Most weight efficient commercially available single 18650 spot/flood

Keitho

Enlightened
I use my single 18650's for EDC, and like flood to spot/flood beams. I know it is uncommon to see on this forum, but I don't care too much about perfect tint or high CRI, and more about taking every bit of energy possible from an 18650 and making lots of photons for as long as possible.

I love my Zebralights...what others should I look at?

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably going to be tough to beat an sc63 in terms of weight and efficiency. Is that among your current herd of Zebras?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say spot/flood are you looking for a light that will switch between two different modes of spot and flood, or just a light that has a spot-type hot spot (center of beam) with a flood area around it? And what distances are we talking about and what might the subject matter be?

Keitho

Enlightened
Yes, either an SC63 or SC600 mk III are in my pocket almost every day recently. I said "spot/flood," but probably should have said "narrow flood." Subject matter is usually closer than 20 feet, outdoors or at work, and too much contrast between hot spot and spill isn't useful to me.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some diffuser film on the Zebralight? You can try Scotch Magic Tape to get an idea of how it works. I have Magic Tape on my Zebras and it only slightly reduces throw while smoothing out the beam. Diffuser film will have slightly more effect than the Magic Tape.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
My Convoy C8 clear anodized has an intense beam, real thrower. The hot spot is very intense. I put some DC-Fix diffuser film on the lens and it turned that intensity into more of a "narrow flood" which I find more useful around the house/yard/garage. I would say it's right between spot and flood. I realize the C8 is designed for throw and the head size makes it too big for pocket EDC, just giving testimony on the effectiveness of a good diffuser film when you want to smooth out that hotspot. Works for me. (I like my lights floody and have installed that stuff on most of them). A light that has caught my eye for closer uses is the Pflex Pro Convoy S2+ modded with triple nichias and fully potted electronics. I have never seen one in person but it might be an option for what you seek.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Personally, was looking at the Eagletac DX30LC2-SR for it's TWO SEPARATE lamps.....a more throwy one OTF and a floody sidelamp. Not too many reviews, though.....

I like the usb rechargeable, 1000 lumens (front) or 500 lumens (side), multiple modes, and 2 clickys, too.

But then, I'm a novice CPF guy.....

Genzod

Banned
I checked a few. You might find the headlamps lighter (the ZL SC63 is hard to beat as a flashlight because it's practically just an 18650 "headlamp" turned to shoot straight. But if you want a hot dog, straight shooter only, ZL is the wiener for you.

Acebeam H10 32 lumens/gram (headlamp)

Zebralight SC63 34 lm/g (flashlight)

Armytek Wizard Pro XHP50 37.5 lm/g (headlamp)

Keitho

Enlightened
I checked a few. You might find the headlamps lighter (the ZL SC63 is hard to beat as a flashlight because it's practically just an 18650 "headlamp" turned to shoot straight. But if you want a hot dog, straight shooter only, ZL is the wiener for you.

Despite my current infatuation with zebralight, I might have to check out that armytek and acebeam. They both look like lights I'd like: useful wider beam, decent tint, and weight efficient.

I'm really trying to not be a ZL fanboy, but the SC63 and H600's *are* quite a bit cheaper than the armytek and acebeam...

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are those numbers based on? Manufacturer's specs, or actual OTF lumens? Zebralight is very close to their stated numbers lately, Armytek uses theoretical LED lumens that are way off from OTF lumens.

Genzod

Banned
What are those numbers based on? Manufacturer's specs, or actual OTF lumens? Zebralight is very close to their stated numbers lately, Armytek uses theoretical LED lumens that are way off from OTF lumens.

Armytek also states OTF lumens, which is the spec I was careful to use here.

Click specifications below: 1800 lm / 48 grams = 37.5 lm/gram.

My mother once told me there were FOUR things you didn't discuss in mixed company: Sex, politics, religion and "comparing rival flashlight vendors in the same forum post" (someone might get the wrong idea).

She was a wise woman. :laughing:

Last edited: