Review: Fenix TK25IR: 1x18650, 2 infrared + 2 XP-G2 S3 LEDS, 1000 lumens; (beams)hots

kj75

Enlightened
In the world of flashlights it's nice to see when a manufacturer comes with something new, or an unique addition. Recently, Fenix launched the TK25, that comes in two versions: One fitted with white and red/blue-option, the other version has both white and infrared light. The IR-version arrived in my mail; I looked forward to try out my first infrared torch! Because infrared is barely visible for human eyes, I needed some special gear (a night scope) to see what this light puts out. In this review I will show you some unique features and options of the TK25IR, and show you also how the light performs in the dark, by special beamshots. Let's have a closer look at this special Fenix!

something new created by Fenix
aoxmiq.jpg

a compact tactical torch
xc3inq.jpg

that has both two XP-G2 S3 LEDS
1z9gmx.jpg

and two infrared emitters
169hu9g.jpg

a compact light with unique features!
so01zp.jpg

As usual, we'll start by looking at the manufacturer specs:

Features:

* Uses Cree XP-G2 S3 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
* Rotary flashlight head for switching between white and infrared light
* Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
* 3000mW max infrared light, two output choices of High and Low
* Fitted with 850nm infrared light – compatible with most infrared night vision devices
* Quick-release belt clip
* Low-voltage warning reminds when battery replacement/charging is needed
* Reverse polarity protection to protect from improper battery insertion
* Overheat protection to avoid high temperature of the surface
* Tactical tail switch with instant and momentary-on activation
* Functional tail switch for output selection and instant strobe activation
* Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
* Premium type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
* Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Dimensions:

* 142.6mm / 5.6" length
* 25.4mm / 1.0" body diameter
* 40mm / 1.5" head diameter
* 156.5 grams excluding battery

And the output specs:
8vu4g1.jpg

Unboxing:

The TK25IR is packed in a rather big carton that is in Fenix-style: Main colors are black and orange; attractive pictures and a description of the light on the back. The box has a plastic hanging-loop now, this will be more durable for retailers because this one won't torn easily. To me, it's almost impossible to open this box and take out the plastic container without something falling out. It should be a better option to have some cut-outs for the accessories and the manual. Except a suited cell everything we need is in; the most striking part besides the TK25IR is the belt-clip. So, a neat, attractive and complete box here! Scroll down to watch a couple of pictures about the package and what's in!

attractive box in main black and orange color
aetkhv.jpg

a plastic loop
2wef7kz.jpg

all specs at the back
2hwjqx3.jpg

the contents: except battery almost all we need is there
14ubdye.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: Compact and solid! To me, this is one of the most compact TK-series that I had my hands on. Striking at this light are the head with built in double reflectors, the engraving on the head and the shape of the tail. The TK25IR comes in nice black color and is excellent constructed. A double layered tube makes this torch a very sturdy one. The anodizing job is done very good, I couldn't see any defects here. The body has a fine texture for best grip. The TK25IR can't stand on its tail. The light has a nice anti-rolling design, even without the detachable clip, which I like. The engraving (in grey color) is done well. Behind the lights' head there's a white dot engraved and also two times "IR" and "W". This is a part of the unique system that the TK25 has, with a rotary head. I'll tell you later how it works in the interface-paragraph. The edge on the lights' head is designed to use this torch for defending too. The reflector in the head reminds me to the TK32-2016 brother, but the TK25IR has four LEDS built-in, two white XP-G2 S4's and two infrared emitters. By rotating the head (which can be done infinitely), the two white or infrared LEDS are shown and activated. One LED (both white and infrared) was slightly off-center at my light. Not a big issue to me, maybe it's due to this system. The torch comes with a strong clip, that is easily to attach and detach. The tail has the same styling as the TK32-2016: a clicky for on/off and lower positioned button for mode selecting and direct strobe. The threads run smooth when we release the cap; some grease is recommended. The threads show that the light can't be locked out by releasing the cap a bit. Inside the cap and the tube (that has double springs) it's all high-quality-finishing. So all-in-all: Another high-quality product made by Fenix that feels durable and long-lasting. Please have a look below at my pictures that show more details and impressions about the TK25IR!

