Flashlight Suggestion for Soldier

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

My buddy is being deployed soon, and I want to put together some kit for him as a gift. In the kit, I want to put in a nice personal light.

Details about his assignment:

Job: Medical, mostly on base, with some spec ops (can't go into much more detail than that)

Already issued lights: Surefire weapon lights (not sure of model) for both rifle and pistol, Surefire 6px Tactical

I'm looking to get him something small, durable, dependable, and easy to use/hold with gloves on. I'm thinking one cell cr123 or AA since he already had a two cell 6px. I want something that's super portable and pocketable for use on base, but also capable for use "in action" in a pinch if he had to bug out quick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit for questions:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

No preference

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to 250 USD

3) Format:

Hand held flashlight

4) Size

Small, pocketable, but easy to use with gloves on

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

Single cell disposable cr123 or AA

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?

High mode enough to navigate/clear a building, low mode enough to navigate a dark room to safely get to the bathroom without waking bunk mates

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Good mixture of both

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

Other side of a large room

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

1-2 hours on high

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Tail cap, large enough to use with gloves

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

At least 2 modes (high and low). I'm ok if there is also strobe, but it isn't necessary.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Metal, black

15) Water resistance

Realistically waterproof (rain, drop in puddles)

16) Storage conditions

Pocket

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

Pocket clip, easy to find/obtain replacement parts

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
This thread will be moved soon to the " Recommend... " subforum, but please take a look at the pinned sticky (questionnaire) there.

Your request is rather vague on specifics, so you will get better advice, if you "copy-paste" that post with your (his) needs and wants with regard to this torch.

Cheers !

As a starting point, you may also want to look at HDS, and see what you like (or don't) since many here may suggest that particular choice :)

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
This thread will be moved soon to the " Recommend... " subforum, but please take a look at the pinned sticky (questionnaire) there.

Your request is rather vague on specifics, so you will get better advice, if you "copy-paste" that post with your (his) needs and wants with regard to this torch.

Cheers !

As a starting point, you may also want to look at HDS, and see what you like (or don't) since many here may suggest that particular choice :)

Thanks! I'll heed your advice and edit my post.

Nephron44

Enlightened

Cheers !

Updated! Thanks!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary Black Bezel RAISED BUTTON would be a great suggestion. Easy to use with gloves too. Tons of lighting options. I would probably do a holster? Not sure if they have room on their waist for that. IF they are are against a holster, then a clickie with Raised button would work well if they must have a pocket clip. I would take it a step further and get them a Custom with High CRI version. That way they have a variety of lighting options.

Other ideas:
Elzetta Alpha with flood lens & High Low tailcap
Surefire Aviator New single cell version
Nitecore SRT3 (budget offering)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary Black Bezel RAISED BUTTON would be a great suggestion. Easy to use with gloves too. Tons of lighting options. I would probably do a holster? Not sure if they have room on their waist for that. IF they are are against a holster, then a clickie with Raised button would work well if they must have a pocket clip. I would take it a step further and get them a Custom with High CRI version. That way they have a variety of lighting options.

Other ideas:
Elzetta Alpha with flood lens & High Low tailcap
Surefire Aviator New single cell version
Nitecore SRT3 (budget offering)

'Nuff said.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the hds was already mentioned, I would also recommend the zebralight h32 or h302 headlamp

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of thoughts:

1. stick with a single CR123. He's already going to have those cells coming out of his ears with the rest of his kit.
2. Surefire is running a sale on their flashlights through this weekend. I'd go with either the Aviator with a non-white secondary; amber or blue, given his role. Or the EB1 Maxvision backup.

Tell your buddy to keep his head down.