by Olight.

I no longer use headlamps with magnetic tail caps. One time I put my Spark headlamp on my head and realized one of the razorblades I had been using was stuck to it after having set the light down. I did not get cut but I don't need to worry about cutting my face while working.