the TK25IR, a compact tactical light
nvtzdi.jpg

good anti-rolling design, even without clip
2naqyq8.jpg

almost palm-sized, easy to handle
2469tgp.jpg

engraving is on the lights head
2gujpll.jpg

no tail standing possible
2i0gnxi.jpg

a fine texture on the body
znvsdu.jpg

powered by two XP-G2 S3 white LEDS
2eclo3m.jpg

and two infrared LEDS
35mmyb8.jpg

can run on button-top as on flat-top cells, even on two CR123A's
96l4y1.jpg

the strong clip can be attached at one way
2dciiz6.jpg

on the back a clicky and a mode-switch
xdrol3.jpg

a close-up to the lanyard-hole
k0ngwm.jpg

also suited for self-defending
2w7mmvr.jpg

the white dot informs about actual modus
2j0md5w.jpg

the white output-mode chosen here
644fb5.jpg

a close-up to the front
7bcn.jpg

and the back
2ikqqm1.jpg

well machined threads
i6wmcy.jpg

high quality inside
2hpjclg.jpg

a look into the tube
24pfl7m.jpg

double white XP-G2 S3 LED
2vto0zr.jpg

and double infrared
3zmvt.jpg

engraving-job well done
2dl0y20.jpg

stable standing on head
2hi359h.jpg

with added lanyard
30iz8ms.jpg

comes with a new accessory: a belt clip
x4ned0.jpg

an easy way to carry the TK25IR
260pgs2.jpg

can be locked by a rubber for extra safety
35iu96t.jpg

easy operation
ilbt6s.jpg

wearing the TK25IR
ab2r92.jpg

and hands-free using the light
ipr1py.jpg

the LEDS are slightly off-center
13yjfvo.jpg

same to the infrared LEDS
xdxj69.jpg

my home-made construction to try out the infrared option
2pr66pt.jpg

the remote control AER-03 fits to the TK25IR too
257io8i.jpg

easy operation, even with gloves
2dm8ker.jpg

User interface:

Like we saw earlier, the TK25IR has compact dimensions and is easy to carry. Because of the double body-layer it is a rather heavy light, but sturdy. The TK25IR has good grip, even when wearing gloves , and the light can be controlled by one hand.

Good point is that the TK25IR can run on different batteries; I tested the light with several brands. But button- and flat-tops can be used, using two CR123A's is an option too.

The unique feature of the TK25IR is the rotary head. The light has four LEDS built-in, but has "only" two reflectors. By turning the head, (which can be done infinite, great option!) you place the reflectors before the LEDS. A very nice find of Fenix! It works fine, and can be done by one hand. You can preset your desired modus, but can change also from infrared to white and back with the light on. Really love this feature: It's a great find; maybe in future Fenix will come with more options like this! How about (for example) neutral and cool white LEDS built-in one flashlight?

The interface works the same like most recent Fenix tactical-torches: Half press the clicky for momentary-on, a full press or click for constant on. Use the secondary button (that's on the "capped" part of the cap and placed some beneath) to choose the desired mode. The TK25IR remembers the last used white mode, infrared always start on highest mode. Press and hold the mode button for instant-strobe, this works (only in white modus) both from on and off. Of course, when you turned the lights' head for infrared option, you can't have strobe anymore. When in infrared-modus, the mode button can be used for (momentary) infrared from off. The TK25IR is equipped with an overheat-protection: If the temperature reaches 65 degrees or higher, the light will decrease output (not a full step) until the temperature will be beneath 65. No accurate voltage reading on the TK25IR, still waiting for that, but a low-voltage warning. The light drops down a level if the cell is close to depletion, if it's almost exhausted, the light will blink three times per five minutes.

Modes:

The TK25IR has four white modes: LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO. With an extra mode, the spacing would be better, now there's a big step between MED and TURBO. Only one special white mode here: STROBE. The infrared option has two levels: HIGH and LOW. Good to have a lower option here, more economical, and better for shorter distance, because your view will be overexposed. The TK25IR has a LOW-VOLTAGE warning, but I miss a LOCK-OUT. With some exercise, you can turn the head a little, to lock the light. But I'd like to see this issue improved by Fenix. Overall, most modes we need for a light like this are there.

Size comparison:

For comparison, I picked some lights of the same size that have equal (white) output / throw. I will use these ones for my beamshots too.

18650-cell, Fenix TK25IR, Thorfire C8S and Fenix FD41
2lxb29g.jpg

Fenix TK25IR, Thorfire C8S and Fenix FD41
2q1vu4y.jpg

Fenix TK25IR, Thorfire C8S and Fenix FD41
29wssjr.jpg

Thorfire C8S, Fenix TK25IR and Fenix FD41
2q8wxmu.jpg

the heads: XM-L2, XP-G2 S3and XP-L HI
219clmv.jpg

the tails: Thorfire C8S, Fenix TK25IR and Fenix FD41
2yn5np2.jpg

Tint:

A coolwhite tint here (as expected); there's some blue in the spill. The profile of the Thorfire C8S has more blue, the FD41 has a more neutral tint.

2vsqnpi.jpg

Beamprofile:

The TK25IR has two reflectors and also two XP-G2 S3 emitters, you can see this in the beam. Projecting the light on a wall, you can see the "ears" of the profile at the edges. Outside this isn't noticeable. The TK25IR has a mixed beamprofile; a "two-in-one" because of the two emitters, so a broad beam that's made to light up a big area up to medium distance. So, not a "pocket-thrower" here, but a light that will illuminate a lot up to about 100 – 150 meters away. Typical to this profile is the tiny corona, so the outdoor-shots show a clear hotspot and a bright spill. Please check my beamshots below that show what I mean. No defects in the beam, neither PWM. Again a good job here!

Beamshots:

As usual, starting my beamshots-session by projecting the light on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meters away; the four white output-modes shown here, followed by a GIF.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/200 sec, 35mm
rml8gz.jpg

103isk2.jpg

nmjinn.jpg

25hihzl.jpg

GIF-picture
2s1rfqf.jpg

Going outdoors now; starting with the white output modes here. My tripod placed on a road with a tree line and a wall on the right. Again the four white modes and a GIF, after that some shoot-outs against the other lights I showed you earlier.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
fc60w7.jpg

34441zc.jpg

vidt9f.jpg

5bv0qu.jpg

a GIF-picture:
abmqkw.jpg

A shoot-out now between the TK25IR and the FD41-brother. You can clearly see here that the XP-L HI of the FD41 has better throw; but the double XP-G2 S3 LEDS of the TK25IR perform much better at closer distance.

the TK25IR against the FD41-brother, both at turbo:
2qvqm1c.jpg

The Thorfire C8S has a deep reflector that gives this torch good throw. Thanks to the double LEDS of the TK25IR the spill is almost as wide as the C8S, but much brighter.

the TK25IR against the Thorfire C8S, both on highest output mode:
awesl3.jpg

To show the infrared option of the TK25IR, I used the Bresser NV 5x50 night vision camera. Please keep in mind that the quality of the pictures is some less than my other beamshots, because the built-in cam hasn't a very high resolution. To take this pictures, I mounted my self-made construction (see photo below) on a tripod.

the TK25IR mounted on the Bresser NV 5x50 night-scope
1zwjith.jpg

Location one: some wickets in a river, about 60 meters away.

through night vision camera without infrared
1z5oy91.jpg

through night vision camera with low infrared
30ndef4.jpg

through night vision camera with high infrared
2i0envq.jpg

Location two: a fence; distance about 40 meters.

through the Bresser without infrared
am5uu0.jpg

through night vision camera with low infrared
259gz0h.jpg

2cmvxig.jpg

Location three: A manger at about 30 meters away; some sheep at the background.

through night vision camera without infrared
ftdhlh.jpg

6on42w.jpg

a swan at about 75 meters away
300tcls.jpg

I'll show you some short video's too now, also captured with the Bresser NV 5x50. Starting by looking through the goggles without infrared option, and turning the TK25IR (on highest mode) on and again off.

Location one: Shining on the banks of the river near to entrance of a little port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU9Xh9avrmk

Location two: Three ducks on the river at about 100 meters away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUJ85zZ3Z4

Conclusion:

It was very special to me to try out a flashlight that has infrared-option! The TK25IR feels like others Fenix-torches I tried out before: Very well built and finished and lasting for many years. Also characteristic to this brand: A simple interface with not that many options, but sufficient for the task that the light is meant for. Also I like the rotary-head-feature, a great find of the manufacturer. The IR-option is really great: Lighting up your trail up to 75 meters is possible; spotting animals up to 100-150 meters away is no problem with the TK25IR. I used a mid-end night scope for this job; if you are a lucky owner of a high-end scope (that is too expensive to me) your view will be even better, I sure of! The two infrared modes are needed because at shorter distance the higher mode can be blinding to your eyes. Please beware that you don't leave the light unguarded when it's at infrared; looking into the two red dots can cause damage to your eyes! The included belt-clip is a nice accessory for hands free-working.

So, the TK25IR is a compact tactical light with good white option, but the very special feature on this light is the infrared option that gives the opportunity to see what's going on at night while you remain invisible!

Special thanks to Fenixlight and KATO for providing the Fenix TK25IR!

Last edited:

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you KJ75 to post review of the TK25IR.
wow to the IR video & pictures.
Did you also receive the Red&Blue version ?